Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 15, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #3,106 of 18,519
Probably should have posted this here vs under TT2 forum. Thanks for the feedback.

I’m considering selling my TT and GSX Mk2 for a TT2. Previously to drive my LCD-4s I felt that I needed the GSK Mk2 but with the added power of the TT2 I think I can do away with it and simplify my system. The next question then is do I add the M scaler or not. Can you guys clarify something for me since I don’t use lossless sources. If I use Apple Music does that run at 44.1 or 48 or 96 and what will the M scaler upscale that source to? If I use tidal does that run at 44.1 or 48 or 96 and what will the M scaler upscale that source to? Will there be a huge difference between Apple Music and tidal using the M scaler or are both of these sources considered inferior and the M scaler will be a waste. Thanks

Nov 15, 2018 at 3:16 PM Post #3,107 of 18,519
i would suggest using lossless sources if you plan to spend the money on such products...shame to waste all that high equipment on mp3

Nov 15, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #3,108 of 18,519
Probably should have posted this here vs under TT2 forum. Thanks for the feedback.

And I replied in the TT2 thread...

Common lossy formats are 16/44.1, but they are lossy, meaning you lose information in exchange for file size and possibly dynamic range and errors that will never be able to be recovered. Apple Music is 256kbps AAC lossy 16/44.1 and if you change the sampling rate then you are further messing with an already compressed format. Only you can tell if it will be audible to you. Personally, for streaming I would go for lossless 16/44.1 like Tidal HiFi if spending this kind of money on TOTL gear. Give it the best food it can eat, so to speak.

Of course the HMS will upscale what ever it gets, that what it does, and it will scale it to the max if you are connected with dual BNC to a Chord DAC. It’s really just a matter of how good the source file is. There’s also mixing and mastering to consider as many albums in today’s world are mastered terribly (no matter the format) with very poor dynamic range and distortions, which the HMS will not hide.

Nov 15, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #3,109 of 18,519
Finally picked up my M Scaler earlier today, just finished plugging it all in and about to put some tunes on and see just how good it really is. Can't wait!

Nov 15, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #3,110 of 18,519
I suspect that one needs to be careful about that word 'beat'. I have not heard TT2 but I do have Dave and HMS and Blu2 and I can imagine that for some people the better transparency of Dave might be more important that a combined HMS and TT2. This is not quite the same as merely testing which car is the faster one and saying that the fastest one wins.
Thanks for adding some nuance to my statements, and the car analogy is good. I can only agree with you, but I believe "beat" has been used before in remarks stating that some <other Chord model than Dave> plus HMS would "outperform" the solo Dave. There have even been posts "ranking" H2+HMS and TT2+HMS higher than solo Dave in some made up top something list, and when some people, that by the way never have lived with a Dave, start to adopt this belief like it is the ultimate truth, I just get a bit tired.
I will also stress that I am sure that H2/TT2+HMS would be the best choice for many people, simply because the combo would sound best to their ears.

Nov 15, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #3,111 of 18,519
Thanks for adding some nuance to my statements, and the car analogy is good. I can only agree with you, but I believe "beat" has been used before in remarks stating that some <other Chord model than Dave> plus HMS would "outperform" the solo Dave. There have even been posts "ranking" H2+HMS and TT2+HMS higher than solo Dave in some made up top something list, and when some people, that by the way never have lived with a Dave, start to adopt this belief like it is the ultimate truth, I just get a bit tired.
I will also stress that I am sure that H2/TT2+HMS would be the best choice for many people, simply because the combo would sound best to their ears.

There is no doubt that for some people TT2 + HMS is the more obvious choice rather than solo DAVE especially if hard to drive headphones or direct driven speakers are involved but trying solo DAVE is probably a good idea as well especially as the HMS can always be added later. (By the way, I also joined in those few threads with the ranking list but it was only a bit of fun and not at all serious. Everyone’s tongue was very firmly pressed in their cheeks, I hope.)

Nov 15, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #3,113 of 18,519
Hey guys, anyone in the states that has MScaler on pre-order get an update on availability? I thought it was right about now they should be here for pre-orders. My source has not yet responded to my status request. Curious to what you all may know.

Nov 15, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #3,117 of 18,519
There is no doubt that for some people TT2 + HMS is the more obvious choice rather than solo DAVE...
If I was faced with that very decision I would just buy the DAVE because within this community you're bound to upgrade. I started this hobby with the Sony MDR-V700DJ headphones and now I'm in deep. :)

Nov 15, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #3,119 of 18,519
2MScaler ummm i wonder....:thinking:

I find myself in a position where i shall soon be able to add a tt2 to my hms or go solo dave what is everyone's advice? There has been healthy feedback on the pm1 + dave synergy from other headfiers. Auditioning is extremely difficult due to the proximity of dealers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back