Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Oct 12, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #1,891 of 18,453
After reading Vlad the usb impaler’s micro usb article, I think he broke his micro usb port, which made him mad.

He says all of the above, your second paragraph, but he prefaces it with, “Chord Hugo 2, the worst kind of audiophile equipment”. What kind of statement does that make to people/potentional buyers who saw the headline ? By the looks of it, I think he put personal preference over professionalism. Thats ok, as whazzzup said, different review opinions is a good thing, it gives us more scope to judge if the product is worth buying.

I agree with you the title is really insulting but after reading his review several times I believe he's just stating his honest truth, he really wanted to like the product but for many reasons, it just wasn't his sound preference. I sensed an overall frustration in his experience, especially since he said he had a lot of preconceived beliefs and excitement prior to actually receiving one. And after he received H2 his feelings shifted toward the opposite spectrum even though he wanted it to sound good.

Oct 12, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #1,892 of 18,453
After reading Vlad the usb impaler’s micro usb article, I think he broke his micro usb port, which made him mad.

He says all of the above, your second paragraph, but he prefaces it with, “Chord Hugo 2, the worst kind of audiophile equipment”. What kind of statement does that make to people/potentional buyers who saw the headline ? By the looks of it, I think he put personal preference over professionalism. Thats ok, as whazzzup said, different review opinions is a good thing, it gives us more scope to judge if the product is worth buying.

I thought I read somewhere that USB-C had a hack vulnerability or was that not true?

Oct 13, 2018 at 3:58 AM Post #1,893 of 18,453
I agree with you the title is really insulting but after reading his review several times I believe he's just stating his honest truth, he really wanted to like the product but for many reasons, it just wasn't his sound preference. I sensed an overall frustration in his experience, especially since he said he had a lot of preconceived beliefs and excitement prior to actually receiving one. And after he received H2 his feelings shifted toward the opposite spectrum even though he wanted it to sound good.

It was months ago that I read it, and now I can’t remember most of it. But the title did stand out, that alone could of caused prospective buyers from buying one. This is something reviewers have to keep in mind, a review thats done in anger, frustration or whatever, it can influence alot of people, dependent on what site the review came from.

I will have a re-read later today to refresh my sticks of ddr 5 ram.

Oct 13, 2018 at 4:11 AM Post #1,894 of 18,453
I thought I read somewhere that USB-C had a hack vulnerability or was that not true?

I remember something regarding that also, but if I recall it had to be done locally, and with changes to the usb devices hardware, aka not a real security risk. Again, don’t quote me as it being 100%, as I read about it a while ago.

Hugo 2 was released last year, if you ask me, it shipping with micro usb is fine, maybe if it was being released now or next year, it would of been a good idea to use usb c. However, how many people have more than 1 usb c capable device ? I doubt that many do, if they have it will be for an android phone.

I have had USB capable motherboards for atleast 3-4 years, but I dont have a device that I can plug into them. Until everything starts dumping usb 1- 3.1 usb c will always play second fiddle to them.

Oct 13, 2018 at 5:38 AM Post #1,895 of 18,453
It would need to be

1, a USB - C to USB - B cable.

Or

2, a USB - C to a Female USB - A adapter, and from there a male USB - A to a USB - B cable.

Thats the only way usb can connect to the mscaler.

Have you tested it? Because the 2nd does not work with the Hugo 2. The Note8 comes with a male USB-c to female USB-A adapter and it does connect to drives and other phones that way but not to the Hugo 2 with it's male USB A to USB micro b. I had to order a special cable from china that was direct USB-C to micro b.

Oct 13, 2018 at 7:37 AM Post #1,896 of 18,453
Have you tested it? Because the 2nd does not work with the Hugo 2. The Note8 comes with a male USB-c to female USB-A adapter and it does connect to drives and other phones that way but not to the Hugo 2 with it's male USB A to USB micro b. I had to order a special cable from china that was direct USB-C to micro b.

I have not tested it, I don’t have any devices apart from motherboards that use USB C, I was merely suggesting what it would take to connect a USB cable to Hugo 2.

If I recall, there was similar problems with android users a few years back with mojo, it needed to be a usb OTG cable, on the go cable that allowed music to be heard.

The 1st option I listed, it would be the best solution, the adapter way, thats what it would look like in theory, but in practise, as you’ve seen, it may or may not work. To be honest, you are better off spending a little more cash to get a single cable that fits both devices, infact, if when it arrives, if it works, buy another one or two, as you may have a hard problem finding those cables again.

Thats how I roll, if I need a cable, a very specific cable, usually I buy a few as spares.

Oct 13, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #1,897 of 18,453
I have not tested it, I don’t have any devices apart from motherboards that use USB C, I was merely suggesting what it would take to connect a USB cable to Hugo 2.

If I recall, there was similar problems with android users a few years back with mojo, it needed to be a usb OTG cable, on the go cable that allowed music to be heard.

The 1st option I listed, it would be the best solution, the adapter way, thats what it would look like in theory, but in practise, as you’ve seen, it may or may not work. To be honest, you are better off spending a little more cash to get a single cable that fits both devices, infact, if when it arrives, if it works, buy another one or two, as you may have a hard problem finding those cables again.

Thats how I roll, if I need a cable, a very specific cable, usually I buy a few as spares.

Samsung needs OTG cable. If I'm wrong it is a real benefit to have in armamentarium any way.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #1,898 of 18,453
I am testing an M-Scaler with my Chord Dave and am getting a lot of drop outs - at times several a minute. I am running 44.1 kHz ALAC files from my iMac using Roon. The same issue occurs with iTunes. It only occurs in dual BNC mode at 705.6 kHz, it goes away in all other modes. Have others experienced this? Any ideas on why this is occurring?

Oct 13, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #1,899 of 18,453
I am testing an M-Scaler with my Chord Dave and am getting a lot of drop outs - at times several a minute. I am running 44.1 kHz ALAC files from my iMac using Roon. The same issue occurs with iTunes. It only occurs in dual BNC mode at 705.6 kHz, it goes away in all other modes. Have others experienced this? Any ideas on why this is occurring?

Try the other pair of BNC plugs in the DAVE

Oct 14, 2018 at 3:28 AM Post #1,901 of 18,453
Thanks, that worked! Strange issue, I wonder if it is a problem with the DAVE.
This issue has been reported several times since the Blu 2 came out last year. I had it when I borrowed a Blu 2 - dropouts on one pair of inputs, ok on the other pair - but no problem when I bought my own Blu 2. My M Scaler is working just fine with both pairs of DAVE inputs.

Rob Watts offered this explanation https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...-official-thread.831343/page-85#post-13682030

Oct 14, 2018 at 3:45 AM Post #1,902 of 18,453
Oct 14, 2018 at 4:44 AM Post #1,903 of 18,453
I know this is a sensitive question - but may I ask if someone tried his M Scaler with an alternative power supply. You can also send me a PM :slight_smile:

Oct 14, 2018 at 4:51 AM Post #1,904 of 18,453
Thanks, that worked! Strange issue, I wonder if it is a problem with the DAVE.
You're welcome! I had the same problem when I received my Blu2in May last year. On one pair of BNCs it has dropouts every minute or so. I changed to the others and problem solved. Enjoy it

Oct 14, 2018 at 8:31 AM Post #1,905 of 18,453
I know this is a sensitive question - but may I ask if someone tried his M Scaler with an alternative power supply. You can also send me a PM :slight_smile:

Would like to know this too...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back