Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Oct 12, 2018 at 6:44 AM Post #1,876 of 18,448
When you mention Darko and H2, which he gave a good review of, I just can’t help but think of the verge, and it’s crap review of H2. I don’t know what type of drugs the reviewer was taking at the time, but it clearly was ototoxic.

Well I had to read the verge review of ch2. Interesting. While I didn’t come to the same overall conclusion of musicality I did struggle in testing ch1 and ch2 because while I did find the detail and separation in the mids and lower note detail I preferred the ch1 bass and vocals. Now I’m no tech but came to a conclusion that part of ch2 success or ch1 failures are in fact opposite to some degree. I’m no golden ear but I did find the glory reviews by others of night and day better as a function of my declining acuity. But maybe I wasn’t alone. I also agree the balls and filters were unnecessary, just give us the goods thanks.
Of course overall my conclusion diverged from the verge but interesting. Ymmv,IMO....

Oct 12, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #1,877 of 18,448
Well I had to read the verge review of ch2. Interesting. While I didn’t come to the same overall conclusion of musicality I did struggle in testing ch1 and ch2 because while I did find the detail and separation in the mids and lower note detail I preferred the ch1 bass and vocals. Now I’m no tech but came to a conclusion that part of ch2 success or ch1 failures are in fact opposite to some degree. I’m no golden ear but I did find the glory reviews by others of night and day better as a function of my declining acuity. But maybe I wasn’t alone. I also agree the balls and filters were unnecessary, just give us the goods thanks.
Of course overall my conclusion diverged from the verge but interesting. Ymmv,IMO....

For extended listening I find myself gravitating to the Hugo TT from the H2. There is more detail from H2 but engagement is TT.

Oct 12, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #1,878 of 18,448
Same

Oct 12, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #1,880 of 18,448
How are people connecting Hugo 2 to the Mscaler?

Oct 12, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #1,882 of 18,448
Moon Audio makes an adapter. I am sure WAVE @Triode User will also?

I sell the Audioquest convertor with my BNC cables but these adapters are also cheap to buy from Amazon and it means you can keep the dual BNC cables in case you change to a different Chord DAC later on. You also need a pair of BNC to RCA convertors but these are also very cheap to buy from Amazon and elsewhere. These Amazon screen shots are just to let you see what I mean. Hope that helps.

Screen Shot 2018-10-12 at 17.56.45.png
Screen Shot 2018-10-12 at 18.00.09.png

Oct 12, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #1,883 of 18,448
Does someone know a working USB C cable to use my Galaxy Note8 with the m scaler?

Oct 12, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #1,884 of 18,448

Yes, I agree with some parts of the verge’s review, balls for example, but like yourself, I still found it to be a worthy product to buy and enjoy. I have never tried either H1 or TT. I would however like to compare them to H2, just to see if I can notice any differences between them. My hearing is not the best, so it’s possible that I may not notice any differences between the three products. I just hope I notice a change with my soon to be mscaler.

I do know what you mean about opposite ends of the scale reviews, for sure, those reviews, they give people a better idea of the product thats being reviewed. It’s good point’s and also it’s flaws, normally, great reviews either gloss over and fail to mention a products faults, or they give it lip service and mention something in a single sentence.

My conclusion of the verge review, it was a while ago that I read it, but I did find it to be anti chord, not because it’s a bad review, but merely because of it’s tone in which it was written. But as you say, opposite ends do help build a better picture of whatever product is being reviewed.

Oct 12, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #1,885 of 18,448
Yes, I agree with some parts of the verge’s review, balls for example, but like yourself, I still found it to be a worthy product to buy and enjoy. I have never tried either H1 or TT. I would however like to compare them to H2, just to see if I can notice any differences between them. My hearing is not the best, so it’s possible that I may not notice any differences between the three products. I just hope I notice a change with my soon to be mscaler.

I do know what you mean about opposite ends of the scale reviews, for sure, those reviews, they give people a better idea of the product thats being reviewed. It’s good point’s and also it’s flaws, normally, great reviews either gloss over and fail to mention a products faults, or they give it lip service and mention something in a single sentence.

My conclusion of the verge review, it was a while ago that I read it, but I did find it to be anti chord, not because it’s a bad review, but merely because of it’s tone in which it was written. But as you say, opposite ends do help build a better picture of whatever product is being reviewed.

dude just doesn't like micro-USB, they posted another article about that connector and again said nasty things about H2

Oct 12, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #1,886 of 18,448
dude just doesn't like micro-USB, they posted another article about that connector and again said nasty things about H2

Thats what he got all upset for, micro usb ? Seriously.

I don’t see anything wrong with it, basically everything I own, with the exception of apple devices, use micro usb. I have never had problems with it. Ah’ well, his/there loss.

Oct 12, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #1,887 of 18,448
Oct 12, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #1,888 of 18,448
Does someone know a working USB C cable to use my Galaxy Note8 with the m scaler?

It would need to be

1, a USB - C to USB - B cable.

Or

2, a USB - C to a Female USB - A adapter, and from there a male USB - A to a USB - B cable.

Thats the only way usb can connect to the mscaler.

Oct 12, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #1,889 of 18,448

From my point of view it just wasn't his cup of tea, he tried very hard to like it but eventually gave up. He liked and appreciated certain aspects of the sound but the sound he heard didn't gel with him which is perfectly okay as not everyone will enjoy H2 when they hear it. What matters most is if you enjoy H2, everyone else's opinion is irrelevant.

"The sound is, in fact, technically brilliant. There’s a subtle, indescribable tightness to the timing of music from the Hugo 2 that I haven’t experienced with any other DAC that costs less than a luxury car. The Hugo’s dynamics are fantastic, isolating moments of silence in a recording beautifully, giving them more room to breathe between notes. Sources of sound are also neatly and accurately reproduced, with the Hugo rendering a realistic and generously wide soundstage."

-TheVerge

Oct 12, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #1,890 of 18,448
From my point of view it just wasn't his cup of tea, he tried very hard to like it but eventually gave up. He liked and appreciated certain aspects of the sound but the sound he heard didn't gel with him which is perfectly okay as not everyone will enjoy H2 when they hear it. What matters most is if you enjoy H2, everyone else's opinion is irrelevant.

"The sound is, in fact, technically brilliant. There’s a subtle, indescribable tightness to the timing of music from the Hugo 2 that I haven’t experienced with any other DAC that costs less than a luxury car. The Hugo’s dynamics are fantastic, isolating moments of silence in a recording beautifully, giving them more room to breathe between notes. Sources of sound are also neatly and accurately reproduced, with the Hugo rendering a realistic and generously wide soundstage."

-TheVerge

After reading Vlad the usb impaler’s micro usb article, I think he broke his micro usb port, which made him mad.

He says all of the above, your second paragraph, but he prefaces it with, “Chord Hugo 2, the worst kind of audiophile equipment”. What kind of statement does that make to people/potentional buyers who saw the headline ? By the looks of it, I think he put personal preference over professionalism. Thats ok, as whazzzup said, different review opinions is a good thing, it gives us more scope to judge if the product is worth buying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back