Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Oct 14, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #1,906 of 18,493
I know this is a sensitive question - but may I ask if someone tried his M Scaler with an alternative power supply. You can also send me a PM :slight_smile:
Being that M-Scaler is a digital to digital device and the bits it produces are always the same regardless of the PSU, I trust that your question really is "does adding a different external PSU reduce the M-Scaler's emmision of RFI into the dual coax link". The answer to which I don't know and since the only device that can test this is a chord DAC combined with your ears, I suppose even with a new PSU, people will still be adding ferrites to coax. Just in case.

Oct 14, 2018 at 5:50 PM Post #1,907 of 18,493
Being that M-Scaler is a digital to digital device and the bits it produces are always the same regardless of the PSU, I trust that your question really is "does adding a different external PSU reduce the M-Scaler's emmision of RFI into the dual coax link". The answer to which I don't know and since the only device that can test this is a chord DAC combined with your ears, I suppose even with a new PSU, people will still be adding ferrites to coax. Just in case.

Or more importantly, does the switching PSU injecting noise back to the AC main and pollutes the rest of your audio? If I remembered correctly, Romaz has found benefit of putting his Blu and Dave into separate circuit.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #1,908 of 18,493
Or more importantly, does the switching PSU injecting noise back to the AC main and pollutes the rest of your audio? If I remembered correctly, Romaz has found benefit of putting his Blu and Dave into separate circuit.
Might not be the switching power supply perhaps FPGA’s are just noisy devices with noise getting not only to the ground but back to the mains as well. I noticed an improvement with my PS Audio Powerplant where each outlet is isolated. I then got more
Improvement with short ac cables fully covered with ferrites. I don’t get the same results with Hugo2 being battery powered.

Oct 14, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #1,909 of 18,493
When I get my mscaler, I will be comparing the stock PSU against a PH SR7MR2XL power supply (should receive both in November) and let my ears decide what sounds best...

Oct 14, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #1,912 of 18,493
Would that void the warranty?

Oct 14, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #1,914 of 18,493
Why take risks it has already been stated that extensive trials were undertaken in choosing the psu that's shipped from chord. Where else can a system be more noticeably improved so many options.

Oct 14, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #1,915 of 18,493
Why take risks it has already been stated that extensive trials were undertaken in choosing the psu that's shipped from chord. Where else can a system be more noticeably improved so many options.

Clean power matters. A lot. You might be surprised by what you will find if you open your mind to the possibilities.

Oct 14, 2018 at 11:23 PM Post #1,917 of 18,493
Maybe.......:thinking:

Are people using "my hearing" method on these power supplies or connecting to an oscilloscope?

I'm a scientist from Missouri...

Those of us in the US know what that means

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #1,918 of 18,493
I can't divulge any further information at this point. I will say however its truly electrifying.

Oct 15, 2018 at 5:35 AM Post #1,919 of 18,493

That’s true, but there was a very critical review of the Qutest in this month Hi Fi News where the technical reviewer, Paul Miller, said that

“the supplied charger suffused the Qutest with sufficient switching noise and other interference that it proved impossible to realise it’s true technical potential. So I tested the Qutest with my (Oppo) smartphone charger thus ridding the DAC’s output of spurious noise”.

If this review is accurate - and Chord don’t seem to have answered it - then it is at least possible that Chord might have a problem with some of their bought in power supplies. Perhaps the manufacturer has switched components, perhaps something has slipped past QC at Chord, who knows. Not that the Qutest and the MScaler use the same power supply, but this review raises at least one eyebrow.

Oct 15, 2018 at 6:50 AM Post #1,920 of 18,493

Users who are viewing this thread

Back