Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Apr 4, 2024 at 6:00 PM Post #18,303 of 18,458
Hi all,

I am back frequenting the DAVE and Mscaler threads after a couple of years away after I sold my previous setup.
I was wondering what people think would be the best Roon-ready source in the below chain:

Audio server-->ethernet-->(source)-->usb-b-->SRC-DX-->1X BNC to MScaler-->2X BNC to Dave

I previously head a Sonore optical Rendu and an optical Module Deluxe and have been considering getting this setup again (£3000 at current prices) or an older Signature Rendu for £2500.

Any suggestion on which of the above two is better, along with any alternative options would be most welcome.
Cheers!

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2024 at 4:36 PM Post #18,305 of 18,458
Guys, there's a problem!

I'm trying to pair between HUGO TT2 and M Scaler via double BNC. But for some reason TT2 again stubbornly does not see the M Scaler via the 2BNC connection... Already the second set of cables does not pass the test.

I do everything according to the instructions.

1. Disconnect both devices from the network.
2. I pair it with two BNC cables.
3. I turn on the devices to the network. I'm waiting for it to load.
4. On TT2, use the SET button to look for the following setting, as in the photo:

2024-04-11_17-07-51.jpg

But TT2 does not find it... Only the following inputs are displayed on the screen: USB → BNC1 → BNC2 → OPT1 → OPT2 → BT and again → USB...

I have already rebooted the PC to which M Scaler is connected.

I turned off the M Scaler and HUGO TT2 for 5 minutes so that the condensers were discharged.

I even connected each of the Shawline BNC cables to the first and second BNC one by one and tried to pair one by one, through the BNC1 and BNC2 inputs, and still can’t find it!

I've already turned the cables over and connected them in reverse, but it's still useless.

In this case, the connection via the optical cable works fine! TT2 adequately displays the required discredit frequency on its screen and the sound from the M Scaler plays.

But why don’t BNC plow???

Connected according to the instructions:

IMG_4950.JPG

Further, on the advice of one of the forum users, I did the following experiment:

I connected each of the Shawline BNC cables through a single BNC upscaler output (sPDIF out) to the TT2 inputs. Like this, one by one:

2024-04-12_01-25-39.jpg

And a miracle! Both inputs into the HUGO TT2 worked from sPDIF out. And calmly upscales to 384:

IMG_4965.JPG

Moreover, everything works on both inputs BNC1 and BNC2 of TT2.

The question is why the sound from M Scaler does not come through BNC1 and BNC2 at all??? Neither when connected with one cable, nor when connected with two cables in 2BNC mode???
Which device is faulty? Can this be fixed by changing the firmware? Or is it a hardware problem?

Apr 11, 2024 at 5:19 PM Post #18,306 of 18,458
Can't you just use a 16" M3 Max MacBook Pro for upscalling which has waaaaaaaay more computing power than this Mscaler? Or am I missing something?

I did try it a few years ago, but it sounded brighter over the regular Dave. Not sure why it is, could be extra noise coming from the Mscalar.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2024 at 6:52 PM Post #18,307 of 18,458
Guys, there's a problem!

I'm trying to pair between HUGO TT2 and M Scaler via double BNC. But for some reason TT2 again stubbornly does not see the M Scaler via the 2BNC connection... Already the second set of cables does not pass the test.

4. On TT2, use the SET button to look for the following setting, as in the photo:

2024-04-11_17-07-51.jpg

But TT2 does not find it... Only the following inputs are displayed on the screen: USB → BNC1 → BNC2 → OPT1 → OPT2 → BT and again → USB...

I turned off the M Scaler and HUGO TT2 for 5 minutes so that the condensers were discharged.

I even connected each of the Shawline BNC cables to the first and second BNC one by one and tried to pair one by one, through the BNC1 and BNC2 inputs, and still can’t find it!

I've already turned the cables over and connected them in reverse, but it's still useless.

In this case, the connection via the optical cable works fine! TT2 adequately displays the required discredit frequency on its screen and the sound from the M Scaler plays.

IMG_4950.JPG

Further, on the advice of one of the forum users, I did the following experiment:

I connected each of the Shawline BNC cables through a single BNC upscaler output (sPDIF out) to the TT2 inputs. Like this, one by one:

2024-04-12_01-25-39.jpg

And a miracle! Both inputs into the HUGO TT2 worked from sPDIF out. And calmly upscales to 384:

IMG_4965.JPG

The question is why the sound from M Scaler does not come through BNC1 and BNC2 at all??? Neither when connected with one cable, nor when connected with two cables in 2BNC mode???
Which device is faulty? Can this be fixed by changing the firmware? Or is it a hardware problem?
I’m trying to figure out why your M-scaler lights for the DX volume buttons are on (the two right most buttons) Mine are always dark.

Apr 11, 2024 at 8:22 PM Post #18,308 of 18,458
I replaced the stock PS of the HMS with Mean Well MSP-600-12 (https://www.meanwell-web.com/en-gb/ac-dc-single-output-medical-enclosed-power-supply-msp--600--12).

The effects are Captain America before and after, powerful and open, energetic, controlled and lively!

I replaced the stock PS of Qutest years ago with Mean Well MSP-600-05, much lesser improvements.

In short, upgrade the PS of HMS first.
I want to second @dac64's suggestion. I just installed the MSP-600-15 (15v) version, though this version "only" has 43 amps available.

I *think* I hear a noticeable improvement: the sub-bass is much tighter and deeper and there is an increased clarity (not sharpness) throughout the audio range (of my age-limited ears).

The primary target buyers for this company are hospitals, so you know the quality is there. If you're thinking of upgrading your PS, this is almost ½ the price of popular audio choices.

Apr 12, 2024 at 12:47 AM Post #18,309 of 18,458
Guys, there's a problem!

2024-04-11_17-07-51.jpg

IMG_4950.JPG

2024-04-12_01-25-39.jpg

IMG_4965.JPG

I checked some more. I don’t have usb input connected, just Toslink. When there is no signal, all 3 buttons on the right are dark. But if I press on the third button from the right (DX OP), it’ll change color twice and then go back to dark and when it changes to the other colors, the DX volume buttons would also change colors (the other two buttons on the right). So maybe you should try to see if you can press the DX OP button until the right two buttons turn off its colors? And once it’s off, you can retest the dual BNC connection?

Apr 12, 2024 at 5:01 AM Post #18,310 of 18,458
Guys, there's a problem!

IMG_4950.JPG

2024-04-12_01-25-39.jpg

IMG_4965.JPG

Another test you might like to try:

Each of the pair of outputs on the back of HMS dedicated to DBNC mode is capable of outputting music on its own, with no cable connected to the other. So try this test:

1. turn off HMS and TT2 (and the amplifier you have connected to TT2, if you use such an amplifier)
  2. disconnect all BNC cables between HMS and TT2
  3. connect a single BNC cable from HMS DBNC output number 1 (the output that's closest to the right edge of HMS, as you look at the back of HMS) to BNC 1 input on TT2
  4. turn everything on and ensure TT2 is set to BNC input 1
  5. check that music plays (it should play 352. 8 or 384KHz)
  6. turn off everything, same as step 1
  7. move the single BNC cable from the HMS DBNC output number 1 to output number 2 (the next position to the left, when looking at the back of HMS)
  8. turn on everything, same as step 4
  9. check that music plays (same as step 5)
When this is completed you will have identified that a BNC cable is not faulty and that both outputs on the back of HMS are working.

Finally, you need to verify that your second BNC cable is not faulty. So try that cable instead.

If both cables are proven to work correctly (at 352.8 or 384KHz) and both DBNC outputs on the back of HMS work, then you've got a problem I can't explain...

As a sanity check, HMS comes with a pair of BNC cables. These might be worth using in some additional testing if you are still having problems.

Please note I don't own TT2, so I don't have direct experience.

Apr 13, 2024 at 1:42 AM Post #18,311 of 18,458
Guys, there's a problem!

Did you try with the stock BNC cables that the MScaler comes with?

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2024 at 4:53 AM Post #18,313 of 18,458
I want to second @dac64's suggestion. I just installed the MSP-600-15 (15v) version, though this version "only" has 43 amps available.

I *think* I hear a noticeable improvement: the sub-bass is much tighter and deeper and there is an increased clarity (not sharpness) throughout the audio range (of my age-limited ears).

The primary target buyers for this company are hospitals, so you know the quality is there. If you're thinking of upgrading your PS, this is almost ½ the price of popular audio choices.

Indeed, the effect was immediate. Just like popeye the sailor man after spinach.

The audiophile brand will price it 4 or 5 times for such built quality.

Apr 13, 2024 at 11:36 AM Post #18,315 of 18,458
Is the fan running at the low power consumptions?

The fan will turn on if temperature => 50c, and max working temperature is 70c, before triggering the over temperature protection, I believe.

MSP-600-5 for the Qutest and two optical receivers, 24/7 since Jan 2023. The surface temperature of the PS is slightly higher than body temperature.

MSP-600-12 for the two optical transmitters, 24/7 since Jan 2023 too, not more than 40c . I added the HMS to this PS recently, 24/7 too, the surface temperature was unchanged.

The max output of the stock PS is 4A therefore the overall load is maybe less than 10% of the MSP-600-12 (53A). Maybe this also explains why there was endless power.

Btw, my region is 230V. Not sure whether the surface temperature will be higher in the 115V region.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back