Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Apr 14, 2024 at 8:54 AM Post #18,316 of 18,458
Sorry if this has been covered. I searched and didn't come up with what I was looking for. I'm considering getting an M Scaler to pair with my TT2. My issue is that I use it in a small bedroom where I sleep. I had a Qutest before and the lights were really annoying when trying to sleep since you can't power it off. I resorted to keeping it unplugged when not using. Appears the M Scaler also cannot be powered off.

I would be using an iPad via USB into the M Scaler>Dual BNC to TT2>tube amp. So if my iPad was not connected to the M Scaler, TT2 in standby, and amp off, what lights (if any) would be on when not in use? Trying to decide if I would need to cover the lights with something at night, unplug the M Scaler, or if I'm lucky there would be no lights since everything else if off. Really wish it had a power down or lights off mode.

Thanks!

Apr 14, 2024 at 9:13 AM Post #18,317 of 18,458
I would be using an iPad via USB into the M Scaler>Dual BNC to TT2>tube amp. So if my iPad was not connected to the M Scaler, TT2 in standby, and amp off, what lights (if any) would be on when not in use? Trying to decide if I would need to cover the lights with something at night, unplug the M Scaler, or if I'm lucky there would be no lights since everything else if off. Really wish it had a power down or lights off mode.
You can dim M-Scaler like you can dim TT2. Whether the dimmed light is still too bright for you as hard to predict.

Apr 14, 2024 at 9:48 AM Post #18,318 of 18,458
Sorry if this has been covered. I searched and didn't come up with what I was looking for. I'm considering getting an M Scaler to pair with my TT2. My issue is that I use it in a small bedroom where I sleep. I had a Qutest before and the lights were really annoying when trying to sleep since you can't power it off. I resorted to keeping it unplugged when not using. Appears the M Scaler also cannot be powered off.

Thanks!
In stby it will be one white light remaining.

Edit: If you do get M Scaler, when it goes into stby there will be the red light adjacent to the white light on, but it goes off after a few minutes.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2024 at 11:19 AM Post #18,319 of 18,458

Thanks!
My low-tech solution was to put a small soft lens-cleaning cloth over the light at night. Nowadays I just don't bother as I am used to the light anyway.

Apr 14, 2024 at 11:21 AM Post #18,320 of 18,458
My low-tech solution was to put a small soft lens-cleaning cloth over the light at night. Nowadays I just don't bother as I am used to the light anyway.
Thanks! That seems like it could be a great solution. I’m glad to hear I’d have a single light when not in use.

Apr 15, 2024 at 4:06 PM Post #18,322 of 18,458
Damn Rob Watts was right about Toslink, I switched to a steamer that has Toslink and it's so much better.
May I ask which streamer? I’ve been using a Pi4 with JustBoom DigiHat.

Apr 15, 2024 at 4:11 PM Post #18,323 of 18,458
May I ask which streamer? I’ve been using a Pi4 with JustBoom DigiHat.
I was using an iFi Zen Stream with an updated power supply, and I bought a used Bluesound Node I from a friend to use TosLink and wow! It's so much warmer and Even more detailed. I know the Blusound is inexpensive and Audiophiles look down on it, but going into an M Scaler via Toslink and then TT-2 it is magic.

Apr 15, 2024 at 4:18 PM Post #18,324 of 18,458
I was using an iFi Zen Stream with an updated power supply, and I bought a used Bluesound Node I from a friend to use TosLink and wow! It's so much warmer and Even more detailed. I know the Blusound is inexpensive and Audiophiles look down on it, but going into an M Scaler via Toslink and then TT-2 it is magic.
Are you saying toslink is supposedly better in all instances or specific to streamers?

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #18,328 of 18,458
I tried my CD Player on Toslink and Yup it is better. 😂
Is there a reference online where Rob said this? Curious the context for which he said it. I guess my amateur mind thinks that if toslink is easily better than all other connections, then it would have to mean one of the following:
1. The source going into the DAC has poor implementation in the other outputs
2. Chord products have poor implementation in the other inputs (doesn't seem logical as anal as Rob is on his designs)
3. Lastly, it is just a fact that toslink is THE best digital implementation on the market...which I have not personally heard.

So I would like to hear Rob's comments on this and in what context if there is a reference I could read/watch.

Apr 15, 2024 at 5:39 PM Post #18,329 of 18,458
Is there a reference online where Rob said this? Curious the context for which he said it. I guess my amateur mind thinks that if toslink is easily better than all other connections, then it would have to mean one of the following:
1. The source going into the DAC has poor implementation in the other outputs
2. Chord products have poor implementation in the other inputs (doesn't seem logical as anal as Rob is on his designs)
3. Lastly, it is just a fact that toslink is THE best digital implementation on the market...which I have not personally heard.

So I would like to hear Rob's comments on this and in what context if there is a reference I could read/watch.
I have to look for the video, he recently stated it again, maybe we can even ask him directly, @Rob Watts can you share your views on Toslink? Thanks.

Apr 15, 2024 at 7:44 PM Post #18,330 of 18,458
specific to his own DACs as he rarely comments on others, the DAC design is virtually immune to jitter, with the only limitation of Toslink being a guaranteed 24/96 bitrate and higher jitter than USB, BNC etc,
So using a Toslink input guarantees total source isolation from RF and any other possible noise, and with Chord DAC’s jitter isn’t an issue anyway
I use Toslink from CD transport and custom PC based server that uses a carefully chosen MB that included a native Toslink output …

Users who are viewing this thread

Back