Huge Comparison of [almost] all the Best Bluetooth Headphones - post your own comparisons here
Mar 22, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #3,181 of 3,643
  Android O will support:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/03/21/feature-spotlight-android-o-looks-like-it-will-add-support-for-aptx-bluetooth-streaming/

This has me very excited for Android O. I still wonder how headphone manufacturers will handle all these options, though. I assume Sony will want headphone companies to pay a licensing fee for LDAC (they donated it to AOSP so that phones will have support for it), so that might be a stumbling block for some companies looking to control cost. 

Mar 22, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #3,182 of 3,643
Bought this today, really nice. Had it on for 6 hours.

Mar 22, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #3,183 of 3,643
I picked up a pair of the new Sennheiser HD 4.40BT headphones, they are $149.  I also have a pair of wired Momentum 2's.  I previously tried the B&W P7, but the hiss was too loud.  Happy to say, the 4.40 is a winner for me.  Compared to these two other headphones, the 4.40 has a bass enhancement over the Momentum, but less I think than the P7.  Sort of basshead-ish, but you have to turn them up to get there. Running off the wire on both the Momentum 2 and the 4.40, I think I would have a hard time telling them apart in any sort of test.  The Momentums have "premium" all over them, where the 4.40 is bare bones.  No case, no fancy package, all plastic. The controls are acceptable, comfort is good, I don't get the head pain like the P7.  Hiss is nominal, it's way under the sound, and even for spoken word, I don't notice it like the sheer white noise like in the P7.  In the photo world of Canon, there is a 50mm lens known as the "plastic fantastic", f1.8, and great glass, but only $99.  To me that's what these new HD series may represent, a "plastic fantastic" Momentum.  FWIW - these are 4.30 in wired only version and soon a 4.50 which is BT and noise canceling. If these go on discount from the $149, they are a steal. 

Still some things to work out, the user manual seems to be half written in terms of battery level. The wording is all wrong, and all of the different levels show the same light pattern.  It's like the published it before it was complete.  I'll revisit Sennheiser's website to see if it gets updated.  If I understand from the manual, it should also speak the battery level at some point, i.e. "There are 12 hours remaining" etc. But I've yet to hear it. 

Enjoy!

Mar 22, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #3,184 of 3,643
@RadarJammer two questions that I will have to profess my ignorance about. My phone for instance, LG G4 supports Apt X so as I understand it that means that when I stream with the phone it is Apt X already. Is this an incorrect assumption? I also notice there is an LDAC setting which I thought was proprietary Sony streaming technology? Interesting stuff, thanks for the link.

Mar 23, 2017 at 12:36 AM Post #3,185 of 3,643
  @RadarJammer two questions that I will have to profess my ignorance about. My phone for instance, LG G4 supports Apt X so as I understand it that means that when I stream with the phone it is Apt X already. Is this an incorrect assumption? I also notice there is an LDAC setting which I thought was proprietary Sony streaming technology? Interesting stuff, thanks for the link.

Until now stock Android by Google (and the Nexus and Pixel models) only supported the standard SBC codec on Bluetooth. But many manufacturers like Sony, Motorola, Samsung, HTC or LG added the aptX or LDAC codecs to some or all of their models for years now. So  aptX works already on those. The Chinese like Huawei or ZTE still don't support aptX at all.

Mar 27, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #3,186 of 3,643
P7 Wireless + Brainwavz - RESULTS:

Some of you may remember a few weeks back that I thought I'd try fitting some Brainwavz Sheep Skin pads to my P7 Wireless by modifying some stock pads from a pair of P7 wired.

I finally got round to finishing them and after some testing here are my impressions;

Firstly the comfort is incredible which doesn't surprise me as I'd tried the normal Brainwavz on the Audio Technica WS99BT and found them very comfortable too, the Sheep Skin makes them even better! The pads now fully enclose the ear and totally prevent the P7's from becoming fatiguing as they did before.

Secondly the hiss that many of you have complained about has been hugely reduced due to the ear being further from the driver. I mentioned before that the hiss can be reduced by upping the source volume and lowering the headphone volume but I can now use them full volume and barely notice the hiss!

The new pads do effect the sound slightly but they don't effect the overall character and they still retain their warmth, richness and slightly emphasised bass. They actually sound even more open now which is the first thing I noticed, the bass is ever so slightly reduced, the treble slightly increased but largely they remain the same.

I'm still not entirely sure whether the slightly different design of the wired pads cause an effect to the sound or not? You'll see that the wireless pads have a slightly smaller opening on the back which helps seal the cable port and the new design could quite possibly help to seal in the sound and improve the bass response? I may try further modifying them to test this theory?

Mar 27, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #3,187 of 3,643
Mar 27, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #3,188 of 3,643
Mar 28, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #3,189 of 3,643
  Until now stock Android by Google (and the Nexus and Pixel models) only supported the standard SBC codec on Bluetooth. But many manufacturers like Sony, Motorola, Samsung, HTC or LG added the aptX or LDAC codecs to some or all of their models for years now. So  aptX works already on those. The Chinese like Huawei or ZTE still don't support aptX at all.

I've always thought that the Google Pixel, or plain Android Nougat supported AptX out of the box.  Good to know that it isn't.

I haven't been using my WS99BT in awhile until today, and just realized how much I missed it!  I haven't been keeping up but anything worth looking into currently?  P7s? :)

- JOhn

Mar 28, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #3,191 of 3,643
Has anyone tried the Bang & Olufsen H4 yet. If you have please let me know what you think.

I made a brief post on the prior page of this thread a week ago about the H4.  There's also a H4 thread here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/834917/b-o-beoplay-h4-announced

I can't offer a direct comparison to other similar bluetooth headphones, but the H4 certainly seems like a strong contender in the $300 price range, especially if you could care less about aptX, ANC support and a removable battery.  Other than support for a B&O eq mobile app there aren't any "frivolous" extra features.  While the H4 doesn't have the touch controls of B&O's more expensive bluetooth headphones the three button setup on the bottom of the right ear cup works just fine.  Build quality is really good, and the ear pads are super comfy when listening for extended periods.  Sound signature is a little more bass heavy than balanced, but in a controlled/fun/enjoyable way.  There's a clean/punchiness to audio.  Pretty much meets (but not exceeds) my expectations for sound quality in the $300 price range.  I'm a satisfied customer so far...

I see in your other posts that your looking at the H7 as well.  I've read in reviews that the H4 sound compares favorably to the H7, but I can't confirm that for certain.   Definitely try to find a store to listen to them in person if possible.

Mar 28, 2017 at 11:07 PM Post #3,192 of 3,643
Interesting news in that Sony has provided the LDAC codec to Android O as well as apparently contributed 30 audio bug related fixes for the new Android OS. Apparently Sony is smart and realises it will help sell their LDAC headphones and speakers which I'm sure they see as the future. Bye bye cables for most consumer gear I suspect if this keeps up. About time. Really can't see why anybody would want a headphone with a cable when they are on the go (like public transit).

Mar 28, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #3,193 of 3,643
  Interesting news in that Sony has provided the LDAC codec to Android O as well as apparently contributed 30 audio bug related fixes for the new Android OS. Apparently Sony is smart and realises it will help sell their LDAC headphones and speakers which I'm sure they see as the future. Bye bye cables for most consumer gear I suspect if this keeps up. About time. Really can't see why anybody would want a headphone with a cable when they are on the go (like public transit).

Not in major metropolitan areas around heavy Bluetooth and Wi-Fi traffic. Every phone and every pair of headphones are different, but audio dropouts ruin the experience for me. 

Mar 29, 2017 at 8:13 AM Post #3,194 of 3,643
  Not in major metropolitan areas around heavy Bluetooth and Wi-Fi traffic. Every phone and every pair of headphones are different, but audio dropouts ruin the experience for me. 

I don't think that is going to continue to be a problem, not enough to slow down the inevitable. I'm sure in as little as five years the majority of all but cheap headphones designed for portability will be wireless. Cables are doomed, it is only a matter of time, IMO. I think this trend is very, very evident.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back