Huge Comparison of [almost] all the Best Bluetooth Headphones - post your own comparisons here
Apr 4, 2015 at 2:39 AM Post #586 of 3,643

Yes, now I understand what you mean. I had also forgotten your love for neutral headphones.
But just to understand you better, what did you feel warmer, the UE or the AKG?

And, did you feel like something was missing or was boosted in the AKG?
Apart for the fact that as a basshead I was missing bass (because as you noticed I look for it), I also felt that the highs where too present. Did you have this impression too?

The UE was definitely much warmer. The AKG was neutral leaning towards bright. I wouldn't say the highs were boosted but they certainly weren't rolled off or reduced and there was a touch of sibilance in them as well. It didn't bother me but I can see that how some people would find the treble fatiguing.

I ended up buying the Symphony 1. Wasn't perfect but got tired of waiting so will deal with its headband comfort and bluetooth range issues as they are much easier to deal with than ear cups that don't fit for me. Before that I had the HK BT which I got quite cheap off a mate who wanted something with more bass. They boosted the bass as well a fair bit but they did it much more naturally than the Momentum WIreless and the bass didn't really take over the sound to the same extent so I have been using them while I waited for something else. They though have serious comfort and clamping issues which have bothered me enough to upgrade as soon as something else came along.

Apr 4, 2015 at 7:42 AM Post #587 of 3,643
Congratulations then!
Pity that I cannot test them now, no way to get them to EU.
Actually, even the Momentum are not available here, and considering that I live in Germany, it is kind of crazy, being Sennheiser German.
But the good new is, the MDR-1ABT are in pre-order on Amazon here.350 Euro. So, I will be able to try them without importing them...

I liked the bass of the HK, with some EQ it could reach a 75% of what the Fidelio can. They were relatively balanced with a touch of warmth but some lack of life in the upper range.
Almost no soundstage.
I thought they were quite comfortable for me, but very flat, so after a while the ears were indeed having problems for touching the drivers.
Very nice range.
I also was tempted to keep them, having found them for 99 Euro! But, I said to myself, why? For collection purposes?
I do not have this sickness yet and I prefer not to start with it. I cannot afford it at all.
I just need one or two headphones, home and portable. Finish.

Apr 4, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #588 of 3,643
  Congratulations then!
Pity that I cannot test them now, no way to get them to EU.
Actually, even the Momentum are not available here, and considering that I live in Germany, it is kind of crazy, being Sennheiser German.
But the good new is, the MDR-1ABT are in pre-order on Amazon here.350 Euro. So, I will be able to try them without importing them...

I liked the bass of the HK, with some EQ it could reach a 75% of what the Fidelio can. They were relatively balanced with a touch of warmth but some lack of life in the upper range.
Almost no soundstage.
I thought they were quite comfortable for me, but very flat, so after a while the ears were indeed having problems for touching the drivers.
Very nice range.
I also was tempted to keep them, having found them for 99 Euro! But, I said to myself, why? For collection purposes?
I do not have this sickness yet and I prefer not to start with it. I cannot afford it at all.
I just need one or two headphones, home and portable. Finish.

I'm sure the Symphony will arrive soon enough though I think that you find find them lacking bass for your tastes. Good to see that the 1ABT is coming soon. Keen to hear some feedback about them once they arrive and how they compare to the Momentum Wireless. Surely the Momentum will get to Germany very soon considering Sennheiser is German. They were available in Netherlands before from other comments I read so it is very surprising that they aren't available in Germany yet.

Yes I noticed that they had no soundstage at all the HK BT. Ears right up against the drivers so no space for big soundstage. My issue though was more than since my ears didn't fit in the cups, I was getting pain on the top and bottom of my ears and the ear lobes. Padding isn't very thick and the clamping is very strong. Couldn't last more than 5 minutes at first but I stretched them out a bit and now they last about half an hour before they become unbearable (pain starts after around 15 mins). A pity really because the extreme clamping and great range make them the ideal headphones for doing work round the house. I'm still using them for that reason though I keep having to take them off after a while forcing me to take breaks from working and thereby getting yelled at for wasting time in the process.
biggrin.gif

Apr 4, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #589 of 3,643
  Padding isn't very thick and the clamping is very strong.

In my box there was a second, replacement headband, clearly larger, for bigger heads.
Didn't you get it?
If not, write them and complain!
I cannot believe you have such a big head to feel the clamping force so strong even with the bigger headband.

Apr 4, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #590 of 3,643
  In my box there was a second, replacement headband, clearly larger, for bigger heads.
Didn't you get it?
If not, write them and complain!
I cannot believe you have such a big head to feel the clamping force so strong even with the bigger headband.

The bigger headband was worse! It clamps harder than the smaller one due to its shape. The inward curve on the ends is steeper on the larger one so it clamps sideways more than the smaller one did so I went back to the smaller one. My head isn't that big its just my ears that are huge. The clamping probably wouldn't be so bad if my ears fit inside the cups. I can stand clamping and crushing on the head, just can't tolerate it when it is on the ears (specially the cartilage parts).

Apr 4, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #591 of 3,643
My head isn't that big its just my ears that are huge. The clamping probably wouldn't be so bad if my ears fit inside the cups.

eek.gif

What kind of ears do you have???
The HK are like having iPads instead of earPads!
biggrin.gif

Apr 4, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #592 of 3,643

eek.gif

What kind of ears do you have???
The HK are like having iPads instead of earPads!
biggrin.gif

Normal looking ears that are just really long and wide. Not pointy elf ears or anything, just really big normal ears. I really like the look of the HK's. The rectangular ear cups look cool even though they aren't very comfortable. I reckon sticking 2 iPads to my ears would even be more comfortable than the HK's.

Apr 5, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #595 of 3,643
If you have the possibility to try Sony SBH52 Bluetooth headset with BeyerDynamic T51i I would love to hear what you think? This is best BT solution that I personally have ever tried. My second best option is the B&O Beoplay H8...but saw that you did'nt rate them that high.

Apr 5, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #596 of 3,643
If you have the possibility to try Sony SBH52 Bluetooth headset with BeyerDynamic T51i I would love to hear what you think? This is best BT solution that I personally have ever tried. My second best option is the B&O Beoplay H8...but saw that you did'nt rate them that high.

I am not a fan of hybrid solution at the moment but Kelleytoons here already had this idea with the btunes receiver which looks a bit like a mic for headsets which you plug into headphones which have a detachable cable. I like his solution the most because it is really no cable. And for home it could be the best solution, I know.
But for now, I still stay loyal to 100% BT.

The H8 have too many problems. Do you still have them?
What else did you try?

Apr 5, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #597 of 3,643
I am not a fan of hybrid solution at the moment but Kelleytoons here already had this idea with the btunes receiver which looks a bit like a mic for headsets which you plug into headphones which have a detachable cable. I like his solution the most because it is really no cable. And for home it could be the best solution, I know.
But for now, I still stay loyal to 100% BT.

The H8 have too many problems. Do you still have them?
What else did you try?

For me the "hybrid" is the best solution were I can change to headphones of my liking. But I generally prefer wires...and to be honest never use headphones without cable possibillities. My headphone setup is BeyerDynamics T51i and AKG K240 MkIi studio with kimber cables...except for a pair of Sony DREX300iPB in-ears. I have never owened the H8. My father have them and I would say that I prefer them with Furutech headphone cables attached as my add uses them. The sound is actually less bassy (with more detailed bass) than with BT and they sound more crispy in the high notes with smoother mids. The stock cables is a no go!

Apr 5, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #598 of 3,643
For me the "hybrid" is the best solution were I can change to headphones of my liking. But I generally prefer wires...and to be honest never use headphones without cable possibillities. My headphone setup is BeyerDynamics T51i and AKG K240 MkIi studio with kimber cables...except for a pair of Sony DREX300iPB in-ears. I have never owened the H8. My father have them and I would say that I prefer them with Furutech headphone cables attached as my add uses them. The sound is actually less bassy (with more detailed bass) than with BT and they sound more crispy in the high notes with smoother mids. The stock cables is a no go!

Yes the stock cable is horrible. But as for the quality of audio given by cables, I owe you. No idea. I am a BT Guru but a Wired Newbie :)
Only Wired I had which was good enough was the AKG K240 Monitor (old version, and 600ohms). I was supposed to make music with PC.
For listening to music it was horrible.
I understand what you mean, but I also can change Headphone to my liking, there are a lot of different sounding BT Headphones :)
Just, none of them sounds like a Bayerdynamics.
Yet.
I am tempted, but I know I would open dangerous doors. There are so many wired headphones out there!

I find the H8 too dark in the low region, the bass is artificially boosted, not naturally powerful as the ATH-WS99BT, and not as well boosted as the Plantronics backbeat Pro (which do not have this darkness). The soundstage is very poor, the upper mids are boosted and I like it, but something else between them and the lows is missing, and you can see it by switching with other headphones, the H8 have much less presence in the vocals. Highs are ok but a bit sibilant sometimes.
Strangely, I have found them having more bass when wired. Also, they are louder when wired.
Did you use them wired amped or passive? Was the led on?
And in BT mode, did you use them with or without ANC?

Then, if you read my review, you see that there are a lot of other problems, the WORSE, really the worse wireless range of ALL the BT headphones in my list, something which at 500 bucks is questionable. A distortion in the lows on sub-bass heavy tracks when the ANC is active. The ANC produce some hiss but well, that is not totally uncommon, but it also produces a bump at each step. And some other problems.
I sincerely liked the sound because I am a bit basshead and there are very very few good bassy BT Headphones. But, it was no more than "ok". Nothing to pay 500 bucks for.

I am tweaking my Foobar now. I am trying to understand the right order for the different DSPs. I think I will write in their forum and eventually in one of the threads here.
I am happy that I have decided to give it a second try. With DSPs it sounds much better than MusicBee.

Apr 6, 2015 at 5:48 AM Post #599 of 3,643
The AKG K240 monitor and studio is very revealing headphones. If any part of the chain is bad...from audio source to headphone amp...the sound will be affected. I personally like the studio better, but with best possible headphone cables (important), audio source and headphone amp I am pretty sure that the monitor will deliver.

I think you are on a honorable quest! Many headfiers would most probably want BT headphones if they find the perfect pair with good sound, long range and long battery life.

I tried the H8 with ANC on and with wires connected to Musical Fidelity X-can V8 with psu and led off. Maybe not a fair comparison...but wires have these possibillities! :wink:

I totally agree that for the money the sound is questonable. The quality though is top notch!

DSP is the future for all headphones if you ask me. There is a lot of possibillities in that area!:)

Apr 6, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #600 of 3,643
I really think that you should try the XTZ Devine wireless headphones. See https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1173793437/worlds-first-dsp-enabled-wireless-headphone/description
XTZ have made a pair of simple and cheap in-ears sound amazing with DSP...and even if I have'nt tried these wireless ones I can imagine that they will deliver big time. Check it out! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back