Huge Comparison of [almost] all the Best Bluetooth Headphones - post your own comparisons here
Jul 2, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #3,376 of 3,643
The OP got mad about things and stormed out of the forums a few years ago, never to be heard from again unless he created a new profile and posts under that which I suppose is possible.

Meh that's a shame, oh well

I've got an ATH ANC700BT & and Sennhesier HD 4.50 BT as well along with a BluTooth headphone from amazon so I'll be contributing something here on all three shortly!

Jul 18, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #3,377 of 3,643
I have a question regarding the Onkyo H500BT. I know you, Sonic Defender, value them very highly and still use them as your number one portable choice. You compared them to the Philips Fidelio M2BT which were my favorite out of all the ones I've tried. The problem with Fidelios is that while wearing them I could hear a thud with every foot step I took while running or jogging, which was the only reason why I returned them. I am wondering whether the Onkyo H500BT suffer with the same problem.

I have recently tried ATH-WS990BT (which I liked), and several other over-the-ear headphones, which unfortunately were all causing problems to my right ear. Whenever the headphone padding presses on an area to the side of my ear for a while, I get ringing (tinnitus) and sensitivity for a few days after. I am still not sure why that is, but that's the reason I am giving up on over-the-ear headphones.

Jul 18, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #3,378 of 3,643
I have a question regarding the Onkyo H500BT. I know you, Sonic Defender, value them very highly and still use them as your number one portable choice. You compared them to the Philips Fidelio M2BT which were my favorite out of all the ones I've tried. The problem with Fidelios is that while wearing them I could hear a thud with every foot step I took while running or jogging, which was the only reason why I returned them. I am wondering whether the Onkyo H500BT suffer with the same problem.

I have recently tried ATH-WS990BT (which I liked), and several other over-the-ear headphones, which unfortunately were all causing problems to my right ear. Whenever the headphone padding presses on an area to the side of my ear for a while, I get ringing (tinnitus) and sensitivity for a few days after. I am still not sure why that is, but that's the reason I am giving up on over-the-ear headphones.
Hi mate, yes I still really enjoy the H500BT. I won't pretend it is perfect, but as you have likely read from myself and a few others, it is a great portable sound signature meaning there is extra bass energy (typical in many portables I find) and while there is some loss of clarity, it isn't very bad and again it is in keeping with the reality of the environment portables are used in. Anyway, I very much like it still and use it almost daily except on very hot days as I just don't like headphones on during very hot weather. I don't run at all so I can't really say, but if over the next few days I get a chance I'll run down my street and report back for you.

Jul 19, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #3,379 of 3,643
Hi mate, yes I still really enjoy the H500BT. I won't pretend it is perfect, but as you have likely read from myself and a few others, it is a great portable sound signature meaning there is extra bass energy (typical in many portables I find) and while there is some loss of clarity, it isn't very bad and again it is in keeping with the reality of the environment portables are used in. Anyway, I very much like it still and use it almost daily except on very hot days as I just don't like headphones on during very hot weather. I don't run at all so I can't really say, but if over the next few days I get a chance I'll run down my street and report back for you.

Thanks for your input. I actually misworded my sentence, I meant to say "I could hear a thud with every foot step I took while running or WALKING". That's right, with the Fildelio M2BT I could hear the thud even when just walking. Glad to know, so far, that at least the H500BT does not have this problem.

Jul 19, 2018 at 8:52 PM Post #3,380 of 3,643
Thanks for your input. I actually misworded my sentence, I meant to say "I could hear a thud with every foot step I took while running or WALKING". That's right, with the Fildelio M2BT I could hear the thud even when just walking. Glad to know, so far, that at least the H500BT does not have this problem.
No, I would have noticed that for sure. So do you mean some kind of electrical signal is generated through the headphones as a result of footfall? That is odd for sure. I have the Fidelio M1 MKII, different headphone I know, but certainly didn't have that happen with it either.

Jul 20, 2018 at 12:22 AM Post #3,381 of 3,643
No, I would have noticed that for sure. So do you mean some kind of electrical signal is generated through the headphones as a result of footfall? That is odd for sure. I have the Fidelio M1 MKII, different headphone I know, but certainly didn't have that happen with it either.

No, It sounds like a thud/thumping sound of the impact of the footsteps against the floor, vibrating through my body and upwards to the ears. Likely due to the seal created by the ear-pads pressed against the ears. It is the same sound that you hear if you press the palms of your hands against the ears while walking.

Jul 20, 2018 at 1:56 AM Post #3,382 of 3,643
I have the same sound with my beoplay H7. I'd assume it would be less of an issue with on-ear pads such as with the H500BT. I don't think you'll completely get rid of it unless you use open-back headphones though. Am wondering if the new bluetooth Koss porta-pro which are open-back would have no issue with the thump.

Jul 20, 2018 at 8:19 PM Post #3,383 of 3,643
I have the same sound with my beoplay H7. I'd assume it would be less of an issue with on-ear pads such as with the H500BT. I don't think you'll completely get rid of it unless you use open-back headphones though. Am wondering if the new bluetooth Koss porta-pro which are open-back would have no issue with the thump.

I had the same issue with the Beoplay H7 as well. On the other hand none of the Audio Technicas I tried had this problem, regardless of whether they were on-ear (ATH-WS99BT) or over-the-ear (ATH-DSR7BT & ATH-WS990BT).

Jul 21, 2018 at 12:36 AM Post #3,384 of 3,643
I think having just a small opening somewhere in the headphone or the earpads where the air pressure could equalise would remove the thump thump sound. Lifting the earpads slightly removes it, and it doesn't seem to impact sound isolation that much.

Jul 23, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #3,386 of 3,643
Anyone tried the Nuraphone? People either rave about it or loathe it. Not keen on buying if I can't try it first.
I am personally just finishing my first week of extensive testing with the nuraphones, including the release of their recent G2 firmware upgrade. Though my full review is some ways away, I am very comfortable saying that they are absolutely the most technically featured headphones on the market period. They are also objectively some of the best sounding wireless headphones available. I am waiting for a few answers from the Nura team, regarding some technical aspects of the headphones but in my opinion, they are magnificent.
To address, your comment that reviews are either strongly positive or negative I will only say this. The majority of the loathsome reviews I have seen all include factual inaccuracies that lead me to believe that the reviewer never used them personally or successfully got past the fitting process, therefore not getting a proper seal before profiling. That said, anyone saying their comfort is poor is absolutely entitled to that opinion. The feeling of wearing an IEM and also an over-ear headphone is, at the very least unusual.
They do however offer a 30-day return policy through their website, so I strongly urge you to try them. If you have any questions I would be happy to try my best to answer them.

Aug 22, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #3,388 of 3,643
Anyone tried the Nuraphone? People either rave about it or loathe it. Not keen on buying if I can't try it first.
The new member raving about the Nuraphone should be taken with a grain of salt. They also posted in another thread about the new G2 firmware adding ANC to the Nuraphone, which they state is "on par or better" than the QC 35.

Maybe he's legit, but just looking out for a fellow Head-Fier!

Aug 22, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #3,389 of 3,643
The new member raving about the Nuraphone should be taken with a grain of salt. They also posted in another thread about the new G2 firmware adding ANC to the Nuraphone, which they state is "on par or better" than the QC 35.

Maybe he's legit, but just looking out for a fellow Head-Fier!
I am new absolutely and I totally understand that my statement was very bold. Please allow me to clarify a bit.
The QC35 II are rated for 27 decibels of attenuation with ANC active. By comparison nuraphones are rated at just over 20 dB. But unlike Bose’s aggressive approach to ANC, nura doesn’t produce any noticeable hum when enabled nor does it make any change to the sound signature or battery life.
Bose will block more noise but at the cost of half your battery, a change to the sound signature and the introduction of a hum, when music is not playing, that can make some feel sick.
Nura’s sound is more “fun” than Bose, which is why I mentioned it. I should have been more clear about my statement about their ANC offering. I prefer the experience but if you are only concerned with the amount of attention without regard for sound, the Bose are better.
My personal focus is on wireless tech so I am not speaking as an audiophile but a tech junkie.
Sorry for any confusion.

Aug 22, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #3,390 of 3,643
After researching the nuraphone I have an idea about polarized oppinion regarding them.

Nura’s goal is to provide what amounts to a custom EQ that is tuned to account for any above or below average hearing at given frequencies. With that in mind, it’s the inconsistency across different frequencies that makes the major change to the sound. If your hearing is relatively consistent across the spectrum, regardless of being above or below average, then the tuning they will provide would be minimal and I assume very unimpressive. In contrast, if your hearing is above average at some frequencies and below at others, the difference is more pronounced.

If you are interested to see if that may be the case for you before purchase, I found a company online called Audicus that offeres a free online hearing test that takes about 20 min. They are trying to sell hearing aids but they plot your result on a chart that could be useful.
In theory, the more flat your results, the less of an impact the nuaphone will provide.

Anyway, I hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back