Huge Comparison of [almost] all the Best Bluetooth Headphones - post your own comparisons here
Jan 19, 2016 at 5:37 AM Post #1,861 of 3,643
I think you should test the H8's and P5's side-by-side. I have the P5's on today; they seem very similar to the H8's. I'll dig up something to watch now.

So it looks like the Momentums due to hiss and Symphony's due to lack of deep bass rumble are off the list, and the h8's and possibly p5's (depending how they perform on your final test) are on order! Thanks for testing these, I'd previously tested a lot myself but had been putting these last few off due to price and the the fact that I really wanted over ear for comfort! But if they sound as good as I'm hoping they'll be worth the extra cost and from what I've heard even though they're on ear they should still be comfy enough!

Jan 19, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #1,862 of 3,643
So it looks like the Momentums due to hiss and Symphony's due to lack of deep bass rumble are off the list, and the h8's and possibly p5's (depending how they perform on your final test) are on order! Thanks for testing these, I'd previously tested a lot myself but had been putting these last few off due to price and the the fact that I really wanted over ear for comfort! But if they sound as good as I'm hoping they'll be worth the extra cost and from what I've heard even though they're on ear they should still be comfy enough!

Before you run off with either the H8 and P5, seriously look into the MW60.  I've played with the B&Os before and there's just something lacking, especially when not amped!  Plus the price being charged is excessive ($50-$100 too much) in my opinion. The MW60 does have "deep bass rumble" and it'll give you one of the smoother listening experiences out there.  Comfort is good and materials are luxury...but not as comfortable as the H8/ H7/ H6.  P5 has some clamping force but can't comment much on it due to having too little hands-on with them.

Jan 19, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #1,863 of 3,643
Hi All,
I took the plunge on a set of Fidelio M2BT after spending a ton of time reading this thread.  Thanks everyone who contributed!

This is my first set of decent bluetooth cans and I have to say I am really impressed with the bass and fullness of the sound from the Fidelios.  I do feel like they are sacrificing some highs but could just be my untrained ears.  I am mostly listening to hiphop, R&B, some dance, jazz and occasional classical.  For comparison I'm coming from a set of Audio Technica ATH-M50 amped by a Fiio E17 mostly using Apple Music and Pandora One on a late 2013 Macbook Pro.  My question is has anyone had a set of Fidelios that do NOT have the slight buzzing coming from the right side when nothing is playing?  It seems that if I pause (Apple Music) the buzzing remains for 2-3 seconds then goes away.  In general I think its mostly drowned out with any sort of music.  Since I am liking the sound produced by these I'm considering keeping them anyway.  Anyone else have these and can comment?  Thanks!

Jan 20, 2016 at 4:21 AM Post #1,864 of 3,643
  My question is has anyone had a set of Fidelios that do NOT have the slight buzzing coming from the right side when nothing is playing?  It seems that if I pause (Apple Music) the buzzing remains for 2-3 seconds then goes away.  In general I think its mostly drowned out with any sort of music.  Since I am liking the sound produced by these I'm considering keeping them anyway.  Anyone else have these and can comment?  Thanks!

Yes, mine don't buzz--ever. Read back as this is an on-going theme the last several days. So far I seem to be the only lucky--or deaf one here.

P.S. I have 2 pairs that don't buzz.

Jan 20, 2016 at 4:37 AM Post #1,865 of 3,643
So it looks like the Momentums due to hiss and Symphony's due to lack of deep bass rumble are off the list, and the h8's and possibly p5's (depending how they perform on your final test) are on order! 

I don't recall if you said you watched TV (streaming or otherwise), so you might not consider this a legit test subject. I watched 'Residue' (UK) with the B&W P5's and thought they got a decent workout.

The first 5 minutes of Series 1/Ep. 1 had bass-heavy dance club scenes; a large explosion; sub-bass rumble sound elements in it's overall sound design with a bassy score and theme song. Lots of undelying good vibrations. It continued on through all 3 episodes of series 1 (There are only 3.)

The P5's handled it all with no problem. I've been loving them all along with my own music and stuff I'm streaming now, plus other movies and TV shows, so I expected as much.

I could not detect any hiss or buzz. TV sound recording is different than movies, but I think they've gotten very sophisticated with it. Everything I heard during quiet moments between dialogue or music was ambient/atmospheric in nature as it changed with each room or tunnel or street they were in and fit the scene appropriately. (Remember, I have a USB dongle and watch on a laptop.)

The mids and highs--especially in dialogue were good, but I like the Fidelio's better. Basically the same as the B&O H8's. The only time I had a problem with them was when the characters were yelling into phones or over radios and walkie-talkies or through gas masks, etc. I'm chalking that up to TV recording anomalies and my ears. During normal speech, they were very pleasant sounding to me and well integrated into the overall sound design. But that's where you would have to test them yourself to determine what is acceptable.

They are as comfortable as the other 2 on-ear we've discussed. The rounded rectangular pads maybe even provide a more even pressure pattern on the similarly shaped ear as opposed to round pads. (Or, you could take up smoking so you have to remove them and go outside every 45-60 minutes--Hey! All of my headphones are perfectly comfortable using this method... :wink:

Jan 20, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #1,867 of 3,643
  Hmm ok thanks for that.  I guess I should try another pair and see what happens...

It may be a batch.
Do not ask the shop to replace them, they may have the same batch. Either send them to the Customer Service or back to the shop for a refund and buy them somewhere else.

I have tried 1 M1BT and 3 or 4 M2BT. None of them had this buzz. They had other connectivity problems though, poor range, and a not optimal Multipoint. And some amp hiss.
It may be that what you hear is the amp hiss, but I do not understand why you hear it only on the right side. Yes the amp is there, but the hiss should be heard on both sides...
It may be a known issue. I would ask the support. Do not mention a Forum, Supports tend to smooth very much the truth when you mention a Forum, because they are afraid you can go write what they say. Eventually say that you have read many Amazon Reviews talking of this same issue and ask them if it is a know issue and how to solve it.
Then let us know
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 20, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #1,869 of 3,643
It may be that what you hear is the amp hiss, but I do not understand why you hear it only on the right side. Yes the amp is there, but the hiss should be heard on both sides...

It's definitely not amp hiss, the amp hiss can also be heard but this is more of the low volume high pitch buzz, I suspect some kind of interference between the amp and the right speaker?

When I spoke to Philips they said they were aware of the symptom in "apparently" rare cases! I returned one pair and ordered another which ended up having the same problem but they were ordered from the same store so they could very well have been a bad batch?!

Jan 20, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #1,870 of 3,643
Yes it is possible.
It makes always sense to ask the shop for a replacement, when it is not 100% sure that it is a batch related problem.
Which in the case of unknown random problems is mostly the case.
But with known problems the chance of defective batches is bigger.
And it may be more effective to get the replacement from the support, IF the support can guarantee that they can send a non defective unit.
It cannot be taken for granted.
Some "supports" are a joke.

Jan 21, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #1,871 of 3,643
It's definitely not amp hiss, the amp hiss can also be heard but this is more of the low volume high pitch buzz, I suspect some kind of interference between the amp and the right speaker?...

I have something similar on my SHB9250. It has a touch control surface on the right side, and whenever I use that, there follows that high pitch buzz for a few seconds afterwards. Its a Philips thing with poor electromagnetic shielding.

Jan 21, 2016 at 6:40 AM Post #1,873 of 3,643
Giogio, remind me which way the angle goes on the ATH earpads please. Wide goes to the ______ ? Thanks!
top.The wide part goes to the top, above the eyes, to protect you from rain.
Hombre, I'm not sure how your ears are, but mine are so that the only way to put the earpads is with the thick part to the back :)

Jan 21, 2016 at 8:50 AM Post #1,875 of 3,643
It's definitely not amp hiss, the amp hiss can also be heard but this is more of the low volume high pitch buzz, I suspect some kind of interference between the amp and the right speaker?

When I spoke to Philips they said they were aware of the symptom in "apparently" rare cases! I returned one pair and ordered another which ended up having the same problem but they were ordered from the same store so they could very well have been a bad batch?!

I would agree with this description.  It does not really sound like standard amp hiss.  More like some type of interference in the internals.  Also looks like the only convenient place online I can get a set is at Amazon (in the US).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back