HRT MicroStreamer
Sep 2, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #17 of 109
We strongly recommend buffers of no larger than 50 ms with any asynchronous device like the microStreamer.  Since the underlying concept behind an asynchronous interface is that the device (microStreamer in this case) is polled by the host (computer) at a predefined interval for the feedback value, any excessively large buffers is going to delay the host's response and this can result in either buffer over or under runs which will manifest as 'clicks, pops and other anomalies'.  Keeping the media player's buffer size reasonable in size keeps it (the media player/host combination) responsive to the feedback values sent from the device and avoids breaking the underlying concept of the protocol used.

In addition, there is a monitoring function that is present in this and all Streamer models that might interesting to some.  The Streamer looks for corrupt packets (none whole sample divisiable) and if it sees five or more consecutive, it will flash the mute LED to warn the user of the problem.  This monitor doesn't catch host generated buffer issues as the function verifies the size of the packet (checks for a whole number of samples) but can't know about the upstream behavior outside of the packet size.   

For this or any questions you might have, please email: support@hirestech.com, this email address is monitored nearly constantly and we are always happy to assist with the proper configuration of any HRT product.

Kevin Halverson
CTO
High Resolution Technologies, LLC

Sep 20, 2013 at 8:54 AM Post #18 of 109
Haven't had any issues with my MS, also the #1 most interesting thing I've paired with my DT990's so far. Meridian seems to be a bit better overal and more detailed. But the way the MS navigates the mid's through my Beyer is magical; as if they're boosted, but in a very natural way. Also brings depth into every set up, be it speakers or headphones, unlike the MusicStreamer 2 I had for a whil... Sincere kudo's on this one, HRT!

Sep 20, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #20 of 109
Would you say the Explorer has more bass than the MS? How is the Meridian soundstage/presentation-wise?
Haven't had any issues with my MS, also the #1 most interesting thing I've paired with my DT990's so far. Meridian seems to be a bit better overal and more detailed. But the way the MS navigates the mid's through my Beyer is magical; as if they're boosted, but in a very natural way. Also brings depth into every set up, be it speakers or headphones, unlike the MusicStreamer 2 I had for a whil... Sincere kudo's on this one, HRT!

Sep 21, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #21 of 109
Would you say the Explorer has more bass than the MS? How is the Meridian soundstage/presentation-wise?

whoooa, good question, as I recall I believed the bass to be a bit bigger, but just as defined. One of the reasons the HRT pairs so well with the Beyer is the fact it keeps the bass in check, I didn't notice that on the Meridian. Meridian defines the high's a bit better so the soundstage might be ahead if just slightly so. One of the tracks I auditioned has the sound of rain drawing near you, and exactly this sensation stood out on the whole Meridian audition. I always try to keep in mind that the DT990 is quite 'unique' when it comes to alleged amplifier and dac effects though.

Sep 22, 2013 at 7:31 AM Post #23 of 109
Straight out of a MacBook's USB port. It's the HRT that emphasizes the mids a little in my opinion, the Meridian is just very 'well behaved and sophisticated'. It's very resolving and detailed, but not analytical at all, it's actually quite smooth. I don't think that the HD650 will have any problem being driven by the Meridian at all(remember they appear to scale up well), but I can't say whether it is the best headphone to combine with the explorer.

Sep 22, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #24 of 109
The HD650 will be better paired with HRT Microstreamer.  The HRT Microstreamer has a slight upper midrange emphasis to me, that will complement the HD650. 
It's why the LCD-2 also sounds more lively with the HRT Microstreamer.  The Meridian Explorer is more even and smooth through out.  But this is to my ears.  

Sep 23, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #25 of 109
So what would you recommend to go with AKG K550 headphones? Both the HRT and Meridian get good reviews but is the Meridian worth the extra money?

Also, what kind of audio files are you guys using?

Sep 23, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #26 of 109
  So what would you recommend to go with AKG K550 headphones? Both the HRT and Meridian get good reviews but is the Meridian worth the extra money?

Also, what kind of audio files are you guys using?

I've heard several head fi really like the HRT Micro with the K550.  Look at the HRT Microstreamer thread.  There are several comments about the synergy with K550.

Sep 23, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #27 of 109
Yes, I heard this combo at the LA meet and was surprised, I shied away from the K550 personally because I feared they might be too bass light, but they had a nice punch with the micro and the overall sound was excellent, very natural and coherent.
I've heard several head fi really like the HRT Micro with the K550.  Look at the HRT Microstreamer thread.  There are several comments about the synergy with K550.

Sep 23, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #28 of 109
I agree the HD650 is a nice match for the mS, they do compliment each other well, but as a reformed bass head I am lusting after ever so slightly more punch than my mS -> Asgard -> HD650 rig provides.

I've come to think that synergy is much more specific and/or complex than a simple matter of complementing signatures; it would generally seem to be the case, but I find it interesting that the bright, occasionally edgy mS sounded great with the bright, notoriously bass-light K550s, and that the legendary HD650->BH Crack pairing, with a warm and dark phone alongside a typically warm tube amp, works so well.
The HD650 will be better paired with HRT Microstreamer.  The HRT Microstreamer has a slight upper midrange emphasis to me, that will complement the HD650. 
It's why the LCD-2 also sounds more lively with the HRT Microstreamer.  The Meridian Explorer is more even and smooth through out.  But this is to my ears.  

Sep 24, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #29 of 109

I agree, though I don't know whether it's just the upper midrange that's emphasized.

Jan 13, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #30 of 109
Hi all,

I just did some experimenting with using my Microstreamer as a preamp for my Rotel RB-980BX driving Mordaunt Short 902's and was really amazed by the sound the combination produced. The soundstage was so incredibly open, never expected it to be so good.

I wonder if anyone else has tried this?

Cheers! Stefan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back