How to equalize your headphones: A Tutorial
Mar 16, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #406 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by Philimon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Was anyone able to get any of the linked freeware EQ programs to work on their MAC OSX 10.4? I could not get the programs to start up, however I am not very savvy with computers...

The short answer here is none of linked applications support late OSX. You'd have to google it yourself.

Mar 28, 2010 at 10:54 AM Post #410 of 1,153
Mar 28, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #411 of 1,153
My AKG K500 settings:

k500_peq.jpg

1: 30 Hz | +5 dB | 1,2 Octave
2: 1480 Hz | -2 dB | 3,3 Octave
3: 4650 Hz | -1 dB | 1,0 Octave
4: 5500 Hz | -6 dB | 0,1 Octave
5: 6900 Hz | -7 dB | 0,15 Octave
6: 8500 Hz | +3 dB | 0,2 Octave
7: 10500 Hz | -6 dB | 0,4 Octave
8: 11950 Hz | -8 db | 0,150 Octave

Mar 29, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #412 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by Max F /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm running into a problem with my HD650. I'm getting rid of some of the peaks but it doesn't sound as good with music. More like i've added the infamous "veil" back to the sound.

On my phones, I found I have to remove some of the low end too so that it "balances" with the reduced treble. Otherwise it can sound muddy.

I EQ all my phones now. You get better the more you do it! Hint: spending 1 hour/day for 3 days is better than 3 hours all at once.

Here's my current EQ for my Beyer DT990/600. These phones really shine now! Powerful bass, and great detail across the board.

Beyer DT990/600-ohm
10ie5bn.jpg

Apr 2, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #413 of 1,153
I have been using this process since i got my new headphones. (Denon ahd2000's)

At first i refined it daily. As i found a consistent close to balanced sound i went to checking it less - once a week or 2

i now have nearly 50 hours on my headphones, and i have noticed that my eq graph is changing... i wonder if my ear is just more refined, or if this is due to burn in....

oh, the mysteries of life... :)

needless to say, now that i have been using my d2000's with a flat eq for several weeks, i simply cant go back to the NON-EQ experience. It is just not listenable.. everyone sounds like they are singing into a tin can if i don't use the EQ.
The spikes in the sine wave are ear piercing if i dont eq

makes me wonder how many otherwise superb cans have been cast aside due to people hearing imbalances that could have been corrected.

I cant imagine reviewing headphones without first giving this process a try.

Apr 2, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #415 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by dongringo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Am I the only one who can't figure out how do this? Am I really that stupid? I've read it over and over and just don't get it.

I found his explanation of the process very difficult to comprehend, especially considering that its actually quite easy when you get into it.

I had to read the post many many times just to sift through it all and get to the meat of it.

If I had the time I would love to re-write it in much simpler terms.

none the less, GREAT THREAD!

Here is the absolute bear bones of it

download sine wave generator
download sine wave file and white noise file
downolad and setup elictriq and various vst files that make it work
get elictriq to work - arguably the hardest part of the whole process
sweep through sine wave generator over and over marking down all the parts that are louder than others - this may be long and building sopes, or short peaks -
using electri-q try to compensate for those peaks by removing them
use the sine wave file (so that you can play it in foobar for exaple and implement the eqing that you have done, which you cant do with the sine wave generator) play it over and over to see if you have gotten the peaks flattened.
the idea is to have the whole sweep of the sine sounding the same volume
once in a while play the white noise file and use the eq to fine tune any areas that sound too loud
rememer that all of this eq-ing and judging what is balanced takes lots of practice
dont listen to the sine or white noise for too long or try to do this process for too long or all in one day b/c your ears will get fatigued quickly

viola.. hope that helps

Apr 2, 2010 at 3:05 AM Post #416 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by Br777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found his explanation of the process very difficult to comprehend, especially considering that its actually quite easy when you get into it.

I had to read the post many many times just to sift through it all and get to the meat of it.

If I had the time I would love to re-write it in much simpler terms.

none the less, GREAT THREAD!

Here is the absolute bear bones of it

download sine wave generator
download sine wave file and white noise file
downolad and setup elictriq and various vst files that make it work
get elictriq to work - arguably the hardest part of the whole process
sweep through sine wave generator over and over marking down all the parts that are louder than others - this may be long and building sopes, or short peaks -
using electri-q try to compensate for those peaks by removing them
use the sine wave file (so that you can play it in foobar for exaple and implement the eqing that you have done, which you cant do with the sine wave generator) play it over and over to see if you have gotten the peaks flattened.
the idea is to have the whole sweep of the sine sounding the same volume
once in a while play the white noise file and use the eq to fine tune any areas that sound too loud
rememer that all of this eq-ing and judging what is balanced takes lots of practice
dont listen to the sine or white noise for too long or try to do this process for too long or all in one day b/c your ears will get fatigued quickly

viola.. hope that helps

Where have you been all my life? Can I buy you a drink?
beerchug.gif

Apr 2, 2010 at 3:42 AM Post #417 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by dongringo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where have you been all my life? Can I buy you a drink?
beerchug.gif

i dont drink, but ill settle for a decware csp2 amp, the new decware dac, and some hd800's
wink_face.gif
... bout the same price, give or take...
wink_face.gif

Apr 2, 2010 at 4:07 AM Post #418 of 1,153
Quote:

i dont drink, but ill settle for a decware csp2 amp, the new decware dac, and some hd800's
wink_face.gif
... bout the same price, give or take...
wink_face.gif

Hahaha Nothing else? I can afford a pat on the back.
wink.gif

Apr 2, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #420 of 1,153
Quote:

i now have nearly 50 hours on my headphones, and i have noticed that my eq graph is changing... i wonder if my ear is just more refined, or if this is due to burn in....

oh, the mysteries of life... :)

prolly both a combination of the drivers membrane getting "mellower" and your brain compensating for spikes...it takes fresh ears to hear what your brain is filtering out(being itself a very powerful DSP).

my cd1k is very much burned in, and it always takes many days to find a proper EQ...as the human brain doesn't allow to hear "untouched" sound for very long anyway(a couple of seconds?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back