How to equalize your headphones: A Tutorial
Jul 7, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #317 of 1,153
Outstanding thread.

Do the listed apps work in windows 7 64 bit or Vista 64 bit? I had issues with the SineGen app in Vista 64. After XP MS completely rewrote their approach to sound drivers so I wouldn't be surprised if something ended up broken in any of these programs.

This says it all:
Quote:

Originally Posted by ]|[ GorE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now,my headphones sound a lot like my local THX certified cinema hall . But,on the down side,I can now hear the crappy treble output of my builtin codec ; the cymbals and hi-hats are clearly messed up . Time to get a new audio card,it would seem.

People spend thousands (and thousands) of dollars on exotic hardware to achieve not as dramatic effect. That Asus Essence card combined with careful equalization starts to look more and more like a poetic response to spending multi-thousands of dollars just to ultimately color your music differently.

This has to be blasphemy to many.
tongue.gif

Jul 15, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #319 of 1,153
@leeperry: Isn't latency totally irrelevant when listening to music ... Low latency just makes sense if you're recording from instruments imho.

Jul 16, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #320 of 1,153
i don't know if its the same problem you guys are having with linear phase, but many times when i skip to a new song in foobar, electri-q will actually modify the curve of my preset, (without moving dots, but still moving the sound). i'll notice it sounding crappy and i'll just hit "load" and it goes back to normal...it also goes to the same skewed position by default on initial startup... every time. i cannot, no matter what, get my profile to load by default on startup without it messing up. there should be a :bangsheadagainstwall: smilie on here, lol.
beerchug.gif
this'll work though.
wink.gif
the messed up config it goes to isnt saved on any preset btw, it just misreads the correct one or something.

thanks for this tutorial btw! it may have saved my denon d2000's from ebay or the trash bin due to extreme brightness/sibilance issues. "extreme" as you can see by the "correct" screenshot on the left. what i cannot figure out though is if all headphones display 6-8k and 12-13k frequencies louder than they are supposed to..why do none of the manufacturers recognize this and fix it?? i'm not discounting the proposition that this phenomenon exists, i'm just thinking it would be sooo easy to engineer this problem out of existence in the design phase, as it seems the issue is typically in the same frequencies, and similar amounts of correction is typcially used to remedy it. and we could buy a pair of headphones without having to hook it to eq first
ph34r.gif

EDIT: ok, heres a couple screenshots.. correct setup on left, and screwy problem in the middle. one other thing ive noticed is the windows dpi setting, if set to anything other than default screws up the interface, as shown in the pics.

2nd EDIT: i just found out after hitting the "A/B" button twice, where it should normally return to "A", it screws up, but differently than the way it does when skipping tracks in foobar. i posted this in pic 3

Jul 16, 2009 at 8:32 AM Post #321 of 1,153
@xnor: the higher the latency, the glitchier it gets when you seek

@dlb0089:yes, Electri-Q is buggy as hell(whatever the latest stable build or the latest beta), and that latency in linear mode is annoying....plus the other modes don't sound as good. may wanna try NyquistEq5

Jul 16, 2009 at 9:30 AM Post #322 of 1,153
Large latencies also introduce a delay in response to equalization settings.

Jul 16, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #323 of 1,153
as a follow up to the problem i was having in post #320, the whole ordeal was caused by using linear phase mode with s-plane filters. whenever i would skip to another track that had a different sample rate (44.1 to 96, or any other difference) my eq would move drastically along with it. apparently either the s-plane filters, or the linear phase mode as a whole suffers this problem. hope this helps anybody else having the same issue!

Right now i'm using digital mode with PhaseRed peak filters without the fore-mentioned problem. Is this a good choice or is there a better choice for the most accurate sound?

thanks guys!
popcorn.gif

Jul 16, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #324 of 1,153
is the program only capable of actually permanently storing 1 user preset at a time or something?? because i'll spend forever getting a damn preset right for my main speakers, and then when i go to start a 2nd one with a totally different name, it'll just throw out the 1st one for the other speaker.. buggy damn program...it'll only let me have 1 user preset plus all the factory preset crap.. this program is becoming an exercise for my patience..
frown.gif

hmm, long story short and removing a couple edits... i've moved to nyquist-eq5. it seems to do a pretty good job once you take some time to set it up. its alot simpler interface AFTER you get used to not having db and frequency markers. seems to do a pretty good job in those sharp curves where 7k is high and 8 is lower than standard even.

i did have one problem initially with the saving of presets, but it seems this MIGHT be a bug, but anybody whos having trouble can work around it by deleting a previous revision of settings before saving, instead of overwriting old sets, which screwed up pretty bad.

i think i'm finally able to start enjoying my phones with the new 4562 opamps onboard.
smily_headphones1.gif
they seem to go well with my speakers as well, so i think i'll take a good week-long critical listen before i do much else!

thanks guys! sorry for double post earlier

Jul 17, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #326 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by dlb0089 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can work around it by deleting a previous revision of settings before saving, instead of overwriting old sets, which screwed up pretty bad.

the VST wrapper cannot overwrite existing presets, know issue..I've told its coder
ksc75smile.gif

Jul 17, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #327 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by dlb0089 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is the program only capable of actually permanently storing 1 user preset at a time or something??

No, you can actually have as many presets as your HDD can store. You can export your presets to a file.

Click M >> Presets >> Export Preset...

I hope it helps!

Quote:

Originally Posted by winwin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would it make sense to equalize my sr60i?

It would make more sense to buy some hps with less distortion product, HD 595 for instance, and then play with equalization.

Jul 19, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #328 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The real question is, do you get glitches during actual uninterrupted playback?

yes, the glitches aren't caused by skipping tracks, they are caused by differing sample rates in files.

Jul 19, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #329 of 1,153
To reset VST Host's setting (so you can start foobar2000), go to
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data
and delete GeorgeYohngVST.ini

The best way is to not use VST Host to store your effect chain, but instead use it to load
a proper chainer VST (Acon EffectChainer, EffectChainer - Effect Rack - Chain VST and DirectX Effects
FREE) which is easier to work with and easier to fix if messed up and easier to save different preset and... you get the picture.

The EQ I recommend is IIEQPro by DDMF (**** DDMF-The home of Equalizers-DDMF ****),
this EQ and additional VST plugins on that site can be had for next to nothing (51 cents!
If that's what you want to pay) and the delay is pretty low. Electri-Q, especially the full
version, is extremely flexible but there are many reports of bugs and crashes, though keep using it
if it works for you
biggrin.gif
As for the difference between less expensive and more expensive digital
EQs, there's debate nearly everywhere so google it will give you an better explanation, however,
both Algorithmix (Red, Orange and Blue EQ) and Refined Audiometrics (Plpar EQ and lesser/less
cpu intensive versions) offer time limited demos, give them a try especially on steep resonances
that requires a high Q to minimize distortion on surrounding frequencies, but use them with ASIO
and the biggest buffer size as they introduce significant delays).

Jul 19, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #330 of 1,153
im a newb and i don't understand how to use electri-q. i don't really use winamp so im not familiar with plug ins but i can't really get it to work. maybe i'm using it wrong, i find it under options>prefs>plug ins>dsp>configure active plug in. thats how i get to use gui which sometimes seems to have no affect on the pink noise at all, and other times when i can tell that it is actually lowering the dbs, i'm not sure what exactly im listening for to disappear. i hear the pink noise getting lower but i can't really tell if something is a certain part of it is disappearing.
frown.gif

edit: also, what are you supposed to do once you've figured out your correct equalization; is there a way to apply that to your entire pc or will you have to use the media player you set the settings with all the time if you want good sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back