How to equalize your headphones: A Tutorial
Sep 20, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #347 of 1,153
humm, I think I've finally found an EQ plugin that doesn't sound wonky:

ssl.png

Quote:

The unique sound of Solid State Logic’s 4000 Series analogue mixing consoles is sought after worldwide. Engineers of pop and rock music, broadcast transmissions and television post-production value the SSL 4000’s flexible dynamics chain as much as the trademark SSL “punchy” sound. Waves and SSL engineers have worked together for over a year to recreate the sound characteristics of the classic SSL 4000 Series E and G Series consoles. Now, those who “mix in the box” can achieve the sound they thought they’d lost when they moved to the digital world.

Sep 24, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #349 of 1,153
Have problem with sin gen 2.1-2.5 ! Set it up with esi juli@ but when i turn the power on I'm getting error " the format is not supported " vista 64 ultimate ! I'm willing to give it a try but the problem is there .....
Does anyone know the solution or some kind of advice
ty

Sep 25, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #350 of 1,153
I had the same problem.

I clicked on "Setup" under output and deleted the 24/96, which I assume playsback in a format which is not 24bit/96kHz.

Works for me now. But I get the odd crash when I'm messing around on the slider.

Good luck!
beyersmile.png

Oct 4, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #352 of 1,153
Thanks Piccolo! I also have the 404 but use a Mac. I decided instead to buy a DEQ2496. For some reason is not popular around here. I did use SyneGen using BootCamp and it does really allow you to hear peaks. By the way, the Behringer has also a white noise generator that helps fine tune it to my ears.
I use you graphic in the parametric equalizer of the Behringer and they sound much better. Extremely enjoyable, allowing me ot listen for hours without fatigue.
I am puzzled by some of the comments in the Stax thread where many have commented in the importance of matching components for your headphones (ie make sure you DAC is not to bright if your phones are, etc) when the use of a good equalizer technique such as yours is better and cheaper.
The width in the DEQ2496 (I assume is like a crossfeed) is an added bonus.

Oct 14, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #353 of 1,153
a very hard song to EQ for headphones is "The Stranglers - Golden Brown.flac" on the Snatch OST...godda**, harpsichord is really nasty to EQ
frown.gif

anyway, I got bored of the SSL EQ...I currently use the Oxford EQ(same code as in the top-of-the-line SONY boards), it sounds amazingly natural
smily_headphones1.gif

oxf.png

Oct 14, 2009 at 12:54 PM Post #355 of 1,153
hummm that Oxford EQ really sounds amazingly good, everything the other EQ tried to achieve...and failed to deliver
devil_face.gif

I'd guess the testimonials on their website are not made up(as they always are
biggrin.gif
): Sonnox Oxford Plugins

plus it supports 24bit dithering, so set foobar to 24bit bit-perfect...and prepare to be amazed
darthsmile.gif

Oct 14, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #356 of 1,153
My way to 'equalize' my headphone is the using of a Braun preamp with level control.

With this level control (pegel) I can adjust the input CD and Phono sources!

Many CD's sounds too loud, specially on 'forte' moments of the orchestra.
The volume control is then not enough to control the different loud and silent moments (dynamic) of the music.
Lehmann's Black Cube Linear (headphone amp) works also with this level control system and it works well!
You can also in this way solve the problems with the low and high ohms headphones and adjust the input with 0db-10db or -20 db.

Oct 15, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #357 of 1,153
so, no contenders to try the Oxford EQ?

even w/ fresh ears, I'm blown away..Electri-Q is pathetic in comparison
evil_smiley.gif

now that I've RTFM, no wonder I prefered EQ type 2 :
Quote:

EQ Type 2
The boost curves are identical to Type 1, whereas the cut curves are tighter. In fact this is a true 'constant Q' equaliser where the cut curve is 3 times sharper than the boost curve, ideal for removing troublesome resonances.

Oct 20, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #358 of 1,153
Hi There

First of all thank you enormously for your equalizing article
happy_face1.gif

Over the last 18-24 months I have become dissatisfied with my HiFi... and 2 weeks ago I went for a Hearing test and discovered that I am suffering from a mild mid-high notch... (most likely damage..)

Using your toolset I therefore tested my hearing (with SineGen) and equalised my computer output for a relatively flat(er) response....

The result is dramatically different (better
atsmile.gif
)- even though the headphones I am using are basic!

My office computer is in a fairly loud space with lots of computer fans and such - so I have been using a Sennheiser pxc250 I bought some years back for travelling.

Question now arises:

how to best proceed in combining the several aspects of equalisation and noise reduction

1) Equalising for my hearing - Notch down 30db from 4k to 8k, back up to almost normal at 9k to 10k then dramatic dropping slope from there onwards -33 @ 12k, -36@14k -42@18k -50@20k

2) Combining this with compensating for headphone flaws... two notches are visible in my home headphone audiogram at around 4k and 6k (I have not narrowed them down yet)

3) I still need NR in my office space - but am considering whether to get dual purpose headphones to be used in my primary system listening as well, or whether I should get seperate headphones for the seperate tasks...

So what is the best way to work through this?

Should I start by getting better headphones (with a smoother response for starters!)?
Should I focus on working with what I have and working through to flatten the response more accurately?

I know that minimal processing is usually the best approach - but given my now very non flat "ear" frequency response....

Open to advice, suggestions, etc...

Thank you all

Oct 24, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #360 of 1,153
im sure you'll love this one for 3 days just like all the other ones you tried hehe. no offense, but you skip around EQ's like socks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so, no contenders to try the Oxford EQ?

even w/ fresh ears, I'm blown away..Electri-Q is pathetic in comparison
evil_smiley.gif

now that I've RTFM, no wonder I prefered EQ type 2 :

Users who are viewing this thread

Back