How to equalize your headphones: A Tutorial
Oct 13, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #1,111 of 1,153

I've been using a Rane DEQ 60L 30 band EQ for years to compensate for my high frequency hearing loss.  It requires balanced input/output and an extra set of interconnects.  

I think most EQ looks more complicated that it really is.

http://www.rane.com/deq60l.html

Hmm, well I have exceptional hearing still (my ears overcompensate for my eyes, I can't see anything). I don't see that unit carried anywhere so far. I don't know how much they run either. I don't see the need to spend more than $100 or so on something like this. I'm wondering if it's even worth doing?

Yes, most EQs look complicated and can be if one does not know how to properly use EQs and what to expect.

That EQ sells for about $1,000 new at places like Music Direct or maybe Sweetwater.  They are on eBay new as well.  They rarely come up used on eBay and go for $400 - $500.  Clark Teknics makes an less expensive EQ but it destroys sound quality.  Rane does make a 15 band EQ

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=134867&gclid=CITp4qz3v8gCFRBrfgodLKkLvQ&is=REG&A=details&Q=

Less expensive, but you'd still be way over $100 

Oct 13, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #1,113 of 1,153
^ nice 
beerchug.gif

Oct 30, 2015 at 5:51 AM Post #1,114 of 1,153
Has anyone tried EQing a Sennheiser HD 219 ? I tried 2 different methods, one with the raw frequency response of the headphones, the other with the equal loudness curve compensation Joe Bloggs posted in page 74 (major props for that, by the way o/), and I've found small but noticeable changes with the former, and an overall very warm, way less harsh yet somewhat clearer sound on the latter, with a lot less treble but much better mids (I can easily hear the low-level sounds on the Invincible album now)

w/ equal loudness curve
Channel: all
Preamp: -12 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 11500 Hz Gain -7 dB Q 11.5
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 8500 Hz Gain -6 dB Q 8.5
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 5500 Hz Gain -5 dB Q 5.5
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 8750 Hz Gain -4 dB Q 6

Is it a pretty good EQ ? Should I work more on that to get better treble, or is it how the music must sound in the first place ? (because quite frankly, I don't have any reference sound, all of my audio equipment is low-end =p)

Oct 30, 2015 at 7:34 AM Post #1,115 of 1,153
Has anyone tried EQing a Sennheiser HD 219 ? I tried 2 different methods, one with the raw frequency response of the headphones, the other with the equal loudness curve compensation Joe Bloggs posted in page 74 (major props for that, by the way o/), and I've found small but noticeable changes with the former, and an overall very warm, way less harsh yet somewhat clearer sound on the latter, with a lot less treble but much better mids (I can easily hear the low-level sounds on the Invincible album now)

w/ equal loudness curve
Channel: all

Preamp: -12 dB

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 11500 Hz Gain -7 dB Q 11.5

Filter 2: ON PK Fc 8500 Hz Gain -6 dB Q 8.5

Filter 3: ON PK Fc 5500 Hz Gain -5 dB Q 5.5

Filter 4: ON PK Fc 8750 Hz Gain -4 dB Q 6

Is it a pretty good EQ ? Should I work more on that to get better treble, or is it how the music must sound in the first place ? (because quite frankly, I don't have any reference sound, all of my audio equipment is low-end =p)

If you want more treble to come back out, you may try adding a low-Q, low-gain PK filter somewhere around 8500Hz, to add some overall boost to make up for the treble peaks you cut out.

Something like

Filter 5: ON PK Fc 8500Hz Gain +3dB Q 0.5

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Oct 31, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #1,116 of 1,153
I found a simple way (for me at least) for EQ-ing without electicQ. for android I just copy paste neutron eq set and load them on VIPER-DDC. I use android apps noisegen to create swipe tone. so this app has adjustment with unlimited time i think. load the file on neutron player and fix the peak. after that copy paste the EQ setting to create DDC file and load the setting on viper DDC. if there is still residual peaks or dips just reset neutron EQ and play the tone again fix it again and add the fix set to the current DDC file.

Nov 3, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #1,117 of 1,153
Just about to start on my Sennheiser HD25.  I am using Equalizer APO with Peace Frontend for my 2.1 speaker setup so I might as well utlize that for my headphone setup too.

So, what is the latest thinking on how to eq headphones using this setup?  In addition to EqAPO and Peace, do I just need SineGen and some pink noise?  Or something else?  What methodology?

Sorry, I've read so many threads on here and there are lots of "flavours" of how to do it - I just want to start out as I mean to go on.

Nov 8, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #1,118 of 1,153
Hey guys, great tutorial.
I've worked out this to be good EQ for my momentum's

This being sai I did not undestand the pink noise part and how to use is and the sine.wav
Also some files are not up anymore and had to google them so don't know if I use the good samples.
Usin sinegen I worked out these two peaks and lowered them....

Could have probably done this better but some parts I didn't understand.

Now I'm really missing deadbeaf since I prefer Manjaro vs win 8 long way...
Any way to have a similar parametric EQ in Linux?? Thanks

Nov 11, 2015 at 1:38 AM Post #1,119 of 1,153
gijoe

Neat, but how can we tell which graph coo responds to which headphones, I don't see labels.

RE: Originally Posted by Raimonds /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How to equalize your headphones
 Hello,
We can see lot of headphones curves offered by different sources. What is the reliability level of such curves?
I would like to offer some criteria to judge is some Amplitude Frequency Response curve reliable or not:
 – can we create an equalizer based on such curve and is such equalizer removing problems (sound coloring) and does not add new ones?
The accurate and reliable measurement shows that it is impossible to characterize some headphones model by only one curve. The curve is different from one pair to another and even between two drivers of one pair of headphones.
Please visit this measurement collection  http://aplaudio.com/conc2/knowledge/equalizing-headphones
and try to determine which 6 pairs of curves are representing 6 pairs of Sennheiser HD600 headphones. Same thing with Sennheiser HD650 4 pairs.

It is for that guys who are thinking that they "know" what is what.
But ok, the 16, 17, 25, 29, 34, 35 are Sennheiser HD600  6 pairs

Dec 2, 2015 at 5:55 AM Post #1,120 of 1,153
Just did a little work for this.

Since you're using Equalizer APO, you really want to add the Peace UI:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/peace-equalizer-apo-extension/

Regarding what I said about equal loudness contours, I've embedded an equal loudness compensation curve into the following Peace preset:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tgtm3kmph4ics8n/70dB%20equal%20loudness%20contour.peace?dl=0

Load this and the Commands button should show an asterisk (choosing the Full Interface for Peace)--the compensation curve is being applied in the background. Music and Sinegen should sound quite different... you may tweak the EQ graphically now (including the green curve button showing a full curve that can be manipulated directly) until a sine sweep sounds even in loudness (you may also forego the sine sweep and use Sinegen directly:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bp4dwqfv1qtdx38/SineGen.zip?dl=0

All this testing actually needs to be done at a good volume, rather than "just-detectable" levels. The goal is to make the sine sweep even when played at music-listening levels (i.e. loud and clear. Well, not exactly "LOUD". I indicated that 70dB would be a good reference volume.)

Remember to make use of the Quality (Q) variable, where higher Q produces a more narrow adjustment. Useful when you actually hit a narrow resonance peak that needs to be tamed.

Finally when you have made the sine sweep even with your settings you need to remove the equal loudness compensation curve for actual music listening. To do this, save to a new preset, then click the *Commands button and delete all the text I added inside and click Save.

Hope that helps
smily_headphones1.gif
As you gain experience, you may be able to tweak the compensation curve to your own ears for better results.

So is applying this compensation curve first before listening for peaks the correct way to do it vs not using the curve like in the OP? I know lots of people probably never used it and reported success, but is using this curve more accurate? Bit confused... 

Edit: Am I supposed to be listening to the pink noise while playing SineGen at the same time? I really don't know how to use the pink noise correctly. So far I've been trying to listen for peaks, and then EQing it at that frequency and starting with a narrow Q and slowly widening it until I can sweep over and around that peak frequency until everything sounds equally loud and smooth.

Also, has anyone tried using an SPL Meter to do this type of EQing? Or would that not work...

Thanks.

Dec 2, 2015 at 6:05 AM Post #1,121 of 1,153
can anoyone for the sake of god tell me how you eq ur audeze lcd2 rev2, i thought maybe my experience with car audio processors ( helix pro processor )  is not helping me , as honestly i gave up eqing my audeze lcd2 rev2 as it starts to sound like crap with using eq in jriver

i need more bass and and thats about it, as i feel the lcd2 lacks bass simple as that , and i know many audeze owners say otherwise but to me it sounds so dam flat that I need to eq the low ends, but when i use eq everything collapses with the audeze lcd2

so please before i smash this lcd2 on the floor please share your eq for the audeze lcd2 in jriver

Dec 8, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #1,122 of 1,153
  can anoyone for the sake of god tell me how you eq ur audeze lcd2 rev2, i thought maybe my experience with car audio processors ( helix pro processor )  is not helping me , as honestly i gave up eqing my audeze lcd2 rev2 as it starts to sound like crap with using eq in jriver

i need more bass and and thats about it, as i feel the lcd2 lacks bass simple as that , and i know many audeze owners say otherwise but to me it sounds so dam flat that I need to eq the low ends, but when i use eq everything collapses with the audeze lcd2

so please before i smash this lcd2 on the floor please share your eq for the audeze lcd2 in jriver

what source/amp do you use with your lcd-2?

Dec 8, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #1,123 of 1,153
Any way to have a similar parametric EQ in Linux?? Thanks

You can set up either ALSA or Pulseaudio to use LADSPA plugins, and you can then use the TAP EQ plugins. If you have EQ settings that go beyond what a single run of TAP can do, you can chain two sets of filters, which is what I do for my speaker EQ.

Dec 15, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #1,125 of 1,153
Thank you for a good tutorial.

I use Windows 7 and Equalizer APO w/Peace frontend in the following.

My first attempt to EQ Sennheiser HD700 has resulted in these EQ values:

I'll probably have to experiment some more to find the perfect values for me, but for now I think this will do nicely.
Btw. I'm listening via a Meier Audio Corda Classic amp which is very neutral and transparent - highly recommended.

Hope this can be of use to any HD700 owners out there.

Thanks,
Henrik

Users who are viewing this thread

Back