How to equalize your headphones: A Tutorial
Feb 16, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #946 of 1,153

Thank you!! I stayed with v1.0 but found skins and 1 matches much better than the old orange one  (Dual screen screeny)

Found out where that weird name came from...lol...I thought it was German but it was just some random keystrokes...mystery solved
biggrin.gif

Feb 18, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #947 of 1,153
I've already installed v1, but was looking to see if there were really any added benefits from their final version of posihfopit.

Will bookmark though, just in case.  Thanks!

Mar 4, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #948 of 1,153
Hello,

I have a few questions regarding this tutorial.

When you start using sinegen, do you press the power button as a song is playing?

Also what settings do you put the level (-db) at? By default it opens at -15 and when played with a song, the volume of the song is unchanged. However, the picture in the tutorial shows the levels set at 0, and when played with a song, the song's volume decreases slightly.

Using foobar2k with AKG Q701.

Mar 4, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #949 of 1,153
  Hello,

I have a few questions regarding this tutorial.

When you start using sinegen, do you press the power button as a song is playing?

Also what settings do you put the level (-db) at? By default it opens at -15 and when played with a song, the volume of the song is unchanged. However, the picture in the tutorial shows the levels set at 0, and when played with a song, the song's volume decreases slightly.

Using foobar2k with AKG Q701.

I think you misread the tutorial.

Sinegen is used to seek the frequency response humps and valleys of your headphones, so you don't need to play any songs. Just press the power button, listen to the tone, and move the slider up and down until you can hear the tone becomes louder of softer on certain frequencies.

Most of the time you'll find the tone gets very loud between 7 - 8 kHz.

It is better if you do that to each channel separately by setting the level -100 on one of the channel. It's because left and right cups usually have different frequency response.

Mar 4, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #950 of 1,153

I think you misread the tutorial.

Sinegen is used to seek the frequency response humps and valleys of your headphones, so you don't need to play any songs. Just press the power button, listen to the tone, and move the slider up and down until you can hear the tone becomes louder of softer on certain frequencies.

Most of the time you'll find the tone gets very loud between 7 - 8 kHz.

It is better if you do that to each channel separately by setting the level -100 on one of the channel. It's because left and right cups usually have different frequency response.

Okay, thank you for the information.

Another question.

When using Electri-Q as a VST on Foobar, do you load it together within foobar as you play the pink noise? Or separate (as an application) from Foobar, and then load it (depending on what EQ you achieved) to play audio through the DSP/VST.

Mar 5, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #951 of 1,153

Okay, thank you for the information.

Another question.

When using Electri-Q as a VST on Foobar, do you load it together within foobar as you play the pink noise? Or separate (as an application) from Foobar, and then load it (depending on what EQ you achieved) to play audio through the DSP/VST.

You don't load Electri-Q separately. You need to load it inside Foobar, so that the music gets 'routed through' it.

May 4, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #953 of 1,153
http://www.head-fi.org/t/672716/the-999-vs-99-challenge-tour/495#post_10502877

Replace HybridReverb2 mentioned in this post with an AU parametric equalizer (I think there's one bundled with Macs)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 4, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #954 of 1,153
  Hey guys,

I'm not sure this has been mentioned earlier in the thread, but does someone have an equalisation method to recommend on Mac OS X?

When I had my Macbook Pro setup as a music server, I used IZotope Ozone 5 which you can get here.   While it is aimed at mastering a recording session, it can be easily be used as an EQ.  It has other useful 'compression' features and great graphics displays that I liked.  You would need the basic program not the advanced.

edit:  I used the Ozone 5 with Audirvana Plus music player that integrates with iTunes.  Check it out here.

Jun 4, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #955 of 1,153
I've been finding peaks on my headphones and equalizing them successfully now, but a new problem has risen. When I play back a song and try listening to it with and without the EQ, I can 'feel' a loss of fidelity in the EQ profile with the chopped peaks, even when I've reduced the gain of the peaks only around 4dB. The width of my bands is no larger than 0.2 8va.  Is it supposed to feel this way? Especially when chopping that peak around 6800 kHz, the music sounds slightly muffled afterwards. What do you guys think?

Jun 4, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #956 of 1,153
I don't know what method you use to achieve the EQ, but muffled sound is the opposite of a well equalized signal.  When I switch from EQ to bypass (no EQ), it sounds like I've got cotton in my ears.  With the EQ the detail and sound stage are amazing.

Jun 5, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #957 of 1,153
  I don't know what method you use to achieve the EQ, but muffled sound is the opposite of a well equalized signal.  When I switch from EQ to bypass (no EQ), it sounds like I've got cotton in my ears.  With the EQ the detail and sound stage are amazing.

Just the standard method of finding the peaks with a sine wave, then using a pink noise to flatten out the peaks. I takes about -7db for the peak at 6800 Hz (band width 200 Hz) to flatten out for me, but that results in a slightly muffled sound, which I perceive as loss of fidelity. 

Jun 5, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #959 of 1,153
By adjusting for the resonant frequency for the ear canal, aren't we modifying the signal in possibly negative way? Assuming that the sound engineer uses active monitors for proofing and recording, then that very well includes the resonant frequency of his ear canal. By, flattening these peaks, aren't we listening something not the way intended by him?

Jun 5, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #960 of 1,153
^ Not really.  Lots of things change the frequency response before the sound gets to our brain.  The source / DAC, cable interconnects, Amplifier, choice of vacuum tubes, headphone cable, headphones, outer ear, our inner ear, and our neurological response all have an effect on the frequencies we 'hear'.   Even headphones that are equalized using a frequency analyzer still need to be adjusted, to some extent, to the listener's experience.  It is a tricky process and needs to be practiced.  When it is done correctly there is an obvious improvement in the SQ. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back