How To Build One Of The World's Finest Dynamic Headphones (markl Denon AH-D5000 Mods)
Feb 19, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #677 of 811
Since my last post (previous page) I removed some of the excess dynamat as it was making the headphones too heavy for comfort. Removing the dynamat around the outside edges of the cups lightened them up just as they were before, and I didn't really notice a difference in sound quality so I guess it was an unnecessary thing to do in the first place.

Mar 2, 2010 at 6:12 AM Post #678 of 811
Quote:

Originally Posted by jarthel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what's the alternative to a hole puncher? thank you

anyone?

thank you
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 2, 2010 at 7:57 AM Post #680 of 811
Quote:

Originally Posted by happyxix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So why is this mod supposed to "work"? Any scientific evidence to show why adding stuff in the headphones that seemly doesn't do anything works?

Not a big reader are ya?

Mar 2, 2010 at 8:28 AM Post #681 of 811
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not a big reader are ya?

I did. Somethings seem to be pull straight out of the audiophile gullible arse. Like gold and silver tips. Or...harmonic rocks. BUT PHYSICAL proof. Like maybe with a FQ graph or something to see what actually changed. I can shove rocks in my headphones and say it changed so and so too.

Mar 2, 2010 at 9:03 AM Post #682 of 811
Quote:

Originally Posted by jarthel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what's the alternative to a hole puncher? thank you

The alternative is no dynamat on that part of the headphone at all. In the case of the D2000 some people choose not to put any dynamat on that part (the circular part that needs lots of holes punched). In the case of the D5000 some choose to dampen that part and generally considered the right thing to do.

An alternative to a standard paper hole punch would possibly be a leather hole punch. The challenge would be finding a punch with the right diameter hole. There are two styles of leather punches. One style looks like a pliers and the other style looks like a nail countersink that you hit with a hammer to make a hole. Search Amazon for leather punch.

I haven't done that mod to me Denon so don't know what's going to work best to make holes in the dynamat. I have a D2000 anyways and have no plans to dynamat that part of the headphone.

Mar 2, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #683 of 811
What matters the most technical data in a graph or the listening experience?

Looking at charted data in a graph does not give me any listening pleasure.

Experiment, trust your ears and enjoy the ride through your music.
I don't think this hobby can be totally technical. Everybody hear different and the way we hear and percive the sound can change by many factors from physical to emotional so why get hang up in pure technical data?

IMO at the end what matter is if you like and enjoy what you hear regardless of what any chart says.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Mar 2, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #684 of 811
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman59 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What matters the most technical data in a graph or the listening experience?

Looking at charted data in a graph does not give me any listening pleasure.

Experiment, trust your ears and enjoy the ride through your music.
I don't think this hobby can be totally technical. Everybody hear different and the way we hear and percive the sound can change by many factors from physical to emotional so why get hang up in pure technical data?

IMO at the end what matter is if you like and enjoy what you hear regardless of what any chart says.

True but I like to know the scientific details. I know the brain can be the altered to think one way way to easily. I want to know to see that this isn't some sort of lame sham that manifests in our minds like placebo. Want to see physical data. Its one of the faults of being an engineering student. "Why" is a question that can't always be answered =[

Mar 2, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #685 of 811
Quote:

I did. Somethings seem to be pull straight out of the audiophile gullible arse. Like gold and silver tips. Or...harmonic rocks. BUT PHYSICAL proof. Like maybe with a FQ graph or something to see what actually changed. I can shove rocks in my headphones and say it changed so and so too.

What you hear cannot always be demonstrated with a graph. There is no snake oil here, with the exception of the Cable, IMHO. The Dynamat Mods are pretty much based in sound engineering concepts of resonance control and abatement, and resonance/frequency tuning.

We use an EEG to analyze the brain and it doesn't tell us anything about what is really going on in there, BUT, it's one of the few tools we have. We just don't have the tools to demonstrate why one amp sounds magical and one sounds, Meh.

Mar 3, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #686 of 811
Quote:

True but I like to know the scientific details. I know the brain can be the altered to think one way way to easily. I want to know to see that this isn't some sort of lame sham that manifests in our minds like placebo. Want to see physical data. Its one of the faults of being an engineering student. "Why" is a question that can't always be answered =[

Graphs mean almost nothing as far as the listening experience goes. You can look at scientific data all you want, but it's not going to tell you how something sounds in the end. For example, two headphones could have identical graphs, but one could sound very musical and warm while the other is dry and analytical.

Dynamat doesn't do "nothing" by the way.

Mar 3, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #687 of 811
Who needs "science" to prove that stuffing pads moves the drivers away from your ears and makes them sound different? Try pulling your own phones off your ears or even moving them around a bit. Try changing pad materials. Try stuffing a dirty tshirt in there. Does it make a difference? If you need graphs to convince you of that stuff, then you're an idiot.

Mar 3, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #688 of 811
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What you hear cannot always be demonstrated with a graph. There is no snake oil here, with the exception of the Cable, IMHO. The Dynamat Mods are pretty much based in sound engineering concepts of resonance control and abatement, and resonance/frequency tuning.

We use an EEG to analyze the brain and it doesn't tell us anything about what is really going on in there, BUT, it's one of the few tools we have. We just don't have the tools to demonstrate why one amp sounds magical and one sounds, Meh.

That because hearing is very subjective. Just like being color blind you will never know how a normal person sees the world but the majority will just tell you that you're the one thats not normal. Amp sound different because of the different chips they use. Not all OPAmps are designed the same way just like how not ever dynamic speakers are the same etc (very broad generalization). So different amps will cause different distortion of the sound. Hence why amps of the same chips will pretty much always sound the same if put in identical configurations.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Graphs mean almost nothing as far as the listening experience goes. You can look at scientific data all you want, but it's not going to tell you how something sounds in the end. For example, two headphones could have identical graphs, but one could sound very musical and warm while the other is dry and analytical.

Dynamat doesn't do "nothing" by the way.

No, it wont show you how it sounds, but it will show you what changed. THATS what I am after. Sound is very subjective and not everyone is going to describe anything the same way. I have yet to see two DIFFERENT headphones with the identical frequency graph anyways. What we hear is what we want to hear most of the time but this ain't the sound science forum.

Dynamat help decrease mechanical vibrations. It is used in cars where large subwoofers can cause the metal to vibrate. HOWEVER there is no presence of vibration I can hear in the D7000. Also by putting small strips of Dynamat of the driver barely does anything. However people are doing this mod whether it is 5000 or 7000 so it might have the same issue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who needs "science" to prove that stuffing pads moves the drivers away from your ears and makes them sound different? Try pulling your own phones off your ears or even moving them around a bit. Try changing pad materials. Try stuffing a dirty tshirt in there. Does it make a difference? If you need graphs to convince you of that stuff, then you're an idiot.

No **** sherlock. But that doesn't answer my question of WHAT it do. The biggest idiots are the audiophiles who follow the groupthink mentality and will mow down anyone who objects. All I ask is what does this mod really do to the frequency response as even adjusting position will in fact change the frequency response. Some people say frequency response isn't everything but its the only source that doesn't lie. If there is an increase in specific ranges it WILL BE THERE in the sound. Main reason for skepticism is that so many people describe this mod differently and also how sending in the headphones for this mod cost half as much as D5000 anyways. Seems sketchy. I'm sorry for question your headphone beliefs but I actually want to know why how things happen and not be a brainless follower who probably doesn't know how sound work.

Mar 3, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #690 of 811
Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You clearly don't know much if you think frequency response graphs are objective and "don't lie."

If they are taken by the same method with the same equipment and testing standards then they don't lie. Even it tests are changed a bit, the general pattern will NOT change.

They are only as biased much as the person that is operating them. But for general purpose they are unbiased research if the tester didn't do anything to intentionally change the results.

You obviously are just a sheep following what everyone else says. Please get a brain of your own and then maybe you can answer my question. Or enlightening me why frequency responses are lies?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back