How To Build One Of The World's Finest Dynamic Headphones (markl Denon AH-D5000 Mods)
Feb 8, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #661 of 811
You can skip the step that has the dynamat with all the holes punched in it. In fact some people recommend that you skip that step with the D2000. That's a step that is more for the D5000.

Feb 8, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #662 of 811
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can skip the step that has the dynamat with all the holes punched in it. In fact some people recommend that you skip that step with the D2000. That's a step that is more for the D5000.

Don't the D2000 and the D5000 have the identical driver assemblies? If so, why would the step apply to one but not the other?

Feb 8, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #663 of 811
Quote:

D2000/D5000 are identical as far as internals go.

Feb 9, 2010 at 4:32 AM Post #666 of 811
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
D2000/D5000 are identical as far as internals go.

But not in terms of sound. Here's a post by markl saying that the dynamat piece with all the holes in it is not necessary on the D2000.

Feb 9, 2010 at 9:29 AM Post #667 of 811
Very nice, instead of adding more dynamat, I removed what I had around the plastic rings, and then used my spare scraps of dynamat to cover the ENTIRE inside of the cups, whereas previously I just cut out a shape and slapped it in there.

I don't know the word for it, but the bass is definitely more pronounced, and even shakes the cans enough to the point where I can feel it vibrating against the hair behind my ears lol..

Feb 9, 2010 at 11:38 AM Post #668 of 811
Quote:

But not in terms of sound. Here's a post by markl saying that the dynamat piece with all the holes in it is not necessary on the D2000.

That post says that the sonics of plastic ear cups of the D2000 are why you don't need the perforated Dynamat on the front of the drivers. But presumably, if you have Lawton's own custom wood cups on your D2000, then you would want damping there. I have wood cups on my D2000, and I have tried them both with and without damping on the front of the driver pieces, testing both Dynamat and the Parts Express damping sheet. With that set up, the Parts Express material sounded better than either no damping or Dynamat. Indeed, the sound with Dynamat on the front of the drivers was the worst.

Feb 9, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #669 of 811
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bostonears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That post says that the sonics of plastic ear cups of the D2000 are why you don't need the perforated Dynamat on the front of the drivers. But presumably, if you have Lawton's own custom wood cups on your D2000, then you would want damping there. I have wood cups on my D2000, and I have tried them both with and without damping on the front of the driver pieces, testing both Dynamat and the Parts Express damping sheet. With that set up, the Parts Express material sounded better than either no damping or Dynamat. Indeed, the sound with Dynamat on the front of the drivers was the worst.

Is the Parts Express damping material better for all the Damping mods?

Feb 10, 2010 at 4:37 AM Post #671 of 811
Quote:

Originally Posted by jarthel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is this the one to use? thank you

Yes. That is the dynamat extreme that Mark used himself for the mods.

Feb 10, 2010 at 5:19 AM Post #672 of 811
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the Parts Express damping material better for all the Damping mods?

I don't know, because I did not try the Parts Express material inside the cups. (Dynamat seems to work extremely well there.)

Feb 10, 2010 at 9:22 AM Post #673 of 811
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I removed what I had around the plastic rings

how did you remove dynamat? I thought they're very very hard to remove and might damage the phone's inside?

Feb 10, 2010 at 9:23 AM Post #674 of 811
Quote:

Originally Posted by CDewey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. That is the dynamat extreme that Mark used himself for the mods.

thank you
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 10, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #675 of 811
Quote:

Originally Posted by jarthel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how did you remove dynamat? I thought there very very hard to remove and might damage the phone's inside?

I can not imagine how they removed the dynamat. I had a hard time removing the crap off my desk...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back