How To Build One Of The World's Finest Dynamic Headphones (markl Denon AH-D5000 Mods)
Jun 13, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #331 of 811
Quote:

Originally Posted by omendelovitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my relatively new D5000's have a few light scratches (more like scuffs) almost right out of the box, they're that delicate; a little ridiculous IMO, but what can be done? the silkscreening seems strong enough on my cans...Will the caranuba wax 'fix' the scuffs and scratches?

Kind of a long time for me to respond, I know...

But yes, the carnauba paste wax will fill in the light scratches and most scuffs - maybe 80%. You'll have to let the wax dry completely, overnight if you can, then buff off the dried wax layer. Do this several times to increase the protective layer. The other advantage is that the surface becomes more lustrous.

Several coats of carnauba paste wax should precede usage of wood phones in the same way that break-in should precede serious listening.

Jun 13, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #332 of 811
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Also... doesn't Loc-Tite make some formulas for plastic?

You are absolutely right. A quick check on Google would make this easily apparent, but you can read this.

Jun 16, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #333 of 811
Please advise on how to get the big screw fixed inside the hole in such a way it does not drop out again. Your help is very much appreciated.

Btw this is the second time the HP falls apart. Fluffy design for the money.

P1000631-1.jpg

Jun 17, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #335 of 811
Thanks. It seemed that I lost a nut, but found it outside om my terrace..

Jun 18, 2008 at 5:03 PM Post #336 of 811
I am an artist and I have had a lot of expereince with waxes. Putting a layer of Renaissance wax over the phones would protect the lettering from rubbing off. Also, this micro-crystaline wax dries very hard and is a fantastic protective barrier for the wood. On top of that, Renaissance wax doesn't show fingerprints.

Jun 30, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #337 of 811
I have been extremely happy with my markl Denon AH-D5000 Mods. I have been enjoying them for a couple of months now.

My main requirements in a headphone are extra bass and detail. Those requirements are easily covered. They are also very comfortable.

They are my go-to headphone and I have been selling off a good amount of my collection.

Please remember that these MUST be burned in at least 300 hours.

Jun 30, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #338 of 811
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am an artist and I have had a lot of expereince with waxes. Putting a layer of Renaissance wax over the phones would protect the lettering from rubbing off. Also, this micro-crystaline wax dries very hard and is a fantastic protective barrier for the wood. On top of that, Renaissance wax doesn't show fingerprints.

Where can we buy Renaissance Wax "for less than an arm and a leg?"

The least expensive price I've found on the Net is about $14 for 2.25 oz.

I don't need that much, obviously.

I used pure Canauba Wax, which seems to work fine - but, I doubt its as hard, or seals as well as Renaissance Wax.

Jun 30, 2008 at 2:17 PM Post #339 of 811
Quote:

Where can we buy Renaissance Wax "for less than an arm and a leg?"

The least expensive price I've found on the Net is about $14 for 2.25 oz.

I don't need that much, obviously.

It's here for $7.95 (plus shipping) for one ounce.

Jun 30, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #340 of 811
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bostonears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's here for $7.95 (plus shipping) for one ounce.

Hey... thanks... but... I had found that site before my posted my note.

As I read the text - their minimum order is $25... even though the wax is $7.95 - so... I guess 1 oz is really $25, unless you want to order something else.

Jun 30, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #341 of 811
Quote:

Hey... thanks... but... I had found that site before my posted my note.

As I read the text - their minimum order is $25... even though the wax is $7.95 - so... I guess 1 oz is really $25, unless you want to order something else.

And I now see that the two other places I found that sell the one ounce container also have a $25 minimum. Looks like you're right that there isn't a way to buy a small amount of Renaissance Wax cheaply. Bummer.

Jun 30, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #343 of 811
Quote:

Originally Posted by spinali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A few places online sell small tins of Renaissance Wax for $15, and it's said to last a long time. One <b>Polishing: Renaissance Wax </b>
vends it for $7.95 - with a minimum order of $25. You just can't win.

Yeah... a few sites have that kind of policy (i.e. minimum order of $25, etc.). I wonder how much they lose in sales, as the result vs how much it costs them to process small orders? They must have made a rational determination that they don't make enough money on small orders to maintain the resources to process them - but, I doubt it. It was likely an emotional decision at a moment in time to respond to complaints by staff that they were "overworked."

Jun 30, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #344 of 811
Quote:

Yeah... a few sites have that kind of policy (i.e. minimum order of $25, etc.). I wonder how much they lose in sales, as the result vs how much it costs them to process small orders? They must have made a rational determination that they don't make enough money on small orders to maintain the resources to process them - but, I doubt it. It was likely an emotional decision at a moment in time to respond to complaints by staff that they were "overworked."

Perhaps, but not necessarily. For a small seller, it might take half an hour of someone's time to pick, pack, and ship an order. Unless they can make a gross profit of at least $10 or $15 on an order, it's probably not worth the effort. And some of these companies might be sole proprietorships that don't have staff. That is, the owner is the one filling the orders, possibly on a part time basis while working some other full time job. (I personally know a couple of people who have online businesses of that nature. One has a minimum order amount, the other doesn't.)

Jul 3, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #345 of 811
Just throwing this out there, but after markling my earpads, I have a buttload of polyfil and correct diameter plastic cups left over that I'd be happy to send to anyone in the US or Canada that wants to do this mod, free of charge or shipping costs. No Dynamat, though...you're on your own there, lol. Search for my thread "Denon modders...need some supplies" for more info, or just PM me (sorry, can't link to the thread...I'm on a Crackberry).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back