How To Build One Of The World's Finest Dynamic Headphones (markl Denon AH-D5000 Mods)
May 31, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #586 of 811
TBH...i find the bass on the MD5000 quite normal, No excessive bass whatsoever, only time it rattled was when i played a 50hz tone audio file.

May 31, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #587 of 811
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes I have had stuffed earpads since January but I opened up my Denon's this week for good. Stuffing the earpads was already a big step forward in terms of SQ. I'm not so sure of my D5000's hours but they are at least past 200h.

I used to stuff my earpad too last time but now I don't do it anymore as I much prefer the midrange and upper midrange of the unstuffed pad. It's less grainy, lusher and fuller. The cost? Less coherent soundstage and a bit of Grado-like forwardness/compressed sound. I personally value a more cohesive midrange though so I can live with the pads unstuffed.

The perfect solution IMHO would be angling/distancing the driver WITHOUT the use of fibreloft/cotton/etc. I'm interested on markl's take on this as the original creator of this mod.

May 31, 2009 at 8:36 AM Post #588 of 811
Hi all. i need some advice here. i currently have the stock AHD5000 and i really want to tighten the bloated bass. the problem is, that for certain music genres ,like electronic music and even some bass light rock tunes,i really love the bass as it is (in electrical music, even the overly bloated bass sounds good).
I am afraid that if i would go for the mod, i will lose some of the bass response and impact that i have now.

I know that markl said that the bass stays deep and only tightens up a little, but my logic tells me that something is got to let go. can you tighten the bass without reducing the quantity of it...? or the deepness of it..?
confused_face_2.gif

please advice.

May 31, 2009 at 1:12 PM Post #589 of 811
Just don't go for the complete deep end if you like some of the stock's bass presentation. I suppose you can start with the pad stuffing, dynamat on inner driver and dynamat on the back of the wooden cups and only proceed further if you're still unsatisfied with the sound.

The D2000 and D5000 really need some modding to sound their best so there's no harm in this mod. Fully reversible too.

May 31, 2009 at 1:43 PM Post #590 of 811
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just don't go for the complete deep end if you like some of the stock's bass presentation. I suppose you can start with the pad stuffing, dynamat on inner driver and dynamat on the back of the wooden cups and only proceed further if you're still unsatisfied with the sound.

The D2000 and D5000 really need some modding to sound their best so there's no harm in this mod. Fully reversible too.

thanks. i thought about it and it is a good idea indeed, but the problem is that i don't want to do the mod myself and i won't send it to markle for the half mod either(...or should i ? )
even if i wanted to do the mod i don't have the required meterials here in my country (at least not all of them) so i will have to order from abroad.
a really big mess...

May 31, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #591 of 811
wow isreal? cool

IF ALL 3 MODELS D2000, D5000, D7000 were Modded side by side what would the differences be? I want the best sound for me I dont want to get the D7000 modded and find out the d2000 la mod is better to me? From what I read they all use the same driver right?

May 31, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #592 of 811
^ I can only speak for the modded D2000 and D5000. If you do the mods, use a pair of V4 wood cups, and do a re-cable they sound identical. Thus I say go for the D2000 if you are going all the way, or if not all the way then at least install the D5000 cable on the D2000 and do the MarkL mods and pair of wood cups.

May 31, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #593 of 811
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouRight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks guys, my main question is do the sound diff between the d2000, d5000, d7000 match what I said from what Ive read?

Meaning is the bass the best on D2000 after Marklmod?
If all three were modded side by side would there be differences?
Trying to decide which to mod, money isnt a big deal as I can get either one for close enough price. Thanks
biggrin.gif

The D2000 and D5000 have the identical drivers. The D7000 drivers are slightly different. I've got a pair of D2000s with Lawton Audio (Markl) Sepele wood cups and a D7000 cable. The sound is fantastic. If you're going to get the aftermarket wood cups, not much point in buying the Denon wood to begin with.

May 31, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #594 of 811
Which is the reason why there is no LA5000

May 31, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #596 of 811
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skorpitarius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sorry but it seems ridiculous modding a headphone to make it sound like another headphone ??!!!

so many bass-phobic people ... sheesh ...

IMO the AHD5000 bass is wonderful, but only in electrical music and bass shy rock recordings (just right imo). it's too strong imo with relatively bass heavy rock tunes, can't handle it right and need some tightening.
but the question is: will the denons lose some of their current bass impact and quantity for this tightening?
Anyway...i will let them to burn in some more before i decide if i go for the mod or not. they are over 300 hours by now,but i heard that they need at least 400. although...i always keep thinking that i wait for vain, i don't think they gonna change their behaviour...at least not in the bass region.

Jun 1, 2009 at 7:24 AM Post #597 of 811
Quote:

sorry but it seems ridiculous modding a headphone to make it sound like another headphone ??!!!

Not ridiculous at all. If the sound/feature set you want does not exist on the market the way to go is to tweak something that is initially close until you get where you want to be. Everything in life is tweaking to some extend.

Jun 1, 2009 at 7:36 AM Post #598 of 811
Quote:

If you are referring to the Markl's mod of the Denon to sound like the R10, it's certainly not the case. In fact, the markl modded D7000 sounded nothing like a R10.

Jun 1, 2009 at 9:52 AM Post #599 of 811
I don't think anybody has said it sounds like a R10, but some have said that they find it sounds better than an R10

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #600 of 811
Maybe I should get a LA2000 and a D7000 stock to compare and stuff. Hmm. I want to get the idea of the different bass between plastic wood. The cans I have are HD595, HF-1, and ESW10jpn and I really want some kicking bass like my gaming headsets but harder and really good I guess. Thanks Mrarroyo
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back