How To Build One Of The World's Finest Dynamic Headphones (markl Denon AH-D5000 Mods)
Feb 2, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #496 of 811
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I finished modding the D2000 but I'm not sure whether I like the overall change or not. Since I already like the basic sound signature, I only did the following mods:
1. Stuffing of the pad (the taper mod)
2. Lining the back of the ear cup with dynamat
3. Lining the inner circular driver with dynamat

Overall, the most noticeable change is tightening of the bass and vocals is more forward. I like it but on the other hand, the bass tightens to be so precise that it sounds a little bit taut to me. The sound becomes less relaxed, more to the faster side of things. I assume this tightening effect will be even worse if I line the outer driver with dynamat so this part will stop here.

On the other hand, when I unscrew the cups, I found out that the inner cup of my D2000 was already lined with some sort of polyester material on the circumference and there was a thick plate of grey rubbery stuff at the middle of the cup. Are these even supposed to be there? I ended up taking the polyester out and lined the dynamat on top of the grey plate.

I'll audition it for the time being before deciding what to do next. I suspect that I added too much polyester filling into the earpad but I'm not sure about its co-relation with the taut bass.

EDIT: Removed a bit of polyester from the stuffed earpad. MUCH BETTER sound.

I did the same mods as you.

I have been preferring the very comfortable PK1s lately. I am going to try taking another crack at getting my Denon's based dialed in again soon. Though, I am a little deterred because it may also be my lack of good source and amp that needs fixing first. It is just that I am too concerned with buying more music that I cannot justify spending more on a little better sound quality right now. Plus I am going to Seattle again in a couple months and I need to save funds for the used record stores.

The polyster and rubbery stuff you found inside the cups are supposed to be there. That is stock. I am pretty sure Markl advises not placing any Dynamat on top of the rubbery patch already there, I do not not know his reasoning for this. I was thinking that maybe it would have taken away too much from the volume inside the ear cups behind the drivers...

Feb 3, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #497 of 811
So anyone find out if you're supposed to cover that grey circle of rubbery stuff with dynamat? I wanna know before i start the mod. This is for d2000's btw.

Feb 3, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #498 of 811
Pull out the fabirc strip, and dynamat around the plastic circle not over it.

Feb 3, 2009 at 12:21 PM Post #499 of 811
I got my markl D5000 yesterday
smily_headphones1.gif
. If now they only sounded as good as they look these would have been the best headphone ever.

Feb 3, 2009 at 1:20 PM Post #500 of 811
Quote:

Originally Posted by Philimon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did the same mods as you.

I have been preferring the very comfortable PK1s lately. I am going to try taking another crack at getting my Denon's based dialed in again soon. Though, I am a little deterred because it may also be my lack of good source and amp that needs fixing first. It is just that I am too concerned with buying more music that I cannot justify spending more on a little better sound quality right now. Plus I am going to Seattle again in a couple months and I need to save funds for the used record stores.

The polyster and rubbery stuff you found inside the cups are supposed to be there. That is stock. I am pretty sure Markl advises not placing any Dynamat on top of the rubbery patch already there, I do not not know his reasoning for this. I was thinking that maybe it would have taken away too much from the volume inside the ear cups behind the drivers...

I'm happy to report that I've reached the sound that I'm looking for ie. somewhere between full LA2000 and the stock version. These were the final modifications that I did:

1. Dynamat on inner and outer circular driver.
2. Dynamat on driver assembly except around the little holes
3. Replaced dynamat on earcups with polishing cloth based on Tyson's idea in his LA2000 review thread.
4. The taper mod

I'm very content with the sound right now. The bass is tight enough but not taut like my previous attempt and not as loose and boomy as the stock version. Mids are more forward now and not as recessed as stock. Soundstage is more 3D-like and defined now. Sibilance is still there but the hiss is nowhere as bad as stock where I had to EQ-tweak a lot.

Right now I'm thinking of adding another layer of polishing cloth on the earcups. I suppose this will make the cups denser and even allows better absorption of those high-frequency spikes that contribute to sibilance. Hopefully this will tide me over until I have enough funds to get markl's wooden cups which also has to wait after recabling.

All said and done, I want to say a big THANK YOU to markl for creating this wonderful mod.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 3, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #501 of 811
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got my markl D5000 yesterday
smily_headphones1.gif
. If now they only sounded as good as they look these would have been the best headphone ever.

Sounds like you are disappointed??

Feb 3, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #502 of 811
Almost impossible without the hype... But disappointed is the wrong world. It´s just that the look makes promises the headphones can´t keep
biggrin.gif

I need more time with them they sound good I can tell you that
wink.gif

Feb 3, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #503 of 811
Quote:

Almost impossible without the hype... But disappointed is the wrong world. It´s just that the look makes promises the headphones can´t keep
biggrin.gif

I need more time with them they sound good I can tell you that
wink.gif

I think the real problem is the extensive re-wiring of your Neural Net that the Ultrasones perform. There are numerous Ultrasone owners who have had to have Frontal Lobotomies to excise the Ultrasone Re wired portion of their brains.

The longer you listen to them, the more extensive the re-wiring. Eventually, they are the only phones you will be able to listen to. One of the manifestations of the extent of the rewiring, is not being able to accept any criticism of the S-logic sound. Those individuals become psychotic and need immediate Lobotomies and Electro-Shock therapy. Usually before the Lobotomy can be performed, they must be water-boarded into submission for the procedure. They spend their entire existence searching the Internet for posts that contain the word "Ultrasone" and attack every word in every post that they deem unflattering.

You can often find them in Medical Forums acting up because the word Ultrasound was misspelled. It gets ugly FAST there.

There have been severe cases of family abandonment from the wife just saying the words, "Chromed Plastic", usually after something as innocuous as a reference to a blender. You can identify affected individuals easily by saying the word Plastic softly in their presence. Usually this will elicit a spasmodic twitch around the lips and eyes. Don't say plastic more than twice though, the probability of either seizures or violence is high.

There may be hope for you yet, the mere fact that you are trying to listen to Denons means that there is the "Possibility" that you may not require surgical intervention. It's quite likely you may not even require water boarding.

My prescription? Put those Denon's on your head, crank em up, and leave em there!

Feb 3, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #504 of 811
Well okay....

What I have noticed so far. there is a lot of reverb in these headphones. It colours pretty much everything that is played through them really. And now smartass comment its wood what did you expect please
wink.gif
Especially Enya, Gregorian or other that already have that "hall sound" in them it´s exaggerated a lot.

I guess you can say they sound more analogue than the Ultrasones for example which doesn´t have these ecoes in them. Unless it´s actually there of course. enabling EAX and hall effect I can pretty much exactly copy the D5000 audio on my Ultrasones.

Apart from that I do miss the bass extension. Some low bass is actually not even there. the PRO 900 even have bass you don´t hear but can feel at times. I am sure it´s one thing that makes me more emotionally involved when listening to them. I do pick up the D5000 more often than the 900 trying to get used to them but the 900 always trumphs them.

Otherwise as for comfort they fit really loose. If you just lay back you don´t know they are there at all. However you can´t headbang with them! they move around which is quite annoying.

For non head bangers D5000 definiatly have the edge here, for others they are not a good match for you. PRaT is not really there with them probably because of the reverb and lack of punch in the bass I suspect. Thus they have a more laid back presentation is my conclusion so far.

So well I guess I actually am a bit disappointed I would of course hoped they would be a considerably improvement over the PRO 900 or at least complement it. I just can´t seem to find recordings where I actually preferr the D5000 over the PRO 900 though. that said as mentioned they never sound bad they are indead excellent headphones so you need to take this into context.

So well maybe you are right I am an Ultrasonista for life
wink.gif
. I will probably recable my PRO 900 and maybe do the Kees mod and I am set to life. This was an expensive experience for sure but I think I will have an easier time handling my curiousity about new headphones after this
smily_headphones1.gif

Will give it some more weeks of course. I really want to dig them because they look so great on the headphone hook of my cockpit
wink.gif

Feb 3, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #506 of 811
Quote:

Well okay....

What I have noticed so far. there is a lot of reverb in these headphones. It colours pretty much everything that is played through them really. And now smartass comment its wood what did you expect please
wink.gif
Especially Enya, Gregorian or other that already have that "hall sound" in them it´s exaggerated a lot.

I guess you can say they sound more analogue than the Ultrasones for example which doesn´t have these ecoes in them. Unless it´s actually there of course. enabling EAX and hall effect I can pretty much exactly copy the D5000 audio on my Ultrasones.

Apart from that I do miss the bass extension. Some low bass is actually not even there. the PRO 900 even have bass you don´t hear but can feel at times. I am sure it´s one thing that makes me more emotionally involved when listening to them. I do pick up the D5000 more often than the 900 trying to get used to them but the 900 always trumphs them.

Otherwise as for comfort they fit really loose. If you just lay back you don´t know they are there at all. However you can´t headbang with them! they move around which is quite annoying.

For non head bangers D5000 definiatly have the edge here, for others they are not a good match for you. PRaT is not really there with them probably because of the reverb and lack of punch in the bass I suspect. Thus they have a more laid back presentation is my conclusion so far.

So well I guess I actually am a bit disappointed I would of course hoped they would be a considerably improvement over the PRO 900 or at least complement it. I just can´t seem to find recordings where I actually preferr the D5000 over the PRO 900 though. that said as mentioned they never sound bad they are indead excellent headphones so you need to take this into context.

wink.gif
. I will probably recable my PRO 900 and maybe do the Kees mod and I am set to life. This was an expensive experience for sure but I think I will have an easier time handling my curiousity about new headphones after this
smily_headphones1.gif

Will give it some more weeks of course. I really want to dig them because they look so great on the headphone hook of my cockpit
wink.gif

I have often said that Jenna Labs cables does the echo thing, do you have that on your headphones?

Feb 3, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #507 of 811
Quote:

Well okay....

<<<<SNIP SNIP>>>>>>>

wink.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

wink.gif

Ok, I was wrong, you do need the Water Boarding and the Full Frontal Lobotomy!!

Feb 4, 2009 at 6:59 AM Post #508 of 811
Yes it does have the jena cables.

Feb 4, 2009 at 7:53 AM Post #509 of 811
Try the mod I mentioned in the d5000 and LA2000 comparison thread I started a couple weeks ago.

Feb 4, 2009 at 9:39 AM Post #510 of 811
thanks but just put them up for sale. I can´t afford running two rigs so I am going all in on one instead
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back