How To Build One Of The World's Finest Dynamic Headphones (markl Denon AH-D5000 Mods)
Apr 23, 2009 at 12:16 PM Post #526 of 811
yes
biggrin.gif
, im having trouble with the damn shipping of my T4's, they are supposed to be here, but they dont exist in the post office ;_;

my D5000's will be here within 2-3 weeks.

Apr 24, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #527 of 811
Mark emailed yesterday saying my D5000 arrived safely.

Mods are probably happening soon. Maybe I'll have them by end of next week.

I will do the post-mod burn in and see if it addresses the high highs I reported in this post. I will report back.

If not, maybe a hybrid amp (Millet MiniMax?) is in my future.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 1, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #528 of 811
mine shipped yesterday night
biggrin.gif
, i cant wait.

May 2, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #529 of 811
My MD-5000 arrived today. The earpads are PUFFY! And the headphones are quite a bit heavier than I remember. It is now noticeably heavier than the HD-650.

On my large and tall head, the modded fit is actually better. There is a little more pressure from the top band (I'll probably rotate the pads so the bar sits further back on my head to ease this). However, the puffier pads moves the internals of the cups further out from my ear (duh), which eliminates a pressure point I was having where my left ear would touch the inside pad/housing and ache after awhile.

I'm trying to get some burn-in time, but I can't help sneak a few listens.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 2, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #530 of 811
Hi mchang,
The first half dozen or so times you wear the MD5000, press down firmly (but not super hard), on the outside of the ear cups, compressing the pads flat against your head. This will achieve 2 things: speed up the process of compacting the pads to their final shape, and give you a more custom form fit that conforms to the contours of your head. Enjoy!

May 3, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #531 of 811
And deffinately get some burnin to them before judging how they sound. The initial impression of my LA2000 was the greatest dissapointment I have ever had with headphones, they just sounded like rubbish. After the first 20 hours of burnin with the IsoTek burnin cd however it was a completely different story and they have just kept improving since them to become absolutely great.

May 4, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #533 of 811
Mine arrived today, and they said they tried to deliver it at 1:47, complete bull because i was home all day.

gonna have to pick it up at the post office ._.

May 5, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #534 of 811
I think I am THIS close to doing the blackjack dealer clap, wave and walk away.

The markl-modded D5000 and my Gilmore Lite + DPS have been unbelievable. I'm sure there is better to be found on the journey toward audio bliss, but I think I can get off the train here.

Thanks to everyone for getting me to this point.

-michael

May 5, 2009 at 8:06 AM Post #535 of 811
Just got mine, everything's perfect, feels brand new (well it is ;P, but its been violated :O lol) comfort is fantastic, and you guys weren't kidding when you said these things need burn in, the high's are piercing atm :F.

May 5, 2009 at 9:47 AM Post #536 of 811
They sound so tinny, how long is the burn in period?

May 5, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #537 of 811
@Adamora, I'm sorry that I don't remember whether your D5000 were brand new when Mark modded them...

But I found some differences in the stock phones when I sneaked a listen here and there in between burning in. Some claim that the effects were very dramatic -- anywhere from 1 hour to 400 hours. To my ears, the changes were subtle. Ultimately I couldn't bear the piercing highs of the stock Denons. Hence the markl mods. I think I had about 200+ hours before sending them off.

Upon receiving the modded D5000, I immediately noted the lack of piercing highs. However, everything seemed a little lifeless. Undaunted, I ran about 8 hours of pink noise through them and sneaked another listen. MUCH BETTER!

I'm probably at 60+ hours right now, and I can't believe how great they sound. No high highs, the mids are lush and the bass is significantly reigned in. I suspect some people may dislike the bass change, but I find it very nice and definitely authoritative with bass-heavy tracks. To quote Radiohead: "Everything in its right place."

As for your tinniness, I would suggest running some pink noise or tunes for a day or two or more.

And for the piercing highs, if the burn in doesn't tame it, I would look at your source and amp. As mentioned, I noticed the highs right off the bat with the stock phones, but not at all with the modded ones. And my Gilmore Lite is known for a slight tilt to highs, so it would have been noticeable immediately. Unfortunately I am not familiar with the iBasso, but I did listen for an hour or so from my iPhone > LOD > Pico, and did not get hit with high highs.

As much as I am not a burn-in voodoo champion, I would suggest you give the D5000 a bit of time. If after a few days (or longer) they don't work for you, see if you can try a different amp and/or source, or maybe the D5000 (modded or not) are not for you.

Whatever happens, good luck!

May 5, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #538 of 811
Alrighty, im going to miss listening to music though, right now the highs are less harsh, but still hurt at times, and songs feel lifeless and distant, ill keep playing music on it once i go to school and when im not at home, guess 6 hours burn in isnt going to do much for me.

Ps: im listening through my X-fi coupled with the T4.

Oh and thanks for the input
biggrin.gif

Update: i made a pillow Fort to muffle the sound so i dont go crazy from the constant music.

May 5, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #539 of 811
Quote:

Originally Posted by mchang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure there is better to be found on the journey toward audio bliss, but I think I can get off the train here.

You can always get back on when Upgraditis strikes again (it always does).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back