How To Build One Of The World's Finest Dynamic Headphones (markl Denon AH-D5000 Mods)
Jan 6, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #453 of 811
I done the partial 3 steps mod.
I find it the high is more now until a bit harsh. Is that I scew up the mod or need burn in to smooth out?

Before mod already have 100+hr burn in.

Bass is more controlled now, lower mid more, wider sound.

I managed to preserve all the letters in cup using masking tape.

Jan 8, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #454 of 811
Hi Markl,

I not sure if I describe correctly, I realize the high tone, maybe considers as sibilant, Is this normal due to lack of burn in?

My can now already over 150+ hr and after mod about 24hr.

Jan 8, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #455 of 811
As some of you may know I own the Denon AH-D5000 and I love them. Well I sent them to MarkL to have him implement his mods. Concurrently I purchased a set of new Australian Bubinga cups. Not only do I love the sound even more but its looks as well. Speaking of looks I will make a suggestion to MarkL that better final buffing would benefit the cups for a better shine.

I have been using them for the last four hours and the level of detail and clarity is so much better than I remember. The soundstage is way wider and deeper, instrument placement is to the point I feel I can reach out and touch the musician. Anyways here are some pics for your viewing pleasure.

dscn0549withBubingaCups3Pic1.jpg

DSCN0550withBubingaCupsPic2.jpg

DSCN0551withBubingaCupsPic3.jpg

Jan 8, 2009 at 6:46 AM Post #456 of 811
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As some of you may know I own the Denon AH-D5000 and I love them. Well I sent them to MarkL to have him implement his mods. Concurrently I purchased a set of new Australian Bubinga cups. Not only do I love the sound even more but its looks as well. Speaking of looks I will make a suggestion to MarkL that better final buffing would benefit the cups for a better shine.

I have been using them for the last four hours and the level of detail and clarity is so much better than I remember. The soundstage is way wider and deeper, instrument placement is to the point I feel I can reach out and touch the musician. Anyways here are some pics for your viewing pleasure.

dscn0549withBubingaCups3Pic1.jpg

DSCN0550withBubingaCupsPic2.jpg

DSCN0551withBubingaCupsPic3.jpg

SWWWEEEEEETT!!

Jan 8, 2009 at 11:11 AM Post #457 of 811
mrarroyo;5256581 said:

I have an LA2000 w/ Bubinga cups that I will get delivered the next days. As such I would be interested on more impressions on how they sound or rather changed the sound - compared to the stock D5k cups e.g.

Thanks!

Jan 8, 2009 at 2:50 PM Post #458 of 811
mrarroyo :

Mark should put PIX up like these on his site. It is hard looking at a pic of a cup how the phone will look. These look pretty nice. I guess the cup didn't do anything BAD to the sound?

Jan 8, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #459 of 811
Hi les_garten,
I've been so busy with orders I haven't had the chance to add to the site, but lots of pics of finished phones cane be found throughout our sponsored thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f38/in...s-more-376339/

ztsen,
Did you put the stuffing/fiberloft in the cups? If so, take it out, we don't recommend that anymore. That may account for what you are hearing. Without seeing what's been done to the phone in person, I can't really comment on if it was done correctly or not. (However, stuffing the pads is still mandatory part of the mod.).

Jan 8, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #460 of 811
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi les_garten,
I've been so busy with orders I haven't had the chance to add to the site, but lots of pics of finished phones cane be found throughout our sponsored thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f38/in...s-more-376339/

ztsen,
Did you put the stuffing/fiberloft in the cups? If so, take it out, we don't recommend that anymore. That may account for what you are hearing. Without seeing what's been done to the phone in person, I can't really comment on if it was done correctly or not. (However, stuffing the pads is still mandatory part of the mod.).

Hi Makl,
I did exactly the 3 steps only, dynamat on cup+the circle with hole and stuff the ear pad. I pressed very hard and make sure no air remain for the dynamat in cup. Now I can hear detail and fabby bass is gone but the sibilant appears. Do you have name for the partial mod? can't call is MD5000 rite since is not full mod?
biggrin.gif

Jan 8, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #461 of 811
Quote:

Hi les_garten,

ztsen,

Hi Mark,
I am not sub'd to that thread so had not seen it recently. I would put those PIX up on your site. The shots of the phones with the cups are sure to sell cups. The cup pix lined up and laying on a table don't do anything for me. These pix look Hella Good though!

Jan 8, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #463 of 811
Quote:

Les, we can't keep them in stock as it is.
wink.gif

In this economy, that ain't a bad problem to have!

Jan 8, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #464 of 811
I've read threads about some of these mods being applicable to the D1001, but I'd like some more opinions on it. The d1001 cups seem to be complete different from d2000/d5000, so I always wonder which of these mods are actually compatible between them

Jan 8, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #465 of 811
My D2000 are almost an LA2000, but with APS V2 cable installed summer 2007 instead of jenna Labs, and with the stuffed earpads and wood cups but no dampening on the driver frame. I call them an LAPS2000

I continue to be amazed at how much I like them, just about as much as my Edition 9 with APS V3 cable. I used to think running them balanced was the trick to make them sound their best, but I am borrowing a Gilmore Reference that runs single ended and makes the LAPS2000 sound 99% as good as balanced through my Single Power. These really do respond well to a top notch source and amp. (using 4-pin XLR with balanced and single ended adapter)

If I had to get rid of all my dynamic headphones, the LAPS2000 and Edition 9 would be the only two I could not bear to sell, followed by my ESW10JPN and HD600 balanced. (maybe the HD800 will join the club, while the O2 Mk2 and HE60 are the only 2 stats I could not part with).

Seriously though, my modded D2000 could be my only headphone if I couldn't afford anything else, but thankfully I can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back