How obvious is it that you are a Head-Fier?
Apr 22, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #31 of 90
I get stared at all the time, but that's because I stand out as an Australian in a country with mostly one race of people. Since, to the locals, everything foreigners do is fascinating or weird, that I might spend crazy amounts on a pair headphones is, well, maybe just another thing in the same basket. I suppose it's obvious though if someone visits and sees the rack of gear and half-a-dozen pairs of headphones hanging or sitting about.

Apr 22, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #32 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by choka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No man, I am happy people don't know how much my stuff are! I don't want to get mugged!

I don't like Bose because I've tried them and I hate them.

I don't hate mine. I wear my QC15 every which way on the MBTA on all hours of the day and night and I've never even remotely been afraid of getting mugged.

Apr 22, 2010 at 1:12 PM Post #33 of 90
It's not at all obvious when i'm out and about, after all, etymotics are small and I don't use an amp. The number of people who've asked me why my amp/dac don't have the lids on and my soldering iron is sitting on top of them though! That's where it's kind of obvious you couldn't buy my hifi at curry's.

Apr 22, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #34 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Injury /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You look like Mike Myers.

I get that a lot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
People shouldn't wear hats and scarfs indoors.

We were getting up to leave and my friend made us sit back down so he could take a few more pictures.

Apr 22, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #35 of 90
I don't wear headphones in public, so it's not obvious.

Apr 22, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #36 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by trevorlane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't hate mine. I wear my QC15 every which way on the MBTA on all hours of the day and night and I've never even remotely been afraid of getting mugged.

It is pretty obvious everyone prefers a different kind of sound. I have given Bose multiple chances and every single time they failed me.

And then, the Bose people will tell me that I don't know what is music.

Apr 22, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #37 of 90
On the street you wouldnt know but at work (in my cube) it's obvious I've got the audio-bug since I hook my portable up to the work computer so I can save some 9V power for later. People always walk by and ask, "what's all that stuff?" and the other normal questions. I'm much more low key since ditching the 225is at home for the ue tf10s at work...my cubicle neighbors are much happier too I think haha

Apr 22, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #38 of 90
This thread reminds me of these videos:

YouTube - neilpeart k1000 video 2
YouTube - neilpeart k1000 video

I have yet to invest in a worthy pair of portable ear buds and have never been questioned about my MX560s. I was going to pull the trigger on Yuins, but if anything, that would only help to hide it more. I never did think about it too much, but I was never questioned by anyone about my home set of headphones except my brother... Who didn't even want to listen to them, but just try them all on.

There was a kid who walked into my store one time with a pair of AKG K240s (gold) but considering that his clothes matched the headphones, I was a little disheartened.

Apr 22, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #39 of 90
Racer 24...I am waiting for the iBasso D4.

What can you tell me about the amp? Are you using the DAC portion of it as well?

How much difference are you seeing with it and does it pair well with the UE Triple.fi 10's sound sig? I still haven't figured out the iem's that I want yet.

Are you lacking anything in the sound or have too much of anything?

Apr 22, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #40 of 90
I wear my RE0 when I go shopping so no-one notices much. Every once in a while when I have to be at the hospital, knowing I'll ne there for a little while, I'll bring the iBasso amp to get better sound. I've had people look at that strapped to my iPod, but no-one ever asked. I wore the Denon once when shopping and didn't get that much in the way of looks.

Apr 22, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #41 of 90
If I was to wear maybe some bright blue skullcrushers in public... then maybe people would consider me an audiophile since the general public believes skullcandy = NICE. If I was to wear actual good quality stuff... nah.

Apr 22, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #42 of 90
I need to keeep my hair short or else I end with a flattened band over my head and around my ears.

When people come to the house thye see a rack of headphones and since I use a laptop as source they dont know whether to ask, why so many or where is your CD player?

Apr 22, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #43 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ypoknons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That does sound killer. That's the thing with the triple.fi's, the little blue antennae are too shiny and blue to match with anything unless the rest of your outfit is reeeeeeally crazy. Or your hair is.
icon10.gif

lol the triple.fi's I usually save for the nighttime, when most people can't see much in the darkness.
tongue.gif

Apr 22, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #44 of 90
If i had the money i'd make it obvious.

Maybe some HD800's as earmuffs in the winter.

Apr 22, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #45 of 90
It's pretty obvious when I'm at work because people who come into my office stare at the iPod on my desk with the elastic band around it holding another strange device with extra cables coming from it!

Some ask what it is, other just wander off wondering.

At home it's obvious because the wife is always saying 'a package arrived for you today' and (the dreaded) 'How much did THEY cost?'

It obvious from my car (I know.... I know... car-fi is not true audiophile etc etc) but that doesn't stop me permanently keeping a nano hooked up to a Harman Kardon Plug and Drive unit

aca8_1_b.JPG

Just so that I have 2K songs at my finger tips while driving to work.

Also, I find myself gawping at other people headphones, especially at work, everyone wears them at their desk, so I'm always checking out who has what.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back