How many headphones are too many?
Dec 4, 2013 at 3:07 AM Post #16 of 155
i myself own , more then 70 headphones/earphones .

Dec 4, 2013 at 4:46 AM Post #19 of 155
I think I have too many because I don't feel like I can use them all properly. I know I should sell 1 or 2 but its so hard to bring myself to do it

Dec 4, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #23 of 155
3 is already "too much" for normal people.

3??? You mean 1 right, my family always are like why do you need so many pair of headphones! For me, too much is when you have headphones laying around that don't ever get used. That's me right now, I recognized a month ago that I had 3 or 4 pair of lower end headphones I've bought on sale over the last few years that I never wear now that I'm solidly in midfi.

In response to that realization I have also come up with a criteria for my own ownership of headphones going forward, mainly so I can justify them to my fiancee, family and friends. Please note I am not a true hifi guy and won't be for a while for financial reasons so my following rules are from a midfi perspective. Here it goes (in bold are the headphones that fulfill the role):

1 pair of Over the Head HPs for home use HE300
2 pairs of quality IEMs for on the go use (2 in case one breaks I have another) RE-262 and BA200
1 pair of bass heavy IEMs (for random urges of EDM) NOTE: Not yet owned
1 pair of on ear portables (for when I don't want to wear IEMs out and about) Portapros

Thus for me, I don't think I can ever justify owning more than 5 pair of headphones at any one time.

Dec 4, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #24 of 155
You own quite a lot of headphones but honestly none of them pique my interest! You have a lot of low/mid end stuff, But no real high end stuff. I'd rather spend 2000 on 5 high end headphones than on 80 low end. Just saying...

i consider xba-3 and er-4p to be high end , i agree , im a mid range/low end headphone guy . to me , these mid/low range phones are more interesting and sadly most of the high end phones are not available here in india . and there are a few midrange phones like ue600 and she9850 that can take on a few high end phones .
    sadly , availability and heft asking price affects my purchase .

Dec 4, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #25 of 155

i consider xba-3 and er-4p to be high end , i agree , im a mid range/low end headphone guy . to me , these mid/low range phones are more interesting and sadly most of the high end phones are not available here in india . and there are a few midrange phones like ue600 and she9850 that can take on a few high end phones .
    sadly , availability and heft asking price affects my purchase .

Sell off the stuff and just order nicer things from here... xba-3 isn't high end at all.

Dec 4, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #26 of 155
I now own 2 headphones a semi open Grado and Darth beyers I also own 2 sources usb Dac and sacd player and 2 amps 1 SS and 1 tube. 1 better dac and amp and a fully open headphone i will be done.

Dec 4, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #27 of 155
  Too much? = 1 more than your significant other will allow.

Haha...best answer so far!

I'm not at that point yet...but she is getting pissy lately. 

Dec 4, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #28 of 155
The number in my sig is too many. I just can't bring myself to part with some of them.

Dec 4, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #29 of 155
  I now own 2 headphones a semi open Grado and Darth beyers I also own 2 sources usb Dac and sacd player and 2 amps 1 SS and 1 tube. 1 better dac and amp and a fully open headphone i will be done.

No one is ever done here :wink:. We always want more!

Dec 4, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #30 of 155
  No one is ever done here :wink:. We always want more!

Nope once i get my Mjolnir and Gungnir and whatever open headphone I decide, I will be done with my headphone rack. And then i will build a small Turntable/Speaker rack and then be done with audio for a long time. Set goals and limits and you can be done if you want to be :wink: 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back