How many headphones are too many?
Dec 1, 2013 at 2:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 155

TsukiNick

500+ Head-Fier
How many headphones does it take to make a collection excessive.  Just wanted some opinions from some fellow head-fiers.

Dec 1, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #3 of 155
  Anymore than one portable and one home headphone is excessive for me.

+1

I have some cheap IEMs that I take to the gym and on trips out of town, with no special portable gear. At home, it's one headphone, one amp, one DAC. I don't believe in having multiple sonic presentations available to me -- I'd rather just get used to a single one, and try to make it a good one at that. 

Dec 1, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #4 of 155

I think that's minimal, not excessive. Maybe it's not even minimal: 1 open, 1 closed, 1 IEM. For me, four is minimal because I want both a neutral open and Grados. As to excessive, I always end up thinking that 8 is excessive. I almost excessive by my own standard, and I don't remember how that happened.

Dec 1, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #5 of 155

I think that's minimal, not excessive. Maybe it's not even minimal: 1 open, 1 closed, 1 IEM. For me, four is minimal because I want both a neutral open and Grados. As to excessive, I always end up thinking that 8 is excessive.

+1
My ideal setup is one open, one close, one IEM for gym and sports, and one CIEM for travel + my D2000s which were my first pair of headphones. Anything more than 4 sets of full cans and 2 IEMs would be excessive for me.

Dec 1, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #6 of 155
  + my D2000s which were my first pair of headphones

I've got to use that exemption! Thanks! Henceforth, I'm not counting my K501. (Do I really have to count KSC75 if it's not headband modded?)

Dec 1, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #8 of 155
Here is my formula, and it is important that all of us who must negotiate with spouses stick together and insist that this is "standard, and reasonable" : ) 

2 choices for travel
2 choices for office
2 choices for home for music for open listening
2 choices for home for music for closed listening
2 choices for home for music analysis (recording, mixing, production, gear reviews, etc… ATH-M50, Focal Spirit Pro, Sony MDR-7520, etc…)
2 choices for home for movies/media (like an HD-650 or a nice wireless set)
2 choices for comfort and/or sentimental value (like an ATH-M50 or Grado, this makes it a "hobby")
1 choice reserved for "end game" attempt (like an HD-800, or PM-1, or K812 Pro, or Audeze or whatever…)
1 choice reserved for "grounded bench mark" (like an HD-600)

I think there is a good argument to be made for having up to 16 headphones, but only if all of those categories above are relevant to your lifestyle.  You have to have 2 choices for each of the more common situations/environments to account for fatigue or over heating or just a general change of mood.

I am not serious about every single category above, so I negotiated for a target total of 8 headphones… purchase # 9 must be preceded by a sale so I never have more than 8 between home and office at any one time.  I feel pretty lucky to have the green light for that type of collection even though it will take me another year or two to save up for the purchases to hit that number.  I was at 6 a little while ago but now down to 2 as I look to rebuild my team.  So remember, 16 is perfectly normal and anything less shows amazing restraint and consideration….

Dec 1, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #9 of 155
I see guys on here with multiple top tier headphones, and while I could afford to do that I choose not to, I think 2 top tier headphones, and a set of customs seems reasonable.  It's subjective I guess, but when I had 3 top tier headphones at once and 2 customs I felt like it was too much.  2 top tier headphones maybe one open one closed or one fun like D7000 and LCD2.  That's not counting budget phones, I work out with my Koss KSC75 sometimes, and I'd never take my D7000s out unless it was to a meet.  I use the TF10 for working out and general out and about.

Dec 2, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #10 of 155
Here is my formula, and it is important that all of us who must negotiate with spouses stick together and insist that this is "standard, and reasonable" : ) 

2 choices for travel
2 choices for office
2 choices for home for music for open listening
2 choices for home for music for closed listening
2 choices for home for music analysis (recording, mixing, production, gear reviews, etc… ATH-M50, Focal Spirit Pro, Sony MDR-7520, etc…)
2 choices for home for movies/media (like an HD-650 or a nice wireless set)
2 choices for comfort and/or sentimental value (like an ATH-M50 or Grado, this makes it a "hobby")
1 choice reserved for "end game" attempt (like an HD-800, or PM-1, or K812 Pro, or Audeze or whatever…)
1 choice reserved for "grounded bench mark" (like an HD-600)

I think there is a good argument to be made for having up to 16 headphones, but only if all of those categories above are relevant to your lifestyle.  You have to have 2 choices for each of the more common situations/environments to account for fatigue or over heating or just a general change of mood.

I am not serious about every single category above, so I negotiated for a target total of 8 headphones… purchase # 9 must be preceded by a sale so I never have more than 8 between home and office at any one time.  I feel pretty lucky to have the green light for that type of collection even though it will take me another year or two to save up for the purchases to hit that number.  I was at 6 a little while ago but now down to 2 as I look to rebuild my team.  So remember, 16 is perfectly normal and anything less shows amazing restraint and consideration….

I like your categories.

I have no "wife acceptance factor" to adjust to, therefore I buy as many as I wish to buy.

Currently that's 17 pairs and the plan is to purchase 2 or 4 per month for the foreseeable future.

Full disclosure:

I am beginning at the very lowest price point and working up. I am currently buying $60 hps. Many of mine are extremely poor quality as I experimented with 8 or so unknown ChiFi brands.

I don't listen to music often when traveling and don't travel often, so I have 3 IEM's for that only and that's enough. I tend to purchase bang for buck IEMS, only.
No on-ear for exercise or such.
Perhaps curiosity will force the acquisition of the HE400's and SM 30's, but other than that it's all over the ear.

This month the buy is:
Takstar 2050
JVC HA-S500 or S400
Beyerdynamic DT235 or Koss PortaPro
Sennheiser HD428 or PX-90/100/200
Koss Pro DJ-100

...and maybe the SuperLux 681 Classic and Sony V6's that are disappearing...

To burn in so many at once I have an Edifier HA11 SS amp wtih 3 X 3.5mm male to females in an array that allows burn in of 4 pairs at a time. I keep the volume low and the amp on a fused line in case it over heats. Not recommended ohm loading, do not try at home.

Dec 2, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #11 of 155
My answer to this question is as much, as you wanted! I squally buy headphones to compliment my current headphone(s). Otherwise, you can go for 1 CIEM, 1 IEM, 1 Earbuds, 1 Open on-ear, 1 closed on ear, 1 semi-closed on ear, 1 closed over ear, 1 open over ear, 1 semi-closed over ear. :D

As for amping, 1 desktop SS amp, 1 portable SS amp, 1 desktop tube amp, 1 portable tube amp. 1 portable DAC, 1 desktop DAC, 1 hybrid, 1 IEM amp :p

If you don't have ALL those mentioned above, I guess that's one of the reason why you are here xD

Dec 2, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #13 of 155
At home I'm mostly fine with one headphone. I think I may eventually end up with a good sealed headphone to compliment my Q701 for the months when I have to use my window air conditioner. I have a couple of IEM's, but I honestly can't stand to use IEM's anymore. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back