How Many Backup IEM's do you guys have that you use regularly?
Jan 1, 2011 at 3:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

KimChee

Headphoneus Supremus
I like having a stock of headphones I can use for the times i want music, but don't want to ruin my good sets (ie Marshmellows for working out, or cutting the grass, KSC75 for over the head duty), but more often than not I find that I am using my backups, while other sets of headphones go unused.  Also I find that whenever I am using a backup set, I am really missing the SQ of my main good set.  I even got a backup set of Triple Fi's, but in the last week my set with Enyo Cable has sat in its nice metal UE container.  Im thinking about getting something cheaper for out, so in case it gets messed up I won't care too much.   I can understand wanting to use certain phones with certain types of music, or due to sleeping,etc but how many sets of IEMs or headphones do you have, what occasions do you use specific IEMs/headsets, and how many do you use on a regular basis?

Workout/Cut Grass-JVC Marshmellows, Koss KSC75
Home listening-TF 10 Enyo cable
out and about TF10 backup

Jan 2, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #2 of 15
I have TF10s in my bedside unit. I do not use these nearly as often as my RE0s and my M6s. Mostly because I tend to listen to music on the go. What I really miss on the go is my amp. I havr a portable that I got sick of lugging around, so I upgraded the opamp and pieced together a decent unit that I do not listen too enough.

Jan 2, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #3 of 15
RE-252/262 for home/serious listening with J3 FLAC

RE-ZERO for outdoor listening with Clip+ 320 kbps MP3

Jan 2, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #4 of 15
Use to have quite a few. And then i had a habit of losing stuff so now im trying to find a new set
frown.gif

For what its worth my old stuff
CK10 - Lost
Re0 - loaned out to a buddy
Marshmallows - Lost
MX580 - Well these arent really IEMs but one of the earphones that i dont have fit/sound issues with

Jan 2, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #5 of 15
You LOST your CK10s? Thats insane.

Anyways,

Home: DBA-02 with S9 and E5

On the go: MX580s with S9 and Clip+ for working out.

Jan 2, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #6 of 15
I use all my iem's regularly in turn for anything from a week to a month as my main iem;s and when i am out and about i usually have the ie7 with me as a back up.

at the present eq7 is my main outside phone
and the monster gold for inside use 

Jan 2, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #7 of 15
I keep a Meelec M2 and a Creative EP630 in my car. I enjoy the heck out of the M2 and I think I may even prefer it over the M9. I use the Marshmallow when mowing. I often listen to Bass Freqs when falling asleep due to the ability to have full deep bass at very low levels and the very small physical footprint in my ear. If walking around in a store or at lunch I use a Bose IE so I can still hear.

Jan 2, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #8 of 15
I use a MEElectronics M9 and UE SF4 as mowing/backups. Getting a Brainwavz M1 as another backup, and I might be keeping the M3s I ordered as nice backups.

Jan 2, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #9 of 15
This is what I use

Everyday use: Monster Turbines

Back ups: Standard Triple.Fi 10, Super.fi 5 pros, Meelec M6P

Main Set (Metal/Alternative music): Triple.Fi 10 with Lune Cables

Main Set (Classical/Jazz): SE535s

Main Set (Soon to be): TF18s

Jan 2, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #10 of 15
This thread got me thinking, I use my backup headphones (Meelec M9 and M6) more than my main ones.

Everyday music use: M9 inside, M6 outside
Podcasts / other audio Audio Techninca T44
Rock music at night: MS1
Pop music / jazz at night: Senn HD428

In that order. My MS1s and 428s do not get much time at all - though they do sound superior in everyway.

I hardly ever use my Klipsch S4 or my PL50 which I bought for listening to music with. I prefer the M9 to the S4 ans I still like bass too much to use the PL50 very often. I may put my S4 and new PL50 up for sale. I also use them straight from my ipod touch more than from my Zune HD or Zune 80 which both have amps attached (PA2Vs and E7) because the Cirrus Logic powered 2nd Gen touch sounds better to my ears than my Wolfson Chipped Zunes - even with amps.  All IMHO ofcourse - everyones ears and perceptions are different. Plus I have 3 headphones comming in the mail! Crazy.

Jan 2, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #11 of 15
I used to have a lot more earphones so it's not as bad as it used to be in the past. I currently have my Livewire Trips as my main pair. I have two universals in the Brainwavz M2 and Nuforce NE-700X which I guess can be called my "backups". I also purchased a dap bundle which will include the Brainwavz M1 and Brainwavz Pro Alpha which I'm thinking about keeping so I'll probably have those as well as backups to my universal earphones.

As for use my Livewires get used every day on my commute and transportable rig. My Fischer Audio FA-003 headphones are used at home and when I find the need for universals I use them but they don't get used nearly as much as my customs or headphones.

Jan 3, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #13 of 15
Main: Panasonic HJE900
Backup: Meelec M6, Vmoda Vibe Duos
Unused: UE Triple.Fi 10

In case people were wondering why I dont use the TF10's, they were impulse buys during the $100 sale. Since I was happy with the Pana's I thought I'd either check them out when the panas break or sell them later.

Jan 3, 2011 at 2:00 AM Post #14 of 15
Main: Sennheiser IE8, Etymotic hf5
Backup: Ultimate Ears 700, Sound Magic PL30
Unused: Sennheiser CX 300, Klipsch Image X10, Klipsch Custom 1.

My list might change over time, because I don't like to listen to the same sound all the time, and  I haven't found an IEM that has the perfect sound for me.

Jan 3, 2011 at 9:21 AM Post #15 of 15
Main...Grado GR10 stock tips. Best I've had and very even sounding but still snappy.

Backups... Brainwaves M1, surprising how 'right these are for the price but a little bass shy as is. Use doubles on these.
..ADDIEMs. Modded for better bass, mids in line but sacrificed a little top for better balance. Using trimmed genuine Hybrids here.

I've owned Phonaks, TF10s, Se530s, PL50s, SF3s, Im590s, tweaked TD100s, M6s. Still had the last 3 until I gave them away to my niece and nephews as extra stocking stuffers. Think they liked them more than their real gifts.
bigsmile_face.gif

Of what I let go, I felt the SE530s the best of the discarded overall but am happier with my current line up. My least favorite were the M6s. Not awful but too much boom, tinkle for me. My niece that plays college sports loves them as she needed a secure fit and isolation for workouts and they aren't going anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back