How is the Audio-GD C2 amp?
Oct 4, 2010 at 7:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 67

runswithaliens

100+ Head-Fier
After searching the forums I'm not really seeing that much about this amp. Yes there is the big "
Review of the Audio-gd DAC-19 DSP & C2 amp - The ACSS connection" thread, but that seems to mostly focus on the ACSS connection and wonders of the DAC-19 DSP.

So I am hoping some of the C2 owners will tell us a bit about their experience with this amp. What they like and don't like; Is it able to drive all of your headphones; is it a good preamp and etc. 

Oct 4, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #2 of 67
Nice amp, ample power,never exceeded the 10 o'clock mark with a single headphone.

Very detailed performs at peak with the DAC 19 DSP.

Oct 4, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #3 of 67
I have one, the size of the C2 is a little large but its fine for where I have it set up.  I don't really dislike anything about it, it drives all of my headphones well, and the pre-out from it is just fine for my uses.  I also use it with the DAC-19 DSP though, and the combination of the two is absolutely great.  It was good with anything else I fed through it, but it truly is best as that combination.  One of the reasons for that is that the C2 is meant to go with an Audio-GD DAC, and the two pair quite well.

I can't think of anything that I want a $350 headphone amplifier to do that it can't, or anything that it does poorly.  Maybe I could do better, but I am very pleased with it.

Oct 4, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #4 of 67
I like the C2 a great deal and believe it to be a bargain. The DAC19/C2 combination via ACSS is fast, resolving and neutral with the very slightest touch of warmth. I've used it with satisfaction with T1s, HD650s and DT880/660s, among others.

Oct 5, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #5 of 67
That is good to hear that it is able to drive the high impedance headphones. "resolving and neutral with the very slightest touch of warmth" also sound like just the thing needed.

A few more questions come to mind about this amp. Does the bass reach down deep and stay tight? And on the other end of the spectrum is there any harshness to the treble?

When the preamp switch is used to defeat the preamp outs are they fully quite or still some sound coming out?

How is the volume control? I have heard about some amps with the volume control having mismatched volume levels at the lower end of the dial and since I tend to listen at lower volumes I wouldn't want that.

Oh and when using the RCA inputs I understand you can add for example the Earth or Moon OPAs and I think somebody else said you could roll other opamps into it as well?

Anyone out there using this without the ACSS? The Audio-GD DACs do look nice but I am also sorely tempted by the Eastern Electric DAC with the little tube in it(!) and/or the Meier StageDAC with all the fine adjustments and crossfeed(!).
regular_smile .gif

Oct 5, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #6 of 67
The bass appears to go as deep as your headphones will play back, and it doesn't have problems with power/control at that level.  Treble isn't harsh, the entire amp just seems quite neutral.

As for the pre-amp outputs, they are not 100% muted, but its something like 80db of muting.  So if you have your headphones collapsing your skull and your speaker amp on you will get some noise from the speakers.  You will be deaf, but you could measure it.

The volume control is as linear as a normal ALPS pot, if you like your music really quiet or have extremely sensitive headphones and are forced to use the high gain mode you might have imbalance.  If you are using RCA instead of ACSS you can leave it at low gain mode though and avoid or minimize that possible problem.

The default for the C2 is the OPA607 iirc, and you can use just about any other opamp you fancy.

The RCA input works, if you don't want an Audio-GD DAC with ACSS outputs you don't have to get one to go with the C2.

Oct 5, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #7 of 67
Wow, thanks for taking the time to answer my questions - much appreciated. I was just at the Audio-GD website to check out the specs on the C-2 amp because I was wondering if it would be powerful enough to drive the new orthos out these days such as the forthcoming HE-6.

Here is what it says:
Output Power
62 ohm: 1000MW
100 ohm: 1000MW

That makes this a pretty powerful headphone amp doesn't it?

Oct 6, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #8 of 67
Has anyone heard this specificall with the k70x? Even though I have an M-Stage on the way (I think, another story), I've since read most of the Dac19/C2/ACSS thread and am thinking about trying that combination in the future. Or would I not notice much improvement going from the Dac/19 to the M-Stage using rca's instead?

Oct 6, 2010 at 5:33 AM Post #9 of 67
I use my K701's with my DAC19DSP and C-2 using ACSS.I have been using it for a while now, It does everything it should.

Nice pleasurable combo, no high freq harshness, ample bass and detailed mids.

Oct 7, 2010 at 4:16 AM Post #12 of 67
I use a set of K702s from my C2 fed by a Reference 1 dac over acss connection. Lovely sound and a big step up from the Fun version A and Sparrow version A. Sound quality not nearly as nice to me using rca connection though.

Regards

Macrog

Quote:
Has anyone heard this specificall with the k70x? Even though I have an M-Stage on the way (I think, another story), I've since read most of the Dac19/C2/ACSS thread and am thinking about trying that combination in the future. Or would I not notice much improvement going from the Dac/19 to the M-Stage using rca's instead?

Oct 7, 2010 at 10:12 AM Post #13 of 67
Quote:
.... Lovely sound and a big step up from the Fun version A and Sparrow version A. Sound quality not nearly as nice to me using rca connection though.

Ah, I was also looking at the FUN so now I think maybe I will rule it out if I can get a big step up just by going with the C-2. What would really be nice is if Audio-GD would combine into one unit the C-2 and the P-2 pre-amp which has a remote...

May 12, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #14 of 67
Sorry to dig up an older thread. :)

Thinking of getting the C-2 2nd hand as a headphone amp for my ATH-AD1000 and as a preamp in my current chain of:
AudioGD DI->DAC19DF->Passive Preamp(Alp Blue 10Ohm Pot)->Emotiva UPA2->Usher BE718 speakers.

I read a lot about how good an headphone amp it is, and that I can CAST it with my DAC19DF. But how does it perform as a preamp? Does it perform well with no degrading of sound quality and remaining fairly neutrality without much colouration?

Thanks and Regards.

May 13, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #15 of 67
Will get a c-2.1 next week. Will see how that goes. Will not be able to try ACSS for quite some time since I need to change rcas to acss connections for my DAC19.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back