how good are ciems?
Sep 4, 2014 at 11:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

squirrelboy1210

Head-Fier
I currently own a pair of se535s and whilr the luscious mid range is to die for I can't help but want for a little more treble sparkle and a larger soundstage. I was wondering if ciems around the 500 dollars mark like jh5 and 1964 v3 could deliver. Also, how do these compare to full size phones like hd600 and k702? Are they on par or is there a sense of realism and depth to music iems just are physically incapable of providing?

Sep 6, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #5 of 10
I don't know how they compare to closed headphones, but they are of incredible value.
Since you're isolated from the outside, it's a brave new world.

Having the harmony 8 changed my life!

Sep 8, 2014 at 5:54 AM Post #7 of 10
What about ciems around 500 dollars? Are they comparable to closed phones like momentum or k555?

I haven't tried the V3, but used to own the universal version of the V6 and to me they are on a different level compared to the SE535. Compared to momentum, they have better transparency, clarity, micro details, imaging and separation. The V6 is more towards bright neutral side while momentum is towards the warm slightly bassy side.

Sep 10, 2014 at 7:16 AM Post #9 of 10
Great thanks for the input! They would those v6's stack up against open backs?

What open backs? if the HD600 then V6 has better clarity and details, but generally open backs have better soundstage and are airier. 

Sep 10, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #10 of 10
The advantage in CIEM's depends on the ability of the person to get a good fit with universals.

A good fitting CIEM's certainly has a slight advantage in terms of cohesiveness of the sound but if you can get a great fit with universals I would say the improvement in sound is marginal.....perhaps not worth the horrible resale value.  But if you kind of stuggle with universal fits, I highly recommend the CIEM route.  It would be a great improvement assuming they got the fit right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back