How do I convince people that audio cables DO NOT make a difference
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #497 of 3,657
Sure it did.

Hypothesis: Kees replied to JohnFerrier.

Test: Does the reply exist as a series of bits saved on the Head-Fi server?

Result: Yes!

Conclusion: Kees did indeed reply to JohnFerrier.

May 9, 2010 at 1:37 AM Post #499 of 3,657
Quote:
Since when is you answering "yes" scientific proof?

It's not. The existence of your reply as bits on the Head-Fi server is. Those bits are verifiable by tests. Someone who has no idea who you, or JohnFerrier, or Head-Fi, or your (pardon the french) juvenile existential argument, are can still download those bits, convert them into text, read it, and know that it was you replying to him. Can't do that with cables. The minute you take away knowledge of which cable is which, the difference is gone.

Not the best example, since bits don't mesh well as an analogy for cables (you need a USB for that).

May 9, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #501 of 3,657

You are demonstrating my point exactly: you confuse your idea of common sense with scientific proof. There is no similarity I can asure you.
Quote:
It's not. The existence of your reply as bits on the Head-Fi server is. Those bits are verifiable by tests. Someone who has no idea who you, or JohnFerrier, or Head-Fi, or your (pardon the french) juvenile existential argument, are can still download those bits, convert them into text, read it, and know that it was you replying to him. Can't do that with cables. The minute you take away knowledge of which cable is which, the difference is gone.

Not the best example, since bits don't mesh well as an analogy for cables (you need a USB for that).

May 9, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #502 of 3,657
Quote:
You are demonstrating my point exactly: you confuse your idea of common sense with scientific proof. There is no similarity I can asure you.

So believing in cables is common sense now?

You are demonstrating no point whatsoever. Though I'd love to hear one.

I'm going to sleep. If you respond with something meaningful, you can probably expect a rebuttal tomorrow.

May 9, 2010 at 6:25 AM Post #503 of 3,657

Quote:

I do think that people need to understand that science and testing prove, beyond any and all reasonable doubt that aftermarket cables are a scam.

Disagree with this, you cannot label all aftermarket cables as a scam.

Fitting a high quality cable will quite often give an improvement in durability, fit, electrical connection due to better quality materials, connectors etc.

Knowing when to stop spending vast sums of money is the key, whilst spending a sensible amount on a well made cable can be considered worthwhile, spending hundreds or thousands of £/$ on "high end" cables does seem to be a waste when all things are considered.

May 9, 2010 at 7:09 AM Post #504 of 3,657

Quote:
Fitting a high quality cable will quite often give an improvement in durability, fit, electrical connection due to better quality materials, connectors etc.

If you are worried about good electrical connection, try Eichmann plastic connectors. They will outlive your equipment. "Lamp" wire with right section etc properties is as good as it gets.
Just tried ICs worth euro 490 (there is an eager dealer who brings stuff every week ...). Guess what - b . . . . . . t.

As to durability - what are you doing to your cables ?? Mine are sitting at the back of the rack, lifeless/motionless, wondering of their existence ...

May 9, 2010 at 7:36 AM Post #505 of 3,657

Quote:

As to durability - what are you doing to your cables ?? Mine are sitting at the back of the rack, lifeless/motionless, wondering of their existence ...

I'm not doing anything to them, but like anything else in life a quality product will last longer - there are times a hifi cable does actually need to be disconnected and moved believe it or not!

I am not disagreeing with the logic in using lamp cord by the way (I connected quad els 57s with very cheap copper cable), my point was to compare the sort of cables available at places like Maplin against the really cheap bundled cables you sometimes see.

May 9, 2010 at 8:52 AM Post #506 of 3,657
This thread is still alive?

I tend to think that either side will stick to believe what they want and can't be convinced of the opposite. And BTW there's nothing wrong with perceiving the earth as flat: It's how it is displayed on many occasions. You can still know that it is round at the same time. But the analogy is flawed in another aspect: There's no certainty that cables are round (metaphorically speaking).

May 9, 2010 at 9:07 AM Post #507 of 3,657

Quote:
This thread is still alive?

I tend to think that either side will stick to believe what they want and can't be convinced of the opposite. And BTW there's nothing wrong with perceiving the earth as flat: It's how it is displayed on many occasions. You can still know that it is round at the same time. But the analogy is flawed in another aspect: There's no certainty that cables are round (metaphorically speaking).

Yes, whole life is a mirage, there is actually no planet Earth, i.e. flat or round is superflous to the objective observer. Hence there is no music, no misery, nothing to worry about...
The words of a guru are like winds blowing all over the place - what place ?
But there are cables worth $$$ which make a difference to the objective observer = god.
How can analogy be flawed if there is no reference ?

May 9, 2010 at 9:21 AM Post #508 of 3,657
Yes, whole life is a mirage, there is actually no planet Earth, i.e. flat or round is superflous to the objective observer. Hence there is no music, no misery, nothing to worry about...
The words of a guru are like winds blowing all over the place - what place ?
But there are cables worth $$$ which make a difference to the objective observer = god.
How can analogy be flawed if there is no reference ?

If you want certainty, you have to join one of the established religions. Maybe the words of a Guru would suffice, too.

May 9, 2010 at 9:34 AM Post #509 of 3,657

Quote:

If you want certainty, you have to join one of the established religions. Maybe the words of a Guru would suffice, too.

Which one do you recommend ?

"There is no guide, no guru, no leader, no god - just you alone to find the way. "
Krishnamurti

May 9, 2010 at 9:44 AM Post #510 of 3,657
I like your Krishnamurti quote. And I can cope with uncertainty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back