How do I convince people that audio cables DO NOT make a difference
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 5, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #466 of 3,657
Quote:

Originally Posted by cegras /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I've changed your opinion, good!

If you've agreed with me all along, damnit, we have a communication problem : p

I stick 100% with what I was stating: The great majority of «well-built» modern solid-state amps have measured deviations from an ideal transfer function that are clearly below the established hearing-threshold paradigms. It's just that the conservative measuring approach isn't sufficient for grasping all variables and the reality of audio phenomena. (IMO)

May 8, 2010 at 4:28 AM Post #468 of 3,657
Best cable is no cable! Why not solder the output of your amp directly to the input of your speaker? I wonder why no hifi company has think about this yet. Also, make an amp where the input is on the other side, so you can also solder your dac directly to your amp. The only cable you have left is the digital cable and even among cable believers, most don't think it makes a difference. This is pretty much cable nirvana.

May 8, 2010 at 4:44 AM Post #469 of 3,657

Quote:
Best cable is no cable! Why not solder the output of your amp directly to the input of your speaker? I wonder why no hifi company has think about this yet. Also, make an amp where the input is on the other side, so you can also solder your dac directly to your amp. The only cable you have left is the digital cable and even among cable believers, most don't think it makes a difference. This is pretty much cable nirvana.

Active speakers work that way and there are plenty of them.

May 8, 2010 at 6:05 AM Post #470 of 3,657
Well then I guess Patrick82 has the idea. Just use RCA to RCA M plugs to go straight from the DAC to the amp (etc) without the use of cables.

May 8, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #471 of 3,657

Quote:
Active speakers work that way and there are plenty of them.

Are the amplifiers actually physically mounted on the drive units in active loudspeakers then? I thought the term "active" just denoted that any crossover duties are done pre-amplification instead of post amplification.

May 8, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #472 of 3,657
I'm not sure. I was thinking out loud that with active speakers there is no cabling and in the case of the AVI ADM9 the speaker, amp and DAC are all one unit.

May 8, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #474 of 3,657
I think there will still be some internal cabling from amp to drive units..

What kickassdude is talking about is slightly different but quite impratical me thinks!

Said before though about cables, if you approach them with electrical principles in mind you wont get hung up on sonic differences.

May 8, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #476 of 3,657

Quote:
I think there will still be some internal cabling from amp to drive units..

What kickassdude is talking about is slightly different but quite impratical me thinks!

Said before though about cables, if you approach them with electrical principles in mind you wont get hung up on sonic differences.

I wasn't really serious, but if you want spent +$1000 total for cables that aren't perfect, you might as well take the impractical route to get the best external cabling you can get.

May 8, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #477 of 3,657
You haven't proved that they don't. I side with the King. Mr Ferrier.

May 8, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #479 of 3,657
From page 1 of this thread, I give you proof...tried and tested since 1983.

That said, there's no accounting for human perception and the power of suggestion. I posted this story in another thread, but I believe it's worth posting again. I've spoken with a self proclaimed audiophile who used expensive silver cables for his speakers. When asked, I found that he understood and (get this!) agreed that the science proves his cables make no difference. Upon further questioning, he admitted being unable to hear a difference in DBT. But such was the power of suggestion and all those years of believing he heard a difference that when he saw those silver cables, despite all knowledge to the contrary, he perceived an improvement.

So was it worth the money? Tough call.

I do think that people need to understand that science and testing prove, beyond any and all reasonable doubt that aftermarket cables are a scam. But if after understanding this they still "hear" improvements, well, who am I to tell them differently. After all, it has been shown that placebo can still be effective even when patients know they are taking a placebo.

May 8, 2010 at 10:44 PM Post #480 of 3,657
I used to work at Comet ( an electrical store ). We were pushed to sell Monster cables and I was immediatly dubious, wish I had stayed long enough to get the training from Monster .
This thread and its contents have convinced me  its all marketing buff.
Still the weight of them its nice to have a physically heavy, durable cable in your equipment if only for longevity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back