How do I convince people that audio cables DO NOT make a difference
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 8, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #481 of 3,657
I cant tell you how may times I'm listening to a pink noise cd with radio shack cables and think, "Man is science great or what"!

My point, to each his own, live and let live.

I dont "think" cables make a difference, I HEAR them make differences, so unless you can show me where my brain is faulty, or how your knowledge overrides my experience, live, and let live.

May 8, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #482 of 3,657
^ so it would be very easy for you to show this in a blind test to a statistically significant criterion.  
wink_face.gif

I would put the faulty brain region in feedback connections to layer 1 of caudal superior temporal region of your cortex.  That's where feedback connections shape emerging activity in primary auditory cortex, placing it in the context of memories, expectations and inputs from other sensory regions.  You hear these effects, they're as vivid and consistent as any conscious experience of the world but they're not real because your brain is not wired for passive, veridical experience.  Ergo the necessity for blind tests.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8578069

May 8, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #484 of 3,657

Quote:
I dont "think" cables make a difference, I HEAR them make differences, so unless you can show me where my brain is faulty, or how your knowledge overrides my experience, live, and let live.

You may as well have said, "I don't "think" the world is flat, I SEE the world to be flat, so unless you can show me where my eyes are faulty, or how your knowledge overrides my experience, live, and let live."

Your proof can be found in this thread. It can be found online. It can be found in literature. The link I posted in my last post should be mandatory reading for you. It explains why and how your brain is "faulty" without condescension or malice. It is an explanation targeted to laymen which clearly and effectively spells all this out.

Of course, suggestion being what it is, it is truly possible that you hear/perceive a difference when none is there.

May 8, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #485 of 3,657
So heres where I follow my own advice.  If test, method, and graphed results give you your audio goosebumps, go for it.  I'll support you freedom to do so and cherish your ability to make up your own mind.  Just let me do the same, I don't want to be saved, I'm just fine, but thanks for asking.  If reaching audio nirvana were the same for everybody, there would be only one cable produced, only one amp, and only one source for everybody.  

May 8, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #486 of 3,657

Quote:
You may as well have said, "I don't "think" the world is flat, I SEE the world to be flat, so unless you can show me where my eyes are faulty, or how your knowledge overrides my experience, live, and let live."

Your proof can be found in this thread. It can be found online. It can be found in literature. The link I posted in my last post should be mandatory reading for you. It explains why and how your brain is "faulty" without condescension or malice. It is an explanation targeted to laymen which clearly and effectively spells all this out.

Of course, suggestion being what it is, it is truly possible that you hear/perceive a difference when none is there.

I'll read it and see what I think.  And for you I would suggest the "Fragile Souls" series from 6Moons.  But really we should just be glad for each other and not playing the schoolyard game of "No my dad is the strongest... ...No MY dady is the strongest".

May 8, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #487 of 3,657
Jxk, good points to organize a meet and try your theory with others. I'm lucky to have gear good enough that power cables and IC's do sound different. During the next Seattle meet I will have extra cables to demo differences like an All copper Grado IC and a 16AWG SPC with Rhodium Connectors. Apples and oranges on my rig.

May 8, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #488 of 3,657
I won't argue that people don't hear a difference, because clearly they do. If patients can knowingly take placebo (read: fake) medication and get clinically significant improvements, then it doesn't surprise me that people can listen to different cables and hear improvements.

I will say there is no actual difference. I will also say that people can (and clearly do) hear improvements with different cables. And so long as they are clear on the understanding that science proves there's no difference, I'm fine with that. If you or someone else is happier, and perceives improvements with cables, that's fine.

The point I'm trying to make is that the two conflicting views are not necessarily mutually exclusive. And again, so long as you understand the science, if cables make you happier with your system then go for it. I'll even say it's probably worth the investment.

Now I'll just have to hide from people on both sides of the fence...
ph34r.gif

May 9, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #489 of 3,657
It's all good. No worries. Different views make this hobby fun.

May 9, 2010 at 12:20 AM Post #490 of 3,657

Quote:
I won't argue that people don't hear a difference, because clearly they do. If patients can knowingly take placebo (read: fake) medication and get clinically significant improvements, then it doesn't surprise me that people can listen to different cables and hear improvements.

I will say there is no actual difference. I will also say that people can (and clearly do) hear improvements with different cables. And so long as they are clear on the understanding that science proves there's no difference, I'm fine with that. If you or someone else is happier, and perceives improvements with cables, that's fine.

The point I'm trying to make is that the two conflicting views are not necessarily mutually exclusive. And again, so long as you understand the science, if cables make you happier with your system then go for it. I'll even say it's probably worth the investment.

ph34r.gif

Well put.
ph34r.gif
ph34r.gif

May 9, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #491 of 3,657

Science does not prove that there's no difference.
Quote:

ph34r.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back