How do I convince people that audio cables DO NOT make a difference
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 16, 2020 at 8:07 PM Post #1,636 of 3,657
We would have to separate the headphone cables, from the interconnect cables, from the speaker cables, from the USB cables, from the Data Cat7 cables, from the "XYZ" (etc.) cables, because due to this broad spectrum, any past tests are just too ambiguous to apply to a specific purpose other than that which they were applied...

:p

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2020 at 10:40 PM Post #1,637 of 3,657
For the purposes the cable was designed to be used, you can't hear a difference between cables. If you want to use a thin little wire to transmit trans-Atlantic data under the ocean, you may run into trouble. If you don't know what kind of cable to use, just ask, and then shop for one that doesn't cost much.

Mar 18, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #1,638 of 3,657
For the purposes the cable was designed to be used, you can't hear a difference between cables. If you want to use a thin little wire to transmit trans-Atlantic data under the ocean, you may run into trouble. If you don't know what kind of cable to use, just ask, and then shop for one that doesn't cost much.

We are so lucky to have smart people like you to enlighten us dim wits. Thank you so much!

Mar 18, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #1,639 of 3,657
Still ambiguous so not convincing both sides.
We can try.

We need to decribe what is this debatable condition, where users "believe" there is a change..

specify what exactly is the sonic trait that is "said" to be the most detected.

Or, also what is the brain mechanism wherebye a person feels a wire can sound different, while measuring no change??

Is there any explanation to this phenomena, besides some form of placibo, or mental bias?

Mayne we can speculate some possible ideas.

I am thinking:
**mental alertness,
**Room brightness
**Time of day
**External influences.

But what about the wire itself?
Why does it "have" to be mental?

In headphone cable, I feel the wire differences have the largest chance to make any difference.

What do the manufacturers say?
Why hasn't this thread approached the explanations that manufacturers say?

Because they would be the obvious ones to ask..

Mar 18, 2020 at 8:04 PM Post #1,640 of 3,657
Just do a blind test and find out for sure. If you hear a difference, check to see what the problem is. A wire either conducts without an audible difference, or it degrades the sound. A wire can't make sound better than the source, so if it is designed for the purpose you are using it for, one proper cable should sound exactly like any other.

The fact is, this HAS been properly tested and explained. The fact that people keep coming back to imagining differences between cables just shows the power of expectation bias and the pitfalls of sighted comparisons. You'll have to forgive people for not engaging fully with the topic. Honestly, it just isn't worth the time it takes to discuss. Just do the test. Cut out the bias and self-validation. Do the research. Figure it out. You'll end up at the same place we have.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2020 at 11:22 PM Post #1,641 of 3,657
I did blind testing with tubes, but only normal visual with cable.

Blind testing with headphone cable is extremely hard, as you have to physically swap the cable.
No switcher for that.

Just do a blind test and find out for sure
I know this good for other cable.
Headphone would be hard.
Have you tried with headphone cables?

Mar 18, 2020 at 11:24 PM Post #1,642 of 3,657
Get a switch box. They are cheap.

Tubes would probably be better measured. It's a lot more likely that tubes sound different. The important thing to determine would be which one is more accurate.

Headphone cables are so short, there's not much reason to expect that there would be any problem.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #1,643 of 3,657
We would have to separate the headphone cables, from the interconnect cables, from the speaker cables, from the USB cables, from the Data Cat7 cables, from the "XYZ" (etc.) cables, because due to this broad spectrum, any past tests are just too ambiguous to apply to a specific purpose other than that which they were applied...

No, that is completely incorrect. Past tests are not even the slightest bit ambiguous. In fact, past tests are so numerous, so conclusive and so UN-ambiguous that science can actually accurately predict the performance of cables before they're even manufactured and has been able to do so for well over a century! When some new standard/protocol is developed, say 25 or 40 Gigabit ethernet for example, that requires a new signal, 2GHz instead of the previous 500MHz (for 10Gbit ethernet), a new specification of cable is also required (Cat 8), the construction of which is predicted (by science). Then of course, the proposed ethernet standard, including the cable performance, is thoroughly tested before it's submitted for ratification and thoroughly tested again by some of the countries responsible for ratification. Once ratified, compliant products become available and are installed in commercial/industrial applications by certified network engineers who yet again thoroughly test performance and then of course, the system is actually used on a daily basis and the performance is demonstrated to work as predicted. And finally, some time later, products which implement the new standard become available to the public. "Past tests" just don't get any less ambiguous than that!

The above is only true for digital data transfer protocols and is not applicable to analogue audio because the signal specification for analogue audio signals have never changed!

[1] Still ambiguous so not convincing both sides.
We can try.
[2] We need to decribe what is this debatable condition, where users "believe" there is a change..
[3] specify what exactly is the sonic trait that is "said" to be the most detected.
[4] Or, also what is the brain mechanism wherebye a person feels a wire can sound different, while measuring no change??
[4a] Is there any explanation to this phenomena, besides some form of placibo, or mental bias?
[4b] Mayne we can speculate some possible ideas. I am thinking: **mental alertness, **Room brightness **Time of day **External influences.
[5] But what about the wire itself? Why does it "have" to be mental?
[6] In headphone cable, I feel the wire differences have the largest chance to make any difference.
[7] What do the manufacturers say? Why hasn't this thread approached the explanations that manufacturers say? Because they would be the obvious ones to ask..
1. Not if you accept the science/simple facts that have been proven for over a century and demonstrated in practice by millions ever since. Also, there really isn't a "both sides", there are numerous "sides", for example: There's the scientific side, there's the electrical engineering side, the pro-audio side, the sound engineer side, the music engineer side, the network engineer side, etc. The ONLY "side" who think it's "still ambiguous and not so convincing" is a tiny number of audiophiles!

2. Again, it's not a rationally "debatable condition", it's only debated by a tiny number of audiophiles and even then, is not a rational debate!

3. Generally, the perceived "sonic trait" matches the perceived visual trait. So copper is a redder/warmer colour than silver and therefore is perceived by some to sound warmer relative to the brighter/whiter appearance of silver.

4. The process by which our brains' create a perception is extremely complex and not entirely understood or predictable. However, many aspects of it are extremely well demonstrated, even if they're not fully explained.
4a. Some form of placebo or mental bias is required in order to even experience music in the first place, so there can't be a rational argument that audiophiles are not subject to such mental biases. To more directly answer your question, "No", there is no other rational explanation. Which is why all the alternative audiophile explanations are irrational, they ultimately depend on some form of magic and/or super-human ability.
4b. All of those can (but might not) affect perception but they're obviously not constant, whereas audiophile claims of audible cable differences are.

5. If you mean "metal", because metals have relatively high conductivity.

6. Actually it's exactly the opposite, headphone or speaker cable have the least chance to make any difference! For example, the cable from say your DAC to your amplifier carries a signal at a much lower level, so any differences the cable makes will be amplified (by your amplifier), whereas the signal in your headphone or speaker cable will not be further amplified and therefore neither will any differences the cable makes. The wire with the "largest chance of making a difference" is at the exact opposite end of the chain, microphone cables: They're typically 10m or more in length, the tiny microphone output signal typically has to be amplified by 10-1000 times before you can even start using it for anything, then during the mixing and mastering process it's likely to be amplified by another 2-10 times and then of course when you play it back, your amplifier will amplify it yet again!

7. Sorry but again that's pretty much the exact opposite, manufacturers would be pretty much the last ones to ask! Even if you don't believe it, assume for a moment that audiophile cable manufacturers are selling snake oil by making up marketing BS: Obviously you're not going to be given any information that contradicts their marketing. Even if the wire is manufactured by some third party in say China, they're not going to give you an honest answer or probably any answer at all because they're either contractually obligated not to and/or don't want to loose their client. The obvious ones to ask are independant scientists/metallurgists and those who professionally use and measure cable performance.
Blind testing with headphone cable is extremely hard, as you have to physically swap the cable. No switcher for that.
I know this good for other cable. Headphone would be hard. Have you tried with headphone cables?

Well yes, double blind testing is often extremely difficult to get right and even expensive scientific double blind tests with a large sample size are not 100% conclusive (though some get reasonably close) and this is why double blind testing is a last resort. The first resort is to measure the difference, which is relatively cheap, easy and inherently devoid of human biases. All you need is a decent (but not expensive) ADC and some free software, although in the case of headphone cables you'd also need an adapter to connect the HP cable output to the input of the ADC.

G

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #1,644 of 3,657
We are so lucky to have smart people like you to enlighten us dim wits. Thank you so much!
There is really no need to react like this. Most people in my family fit this meme:
aKxpVEO.jpg

As for common audiophile knowledge about cables, for every other relevant information, we get a complete nonsense free of charge. So it can be very hard to differentiate a captain obvious comment from information that some people had not yet considered.
Also coming from @bigshot, this is about as much acknowledgement of significant cable differences as you're going to get. he's making an effort here.

Get a switch box. They are cheap.

Tubes would probably be better measured. It's a lot more likely that tubes sound different. The important thing to determine would be which one is more accurate.

Headphone cables are so short, there's not much reason to expect that there would be any problem.
There is no readily available solution to test headphone cables as we need both cables plugged into the headphone(testing the cables alone is useless to check audibility into that one headphone). I made myself a little something for one type of IEM plugs once, so I could have both cables plugged into the switch near my neck and then some short cabling going the rest of the way to the IEM. I broke it the same day, and as it was compatible with only 1 of my IEMs because of the special plugs that I had to hunt on the internet for days, I never bothered again.
Doable, sure. Getting even 5 people on the entire forum to do it... A real challenge IMO. And I'm sure many audiophiles would reject the results complaining about the added cabling(like 25cm) changing the sound.

Mar 19, 2020 at 12:59 PM Post #1,645 of 3,657
There is more chance of an impact on the sound with speaker cables than interconnects, and more of a chance of difference between interconnects than headphone cables. I'd suggest he get a switch box and go to town trying to find a difference with interconnects. Try cheap ones, expensive ones, silver, gold, unobtanium... If he finds no difference there, I think he could safely extrapolate that for headphone cables. The people claiming night and day differences with patch cords are the same ones touting fancy headphone cables. Consider the source. The only important issues I've found with headphone cables are convenience and microphonics.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #1,647 of 3,657
I know people that have $1k cables...

I always had impression that silver cables always best, and silver plated was harsh or fatiguing in some way, and copper was neutral or dull...

But those old cliche ideas don't hold up.

I now have heard dull silver cable, and nice copper cable and only one time excellent silver plated (wireworld). Otherwise, regardless of the silver or copper brand, I always hear problems with silver plated...

So the reason I point this all out, is that, regardless of propfa or blind tests, I do tend to agree here that the brain has to do with it.
The brain either help or sabotage the things 100%

or its coronavirus...
:)

Mar 19, 2020 at 6:54 PM Post #1,648 of 3,657

I always had impression that silver cables always best, and silver plated was harsh or fatiguing in some way, and copper was neutral or dull...

I now have heard dull silver cable, and nice copper cable and only one time excellent silver plated (wireworld). Otherwise, regardless of the silver or copper brand, I always hear problems with silver plated...

So the reason I point this all out, is that, regardless of propfa or blind tests, I do tend to agree here that the brain has to do with it.

or its coronavirus...

Or the mastering!

Mar 19, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #1,649 of 3,657

Level matched, direct A/B switched blind test or it doesn't count!

Mar 20, 2020 at 4:53 AM Post #1,650 of 3,657

or its coronavirus...
Silver having its own sound is a logical fallacy. There is no debate to be had on this matter, whatever vague idea of a cause for a silver sound, it's wrong and can be disproved with some counter examples. Maybe the person believing it, is high on placebo and feels whatever he wants to feel. Or maybe he only had so many experiences that happened to give a similar result by chance because he keeps using those cables on the same rig. Or maybe he's just lazy and jumps to conclusion without fact checking much of anything. It doesn't really matter because an electrical circuit and the sound coming out of it will not be fully defined by a metal switched in a cable. The cable alone isn't fully defined by its metal. So thinking that if it's silver then it's always better and it always has that type of 'silver sound', that's the point of view of ignorance. That's Lego thinking, not electricity and not the real world.

There are several ways to lower impedance, the metal used is merely one of them. Not even the one with the most potential. That would be increasing the diameter or multiplying the wires in parallel. Or in some cases with already crazy low impedance, getting rid of the plugs for maximum contact surface like the OP of another thread did. No matter how it's achieved, lowering the impedance will not always have the same impact on all playback systems. So why would the sound characteristics remain the same anytime we use silver? Is it because it has special 'silver electrons' that smell different in the 9nth dimension of audio? I have seen evidence supporting that idea ^_^.

Then there is the joke of considering digital cables. Do they also give the silver sound to digital bits?
And icing on the silver cake, or maybe we should have started here: not all cables need to have the lowest impedance possible. Lowering the impedance of a fine copper cable well within specs by simply replacing copper with silver, that's a potential issue for all connections involving impedance matching.
Thinking that silver magically appearing somewhere will give universal consistency and automatic improvement to sound, is a belief divorced from reality for all those reasons. Some silver in a cable is not a sign of a good cable, just like an expensive cable is not the sign of a good cable. People can decide to see those relations if they want, but it's a very poor way of shopping for audio cables IMO.

I'm not trying to piss on silver. It's a very good electrical conductor so I could get hurt:scream_cat:. Silver is a little better than copper as a conductor and can certainly do a very good job if used properly. I'm just against jumping to conclusion and making up facts.

On the matter of audible differences, sighted experiences are inconclusive unless the audible difference is huge. But with audiophiles giving subjective feedback, how do you know if the difference is really huge or if they exaggerate or even maybe make it up with placebo? In audio reviews, it's not rare to have someone describe an ant of a change as if it was a Godzilla size monster but with more legs. So we can't just take those feedbacks at face value(even less so when it's on the web). Skepticism is the only answer to sighted impression IMO. And too bad if someone gets mad because of his own overconfidence. The one thing I trust from a sighted impression is when someone tells me that he enjoyed the experience. I most certainly have cables that make me enjoy music more. Not because of how they sound(because I usually have no evidence that they sound like anything), but because they're super pretty, or more practical to use(like some headphone cables). Cables do make a difference to me. but sound is rarely involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back