1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

How do I convince people that audio cables DO NOT make a difference

Discussion in 'Sound Science' started by 3602, Apr 4, 2010.
Tags:
First

Back
99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108
  1. Hifiearspeakers
    You and people like you. @castleofargh is the one guy that is trying to build bridges not walls, and you can’t even let him be even though he represents your side. I mostly agree with you all here but would never want to be associated with you all because of the blatant, contemptuous overtones that permeate all of your replies to anyone who isn’t a member of your tribe.

Not all audiophiles are audiofools who have been “groomed by salesman”. We’re not all 15 year old children who live in our parent’s basement. The sad part is that I really believe you don’t even recognize your own condescension.

SpeakerBox and Whazzzup like this.
  2. bigshot
    Me and my ilk are everything that is wrong in this world?! Just listen to yourself. Castle and I are just fine. In fact we're pals. Wanna join the party? Just hush this kind of talk and you and I will be fine too.

3. Hifiearspeakers
    No. Not everything wrong in this world; everything wrong in this thread, lol! You might be a great guy as long as no one brings up topics like sine waves and crosstalk.

4. bigshot
    I'm just going to answer with facts. I won't feed your emotion back to you.

Square waves are illegal signals in digital audio. You can't judge sound quality using a sine wave that isn't even allowed under digital audio spec. That would be like judging a car by how well it

Crosstalk was an issue back in the analog days. LPs and cassette tapes had relatively high amounts of bleed between channels. With digital audio, the level of crosstalk has been reduced to levels that are far below the threshold of audibility. In my sig file there is a link to a video where Ethan Winer takes an obnoxious buzzing sound and drops it in at different levels under music. By the time the buzzer reaches -40dB, it can't be heard through the music any more. A buzzing sound is the worst kind of noise. Stereo channels are different because they are related to each other. If you mix channels, it will become inaudible long before -40dB. CD players generally have crosstalk ratings well below -70dB. Crosstalk really isn't an issue with home audio any more.

5. Hifiearspeakers
    Seriously? Please tell me this entire reply to me was you being sarcastic and/or humorous! Because my last reply to you was completely tongue in cheek. Come on man! Relax! You don’t have to take everything so seriously!

6. bigshot
    Tongue in cheek doesn't carry well in text. In any case, even if you already knew all that, maybe someone else will benefit from it.

7. Glmoneydawg
    Worked for me:)

bigshot likes this.
  8. Sgt. Ear Ache
    This has likely been posted at some point but just in case...

it's pretty interesting.

9. castleofargh Contributor
    @castleofargh the forum members wishes to say that he's glad to be your pal and felt the same way for a few years now.
    @castleofargh the modo does hate you a little bit, because you're not making the modo task easier.

First

Back
99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108