How do I convince people that audio cables DO NOT make a difference
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 22, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #1,681 of 3,657
You remain an enigma to me, for not having hearing any difference in anything wire related at all.

Perhaps that's because I do blind listening tests and you make up your mind based on sighted listening.

It is possible for cables to sound different- If they are defective, either by manufacture or design, or if they are the wrong cable for the purpose- then they can definitely produce inferior signals. But it is simple to create a cable to use for an interconnect or speaker wire or headphone cable that works as good as any other cable. There is absolutely no correlation between cost and sound quality when it comes to cables. A four dollar cable can sound just as good as a $4000 one.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #1,682 of 3,657
A four dollar cable can sound just as good as a $4000 one
Screenshot_20200422-171840.jpg
considering I have a 3 pack of this low-cost cable,
IMG_20200422_172146.jpgthat is literally the same price you're stating for each LOL.

Going to need to test blind like you, because I'm biased to think my $4 cable is better!
:)

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #1,683 of 3,657
I finished my cheapo 3-pack cat7 cable into a headphone cable!
Now I can test and compare against my expensive ones!
IMG_20200421_200944.jpg
Also made one adapter. Have to make next one later.
:)

That's a nice lookin' cable. One marketing copywriter, one packaging designer, one paid review from 6moons and you're in business my friend. Check out this hot new cable maker from NYC w/ an advanced geometric cryogenic game changer, we bestow the Blue Moon award to the Maxximus Quantum cable.

Apr 22, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #1,684 of 3,657
That is fair enough, once again I'm not here to argue but to have interesting discussion.

In the YouTube videos of Abyss, they outright say cables do matter. If they truly felt to the core that they do not, wouldn't they be hesitant to make that claim since they have been in the audio biz for a LONG time and know non cable believers exist and would be offending a portion of the potential buyers plus the possibility of non believers to not buy their headphones since they are making debatably false claims? What is your take that?

I just find it hard to see them saying something they do not believe in to potentially offend a certain group if they did not believe in it themselves. It is not like they have not been around long enough to know that non believers would be extremely resistant to hear that. Not only that, non believers would then be supporting a company giving false information if they bought their headphones.

I hope you see what I'm trying to get at and I hope this brings interesting productive discussion.
Well they are selling a product. Note however that they provide no objective evidence to support their claim. You can also look at it from another perspective, for over 30 years now the James Randi institute has offered $1m to anyone that can prove there is a sound difference in cables (as it is considered to be paranormal), many have tried but no-one has passed a controlled test. $1m is still a large sum of money for a company like Abyss so why haven't they claimed it? Apart from the money, it would be priceless for the company in terms of marketing being the only one in 30 years to prove their claims by claiming the prize.

Apr 22, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #1,685 of 3,657
Caveat Emptor.

Apr 22, 2020 at 8:53 PM Post #1,686 of 3,657
Ok thanks for the replies, to the person who thought I was trolling, far from it. I would not waste other peoples' time behind a screen.

I supported Abyss and I think they make a great headphone. Very very happy with my TC 1266 and upgraded my whole chain because of their headphone.

Appreciate the responses given.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2020 at 10:22 PM Post #1,687 of 3,657
You have to forgive us. We are trolled on precisely this topic on a regular basis. It's made us "hand shy" like a dog that growls at the sight of a rolled up newspaper.

Apr 23, 2020 at 6:54 PM Post #1,688 of 3,657
I remember cutting down a big long fat Focal Utopia cable to shorten it.
I did it twice, and gotta say, it was the simplest looking cable ever.
Actually looked like a lamp or AC cord when I cut it...
Point is, that cable is mad expensive, and looks so simple.
The market is crazy.

Apr 24, 2020 at 2:06 AM Post #1,689 of 3,657
I remember a high end cable that turned out to be aquarium tubing with zip cord and loam.

May 19, 2020 at 10:33 PM Post #1,690 of 3,657
I find a difference in sound quality when using a cheap USB a to usb b to external dac vs a nicer 150$ cable. It seems as if it sounds cleaner. But I can't prove it. And I don't think it's worth the 150,but I do believe cables alter sound 2/3%

May 19, 2020 at 10:43 PM Post #1,691 of 3,657
I find a difference in sound quality when using a cheap USB a to usb b to external dac vs a nicer 150$ cable. It seems as if it sounds cleaner. But I can't prove it. And I don't think it's worth the 150,but I do believe cables alter sound 2/3%
There are too many variables involved to accept your proposition as a de facto, that is the reason that isolating these variables is needed to detect a delta between the control and the signal to test. Indirect and often unknown special pleading cannot be accepted as the hypothesis of an existing delta, but thanks for your opinion.

May 19, 2020 at 10:45 PM Post #1,692 of 3,657
There are too many variables involved to accept your proposition as a de facto, that is the reason that isolating these variables is needed to detect a delta between the control and the signal to test. Indirect and often unknown special pleading cannot be accepted as the hypothesis of an existing delta, but thanks for your opinion.
Yeah sure, I'm not gonna bother testing or investing, but I did hear a difference and it wasn't better or worse just seemed cleaner
Why.. After all... Wouldn't material added in a chain not change something... It's simple to the core..

May 19, 2020 at 10:51 PM Post #1,693 of 3,657
Yeah sure, I'm not gonna bother testing or investing, but I did hear a difference and it wasn't better or worse just seemed cleaner
Why.. After all... Wouldn't material added in a chain not change something... It's simple to the core..
I understand that you seem to expect that any change in a system will render a change in its output, thing that I do not dismiss; but you forget to consider the actual magnitude of the changes occurred in the systems and the ability of our ears to actually detect that change. Cables measure differently, but to a scale that is depreciable the delta existing between each one unless a custom outcome such as benign signal distortion is wanted. I am not telling you to test, I am just stating what measurements tell us about cables and how they affect the audio and signal chain. Thanks for reading

May 19, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #1,694 of 3,657
We can't really help you because $ is not an electrical variable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back