How big a headphone would you wear when commuting? ( Trains, buses etc)
May 18, 2011 at 6:46 AM Post #76 of 102
IEMs only when out and about. Honestly, I don't understand the logic behind attempting to use fullsize headphones on the go. They are large, heavy, and awkward. They have thick, overly long and heavy cords. They get in the way when you try and move around. And the open ones don't attenuate any noise whatsoever.

In short, fullsize headphones are everything portable headphones should not be. I'm amazed you guys can actually enjoy the music with all of the above annoyances (before you lose your hearing from using open headphones outside). :wink:

May 18, 2011 at 6:59 AM Post #77 of 102
Audio Tech M50s :)

Cuz hey, badass headphones on the go = DON'T MESS WITH ME B*TCHES XD

But in all seriousness, I'll go with in-ears on the go, but then I don't have one T.T

May 18, 2011 at 7:44 AM Post #80 of 102
I did use Senn's HD280 pro with a portable amp before, but I do find them to big, and the cord way too long. Occasionally I do use the HD280's but only when I'm doing longer commutes (flying, 5-6 hours bus rides etc.) I have also used D5000 back and forth to the groceries store, but only because it is no longer than a two minute walk.

For everyday use I find, like many others here, IEM's the most sensible option. However, headphones do work excellent as a tuque in the winter.

May 18, 2011 at 9:21 AM Post #82 of 102
I've been using my D2000 while on bus, train, airport, walking for the past 3 or so weeks.
Many people stare, specially when I take my amp out of my backpack, lol.
One guy even tried to show off his beats to me while on the train by putting his ipod on full volume while standing right next to me, he didn't know how big of a mistake he just made... Look on his face after I got off the train = Priceless!

Other than that, it's all been good comments on my oh so sweet set.
Also bought some Shure SE215 for times when the trip isn't worth taking my D2000 out but I just can't get used to the feeling of IEMs

May 18, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #83 of 102
I use my ATH-m50s on the go with no issues. They look classy so I get some classy looks 
cool.gif
 sound great, isolate well, are easily driven, and don't stick in my ears.

May 18, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #85 of 102
Totally agree with this post, although sometimes I want to get a really bass heavy, attention grabbing headphone to shut the beats/skullcandy crowd.  But I don't think it's worth spending money with that purpose in mind. Besides I like keeping it to myself most of the time, that's why I have my IEM's on..

Quote:
IEMs only when out and about. Honestly, I don't understand the logic behind attempting to use fullsize headphones on the go. They are large, heavy, and awkward. They have thick, overly long and heavy cords. They get in the way when you try and move around. And the open ones don't attenuate any noise whatsoever.

In short, fullsize headphones are everything portable headphones should not be. I'm amazed you guys can actually enjoy the music with all of the above annoyances (before you lose your hearing from using open headphones outside). :wink:

May 18, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #86 of 102
lol, The K271MKII are probably pretty good for outdoors use, I find that due to how horribly tight they are they manage to isolate better than a lot of other full size headphones. Chilling with them with the leather pads on is a problem though, can't stand them for more than 3 hours at a time. You have problems with longterm comforrt as well?

Quote:
>Now the stares I got wearing the K271's outdoors, those were something.
wink.gif

lol, I just tried that with K271 mk2 + cowon d2.
Looks like there's a small UFO on each of my ears... People at work and bus were looking pretty sympathetic to my 'condition'
biggrin.gif

May 18, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #87 of 102
lol, The K271MKII are probably pretty good for outdoors use, I find that due to how horribly tight they are they manage to isolate better than a lot of other full size headphones. Chilling with them with the leather pads on is a problem though, can't stand them for more than 3 hours at a time. You have problems with longterm comforrt as well?

the auto-adjusting headband wobbles when you walk and makes noises... They're actually pretty loose with next to 0 isolation and seal for me. After 3 hours of sitting in HP discomfort from earphones is least of my worries :D... But no, K271 seems fine for me in the comfort sense... Just goes to show how much YMMV with regards to fit.

May 18, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #88 of 102
I commute on the train about two to three times per week and I use the HFI-580s. I carry a messenger bag so it's easy to stash them if I'm not using them. I keep the excess cord in check with a cable tie.  I don't find them big, clumsy or awkward whatsoever. I actually think they look cool, but then again I've been used to wearing full-sized headphones since I was in high school (I'm 27 now). 

I tried switching to IEMs with the Shure E4c a few years back but decided that the tradeoff in sound that I'd get for switching to an IEM isn't worth the convenience gained in portability. 

May 18, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #89 of 102
I did use the Sennheiser HD448 out and about, pretty good portable, upper limit to what I'd wear outside. They look pretty fancy in person, mind you. Now I have HD25s, so it's not a matter of big, but of weird-looking.

May 18, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #90 of 102
ESW9's, always. Many other mentioned this form factor as the sweet spot- ES7's and ESW10's and such. There's a really nice hard carrying case that Audio Technica put out for this form factor- which is nice considering I would cry myself to sleep if the wood got scratched. I only get strange looks because I have the plastic that came stuck on the ESW9's wooden cups cut AROUND the wood to protect it. My next project is replacing that with a invisible sheild. :wink:
I used to have a pair of Shure buds, I forget the model- But I lost them. Which is why I honestly can never go back to IEMs... at least I dont think I could.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back