How big a headphone would you wear when commuting? ( Trains, buses etc)
May 18, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #91 of 102
Daily commute (walk/subway/commuter train/shuttlebus and back): pre UE TF10 acquisition, mostly UE SF5EB IEMs & occasionally AKG 702; post UE TF10 acquisition, always TF10 IEMs
Weekend commute (walk/subway/amtrak/car and back): AKG 702

May 19, 2011 at 2:16 AM Post #92 of 102
I took my K702s out on Saturday (went to play Nobilis with some friends, brought the phones along with my J3 + XM6 because I knew we'd be out for the better part of the day). Stopped at a Jamba Juice, place was packed. Dunno if I got any looks; probably didn't, seemed like everyone was either busy, or busy waiting for their drinks.

-- Griffinhart

May 19, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #93 of 102
My commuting pair on the train used to be Grado SR80's which aren't terribly big but they make you look like a russian astronaut. Funniest thing that happened to me was when I was walking home from the train and a guy looked at me and pretended like he was placing an order at McDonalds. I almost peed myself laughing.

May 19, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #94 of 102
How do you folks with the open cans, especially Grados, manage to get any listening done on buses? Serious question. Sometimes I feel my HD25 isn't isolating enough..

May 19, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #96 of 102
You gotta have plenty of attitude ; )

If I come back to the forum after 25th May, that means I survived being mobbed by a plane full of passengers. That or the more believable alternative that people have greater tolerances than we give them credit for =D

To be honest I wouldn't be doing critical listening anywhere noisy even with customs. The noise from the subway or a crowded coffee shop is enough to seep into your music even with customs, so with anything including open cans like Grados, I just use them for providing some kind of background music to help me along my journey.

May 19, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #97 of 102

Crank it! Who doesn't appreciate a screeching Hendrix solo?

But in all seriousness, that is why I bought my ER-4p IEMs. Because on an airplane sitting next to the wing they were basically useless.

Quote:
How do you folks with the open cans, especially Grados, manage to get any listening done on buses? Serious question. Sometimes I feel my HD25 isn't isolating enough..

May 19, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #98 of 102
If you are a bad ass, then you gets to do what ya wanna do . . .

. . . but . . .

for the rest of us . . . 

. . . perhaps some discreet noise isolating headphones are a good idea?

Sorry for silliness . . . sort of . . .
tongue.gif

May 19, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #99 of 102

Quote:

I can't even listen to my Grados with a box fan turned on low. Needless to say, I end up using IEMs most of the time 
etysmile.gif

May 19, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #100 of 102
For travel, I use my Sony - MDR-V150's. I know they're a laughable set of headphones to most of you guys but they're cheap, sound decent enough for travel, and not a huge loss if they get trashed.

May 20, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #101 of 102
PX200  or SE425 for my train and bus commute.

May 20, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #102 of 102
I usually only wear IEMs on the go. On sunny days, I pull out the Zino, but it's more of an accessory than an audiophile headphone to me - the Zino looks just as good as bad voices sound.
tongue.gif

I do wear my fullsize cans outside from time to time, but only on the train and if my beatiful wife is with me. Else I'd feel ridiculously stupid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back