How are the Beats Pro, Detox and Studios?
Oct 31, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #61 of 150
I am going to reply but please note that my comments are made with the the utmost respect and just my opinion.

Ishcabible:  I do not dispute your observations of the Pro's/Detox'x; they are simply different than mine.  I disagree with your comment about dynamic range.  To me, dynamic range is the ability to resolve the sounds from quiet to loud (to my way of thinking from ppp to fff).  The Detox will play "rim shots" on Gary Wright's Dream Weaver and Blind Feeling link nothing I have heard since the Nakamichi Reference Monitors driven with McIntosh electronics at Harmony Stereo back in the mid 1970's.  Presented without compression (the feeling of being squashed or limited).  While this was not the "end all" in definition and transparency it was certainly dynamic.  Perhaps our definitions differ but all too often headphones "run out of gas", the Detox's do not exhibit this.   I have not heard Prota Pro's for almost 20 years but I recall that one of the things that I did not like about them was that they did run out of gas when pushed.  What kind of mod was performed on them?

My reference headphones/IEM's are Stax SR-404's and SR-003 for electrostatic, Ultimate Ears Triple Fi's, Etymotic ER-4P and Klipsch S4 for dynamic.  The Detox's are different than these and they have their place in my arsenal. 

OmenWalker and LizardKing: Points well taken.  Thank you.  To me the musical experience is a personal one.  Here is my crummy argument - If there was a perfect headphone on the market, there would only be one headphone on the market. (No, the Detox is not perfect, far from it.)  My only reason for writing is that so many folks appeared to be bashing it and its performance.  I use this headphone for its qualities, not its shortcomings.

Oct 31, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #62 of 150

Quote:
Good afternoon,

For those of you who do not like the Beats Detox or Beats Studio you are entitled to your opinion.  But, please give them a serious listen before entering your opinion.  A few minutes at Best Buy of an abused demo pair, connected to a less then adequate source and questionable material, is not a serious audition.  In my opinion the Studio's, Pro's and Detox (not the Solo's) have something that a wealth of headphones lack, dynamic range.  Connected to an amp, I use an old Red Sound amp when I need one, they are better than one would be led to believe reading the responses here.  Even with the Gen 5 iPod direct they are a credible performer. 

In my opinion those who read this thread would be well served to take the comments with a grain of salt until you read a comment of someone that has a properly burned in and non abused set.  You may find more here than you have possibly been led to believe.

Although I haven't listened to the Pros for a extended amount of time, I'd say for $200, they would actually be a great headphone. For $400, not so much. I have to agree on the serious listening before entering opinion part. I have heard a lot of people saying very odd things such as the M50 is better headphone, when they are clearly apples to oranges in terms of signature. I also hear people say that the Studios are $50 sounding, which is not true, even though the bass sounds very odd and unpleasant on the studios, they are in no way a $50 sounding headphone

Oct 31, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #64 of 150

Quote:
Good afternoon,

For those of you who do not like the Beats Detox or Beats Studio you are entitled to your opinion.  But, please give them a serious listen before entering your opinion.  A few minutes at Best Buy of an abused demo pair, connected to a less then adequate source and questionable material, is not a serious audition.  In my opinion the Studio's, Pro's and Detox (not the Solo's) have something that a wealth of headphones lack, dynamic range.  Connected to an amp, I use an old Red Sound amp when I need one, they are better than one would be led to believe reading the responses here.  Even with the Gen 5 iPod direct they are a credible performer. 

In my opinion those who read this thread would be well served to take the comments with a grain of salt until you read a comment of someone that has a properly burned in and non abused set.  You may find more here than you have possibly been led to believe.

I tried the Studios at a good, local store that seems to burn in all their demo headphones, and they always let customers bring their own DAPs to audition gear.
I A/B'd the Beats Studio against ATH-M50 and AKG K271. I am not unfamiliar with "hyped" sound or neutral sound. I've owned the DT880, HD25-1, Shure 440, UM1 and Senn IE8. 

Independent of price, I thought the Studio sounded terrible. In light of price, I am convinced it's daylight robbery. I don't begrudge the store, since they don't have much say in the matter...but Monster is knowingly marketing these based primarily on looks, price (to communicate an impression of a premium product) and a few buzzwords like "noise cancelling" and "studio".

I make no qualms about recommending OP away from Beats based on sound and value-for-money; if he thinks they look good, I can't argue that point since aesthetics are very subjective.

Oct 31, 2011 at 8:27 AM Post #65 of 150
My mods are just taking the plastic cover out in front of the driver and replacing that with wool felt. It helps the sound a great deal, surprisingly. I will concede that I may not have been hearing the Pros out, but regardless, they're not really worth $500. For the $250 they sell for in the outlet, they're a bit better. I like them more than D2000's. *flamesuit on*

Oct 31, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #66 of 150
Well I owned Solo HD, Studio and Detox just because they look nice but sound wise ... I can tell u that u can fins better with the same price or cheaper.

Solo HD and Studios breaks easily if u r careful enough. My Studios broke down while folding it so for 300$ that's one crappy material they used there. 
Detox is very well built, very durable but amazing heavy and squeeze ur head tightly.

Sound wise, SoloHD sounds really bad, so bad that u hate the songs u used to love when 
listening to it with SoloHD.
Studios sounded ok, the bass was nice but vocals were bad. The most comfortable beats ever made so far, battery is a minus and without it u cannot use the studios. But Aviator for 150$ sounded better in bass and vocals next to the 300$ studios when I tried them. XB series were even more amazing in sound next to studios and it's only around 80$ on amazon.
Detox .... The nightmare of beats. In sound it's same with Pro, bass is lower than studios but vocals are better. Not good for long use hours so don't even think about it. It's a 100$ more than Pro just because of the all black color. My HD250 sounded way better than Detox and it's only 99$ from bestbuy. 

Style  wise, nothing beats Beats with their stylish looking headphone.

So if you only care about how good they look then buy them.
if you care about sound, then I really don't recommend it with this price range.
comfort, try Denon, Sony, or AKG. If u insist on beats then Studios hands down.

Beats are nice headphones but for the price, ... You can buy better trust me I

Nov 1, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #67 of 150

Quote:
Well I owned Solo HD, Studio and Detox just because they look nice but sound wise ... I can tell u that u can fins better with the same price or cheaper.

Solo HD and Studios breaks easily if u r careful enough. My Studios broke down while folding it so for 300$ that's one crappy material they used there. 
Detox is very well built, very durable but amazing heavy and squeeze ur head tightly.

Sound wise, SoloHD sounds really bad, so bad that u hate the songs u used to love when 
listening to it with SoloHD.
Studios sounded ok, the bass was nice but vocals were bad. The most comfortable beats ever made so far, battery is a minus and without it u cannot use the studios. But Aviator for 150$ sounded better in bass and vocals next to the 300$ studios when I tried them. XB series were even more amazing in sound next to studios and it's only around 80$ on amazon.
Detox .... The nightmare of beats. In sound it's same with Pro, bass is lower than studios but vocals are better. Not good for long use hours so don't even think about it. It's a 100$ more than Pro just because of the all black color. My HD250 sounded way better than Detox and it's only 99$ from bestbuy. 

So if you only care about how good they look then buy them.
if you care about sound, then I really don't recommend it with this price range.
comfort, try Denon, Sony, or AKG. If u insist on beats then Studios hands down.

Beats are nice headphones but for the price, ... You can buy better trust me I

agree with all that

the beats pro/detox have less bass and a better sound, but its still not worth nowhere near 400-500 bucks.

my hd 650s kill them all (put them all together and the hd 650 still win) . for their price point, theres alot of wayyy better headphones out there that would kill them at that price

and many cheaper options that sound just as good if not better

Nov 1, 2011 at 4:43 AM Post #68 of 150

Quote:

agree with all that

the beats pro/detox have less bass and a better sound, but its still not worth nowhere near 400-500 bucks.

my hd 650s kill them all (put them all together and the hd 650 still win) . for their price point, theres alot of wayyy better headphones out there that would kill them at that price

and many cheaper options that sound just as good if not better

true, but between u and me. I'm thinking to get Tron T1 lol
looks very future like, i kinda feel the sounds is not bad but not great for 300$ 
i just love how they look hahaha

Nov 1, 2011 at 5:43 AM Post #69 of 150
I had a chance to try a pair of Solos today. After listening to some Joanna Wang and The Police on it, I was ready to dismiss it as ****, but trying it on bass heavy hip-hop and dancehall tracks really helped me see the appeal. They're portable subwoofers, honestly. They remind me of the hi-bass car stereos people would park outside of block parties back when I was a kid. They didn't have the clarity of my HD598s, but the sound signature was different enough for me to not hate on it.

I sort of had a chuckle at the box for it. "rich bass... no distortion..." Not only is that a blatant lie, but the distorted bass is probably the best reason for owning one.

Nov 1, 2011 at 5:59 AM Post #70 of 150

Quote:

I know that vulgar has been the new in for quite some time now (even though I think it's fading), but I'd never consider any Beat product stylish. I think they're incredibly inelegant and would never want to wear them in the Parisian subway (unless they sounded amazing). There's just something wrong with the two cups sticking from your ears like an ET. And then there's the colours, the shiny but cheap plastic, the red cord, etc.
I even find the HD-25 better looking, because at least it's not trying to do something and failing at it. It's not because a product tries to be stylish that it actually is. I remember a few years ago white skulls on black scarfs suddenly burst into the fashion zone, only to disappear six months later - thank god, that was massively ugly. One good indicator of style is time : if something still look as fresh now as it did 20 years ago, then it's a good indication of a good design. I'm not so sure Beats will remain "stylish" in the future.

On the other hand I find the Detox much better looking and the build to be decent.

Nov 1, 2011 at 8:16 AM Post #71 of 150

Quote:
I know that vulgar has been the new in for quite some time now (even though I think it's fading), but I'd never consider any Beat product stylish. I think they're incredibly inelegant and would never want to wear them in the Parisian subway (unless they sounded amazing). There's just something wrong with the two cups sticking from your ears like an ET. And then there's the colours, the shiny but cheap plastic, the red cord, etc.
I even find the HD-25 better looking, because at least it's not trying to do something and failing at it. It's not because a product tries to be stylish that it actually is. I remember a few years ago white skulls on black scarfs suddenly burst into the fashion zone, only to disappear six months later - thank god, that was massively ugly. One good indicator of style is time : if something still look as fresh now as it did 20 years ago, then it's a good indication of a good design. I'm not so sure Beats will remain "stylish" in the future.

On the other hand I find the Detox much better looking and the build to be decent.

I seriously cannot see the ET part on Beats. I'm pretty sure they all curved all over and not pointy at some weird direction like ET ears.
are you sure you saw Beats or something that you didn't like and assumed its beats???

Nov 1, 2011 at 9:44 AM Post #72 of 150

Quote:
I seriously cannot see the ET part on Beats. I'm pretty sure they all curved all over and not pointy at some weird direction like ET ears.
are you sure you saw Beats or something that you didn't like and assumed its beats???

You're right, that's not what I meant, and it was even less flattering. Every time I see somebody wearing either the Solo or the Studio, I instantly think about the Teletubbies (which are some sort of ET in my mind). Must be the rounded shape and the colours, and the fact that the arc joins the ear cups at their back (instead of at their side) which create a gap between your head and the arc (and therefore creates that spherical look that reminds me of the Teletubbies). 

I think the Pro and especially the Detox look better though (less tacky).

As for the sound, I tried a friend's Solo and found it terrible. I also tried the Studio in an Apple Store (won't comment on that since the setting wasn't ideal) and the Pro in a smaller shop with my own music. I found the latter decent, but too expensive for what it produced, and without "external" advantages to compensate for it (example : I think the B&W P5 isn't worth 300 euros of sound, but I think that it has great ergonomics that make it a perfect portable headphones).

Nov 1, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #73 of 150

Quote:
You're right, that's not what I meant, and it was even less flattering. Every time I see somebody wearing either the Solo or the Studio, I instantly think about the Teletubbies (which are some sort of ET in my mind). Must be the rounded shape and the colours, and the fact that the arc joins the ear cups at their back (instead of at their side) which create a gap between your head and the arc (and therefore creates that spherical look that reminds me of the Teletubbies). 

I think the Pro and especially the Detox look better though (less tacky).

As for the sound, I tried a friend's Solo and found it terrible. I also tried the Studio in an Apple Store (won't comment on that since the setting wasn't ideal) and the Pro in a smaller shop with my own music. I found the latter decent, but too expensive for what it produced, and without "external" advantages to compensate for it (example : I think the B&W P5 isn't worth 300 euros of sound, but I think that it has great ergonomics that make it a perfect portable headphones).

you see, now things make more sense about ET :)
I agree with you about the Solo, i tried the HD version and dude i was like "is it me or apple earphones sounds better than this???" 
Studios, well the bass is good and really make your body all pumped and wanna bang anything you see.
Pro/Detox, sounds ok but like I said, my HD250 sounds better and costs me 99$ but i won't really walk around with it. too ugly.
the only reason I think about why its expensive its because of marketing. I mean lets face it, Mac and PC are same **** but different OS. People tend to like Mac more because its "expensive and look good" compared to PC. and we always follow the saying "you get what you pay for" so everyone assume expensive means better. I own a mac only because its better tan PC with photos and very clean OS. Beats, well style is nice and I can use it outside without being "oh **** pls dont let anyone see me with my weird headphone" 
B&W is the British more elegant version of Beats IMO so its really about what you looking for, sound, style, comfort, girls, fame, etc

but i do think u had a bad time with Beats so I understand your position :)

Nov 1, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #74 of 150

Quote:
Studios, well the bass is good and really make your body all pumped and wanna bang anything you see.

Heaven forbid that Beats turns all its users into raging nymphomaniacs.

Quote:
Pro/Detox, sounds ok but like I said, my HD250 sounds better and costs me 99$ but i won't really walk around with it. too ugly.

You have the HD250?
Because MayaTlab was referring to the HD 25-1.

Quote:
B&W is the British more elegant version of Beats IMO so its really about what you looking for, sound, style, comfort, girls, fame, etc

This comparison of Beats to the decades-old Bowers and Wilkins makes me go like this:
 =(

Nov 1, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #75 of 150

Quote:
Heaven forbid that Beats turns all its users into raging nymphomaniacs.

You have the HD250?
Because MayaTlab was referring to the HD 25-1.

This comparison of Beats to the decades-old Bowers and Wilkins makes me go like this:
 =(

Well, i don't blame heaven at this point :)
I know he was referring to HD-25-1, I just compared the HD250 to tell him that my cheap headphones sounds better than Beats so it means without thinking much that his is better than beats by way up there.
and dont be =( about B&W, we both just have different tastes and ears I guess :)
I tried the P5, but really come on. 300$? why? its no different than beats at this rate, good looks but SQ come on, really? for 300$ dont u think u can get better than P5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back