Home-Made IEMs
Dec 5, 2022 at 6:11 AM Post #14,551 of 16,068
Does anyone here have a simple answer for how bends in tubes affect the resonant peaks or if they don't?
That is interesting if it does...I'd like to know your findings. But I guess a "significant" dip (at 3k) will be related to other issues? Sounds like a phase issue to me:
If the tubes are just slightly different length or the dampers are placed slightly different you will get mismatch. I guess you have checked polarity?
You could also measure the components in the crossover to check if these are matched. They tend to not be...
Measure the drivers one by one on each side and compare. Which drivers are you using?
And if you decide to remove the drivers you'll be fine. You won't destroy them. just be careful. I do it all the time:)

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2022 at 9:46 AM Post #14,552 of 16,068
Does anyone here have a simple answer for how bends in tubes affect the resonant peaks or if they don't? I thought that it didn't matter too much as long as it was smooth, but now I'm not sure.

The purple tube below is my right iem, which worked ok, but the gold tube is the same tube from the left iem (overlaid on the right one for comparison). There are some slight differences in the tube bends (sharper turns) but the lengths are the same. That left iem has a significant dip at about 3kz and doesn't really match the right. Could the problem be the tube shape? Or is the problem likely to be elsewhere? I'm worried I'll destroy the driver if I move it to a reprinted shell so don't want to do that unless there's a good chance it will help. Thanks!

1670157646938.png
I *think* that sharp bends acts as a damper.

Dec 5, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #14,553 of 16,068
Good luck, GV sounds great and is easy to use. I'll have a go at answering these but I'm still a beginner so others will know better.

1. I just used cheap local paraffin wax, I can't imagine it makes a huge difference. You'll be sanding it down later anyway.
2. I had 2 open and 2 closed I think. You can measure/listen and adjust to taste before you close it up
3. I used 2mm ID tubes. I would imagine you'd lose some treble if you used 1mm ID tubing for the tweeter. Maybe that is desirable to some. With 2mm ID tubing all the way you'll have more options for damper placement
4. I don't think wires will make much difference, if you're going to be able to see them then take that into account
5. I had no problem using normal resin dyes. Of course exposure times will vary so you'll need to experiment.
6. Not tried flakes but added some black mica for one pair. Don't recall having any problems with exposing it and the specs do hide any imperfections/bubbles quite well as a bonus. I'd say you should be fine with flakes, unless you go over the top

1670221705780.png
Thank you for helping!

So i will order 1 and 2mm ID tubes and try to use only the 2mm ones. hope to have enough space at the end of the shell
Also I am going to order a Dayton iMM-6 for measuring. Didn't plan that before.

Dec 5, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #14,554 of 16,068
Get as many kinds of tube as possible. If you are ordering frome some place with tubing, grab some. They all have different kink resistance, stretch differently, nest together in a nozzle differently. Changing tube size can help deal with driver peaks.

Dec 6, 2022 at 1:06 AM Post #14,555 of 16,068
I *think* that sharp bends acts as a damper.
Yes, this seems to have been the case. I created a new shell with an exact duplicate tube (from the other side) and the problem went away. The oddity was seen even with only the main 1723 driver in the circuit which ruled out polarity or crossover differences. It wasn't massive, maybe -3db or so, but enough to stop it matching nicely.

I am recycling the drivers from the first iem I built and adding the vented DDs as discussed recently. The BA was buried up to its head so was difficult to remove but I broke the shell around it bit by bit and got to it safely in the end. I've started fixing drivers in with resin rather than glue and that really helps when it comes to getting them out.

I put the curves in the tubes as there wasn't enough room for the length I wanted otherwise. I wasn't expecting an effect on the sound but I guess the sharp bend did introduce some unpredictable reflections. Anyway, all good now I think. Cheers

Dec 6, 2022 at 1:10 AM Post #14,556 of 16,068
Thank you for helping!

So i will order 1 and 2mm ID tubes and try to use only the 2mm ones. hope to have enough space at the end of the shell
Also I am going to order a Dayton iMM-6 for measuring. Didn't plan that before.
Remember that if you use 2mm ID tubes, you can always slip some short pieces of that 1mm ID tubing into the canal and see if you like it. It can definitely tame peaks but I don't think the GV is particularly peaky

Dec 6, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #14,557 of 16,068
Has anyone built a good set of bullet IEMs? Just trying to have some DIY fun and I'd like to put a couple my used 9mm casings to good use.
I did the usual google search and there's a couple of old build instructions, but I think the recommended drivers aren't even available anymore.
Any guidance and currently available BOM is appreciated. Thanks!

9mm case.jpg

Dec 7, 2022 at 5:23 AM Post #14,559 of 16,068
At the moment, there are two things i am unsure with:

1. Most CIEM I see dont have ear wax filters at the end of the tube. I see that the place there might often be to small for filters on all tubes. But how do you deal with it? i guess the dampers are too deep inside the tube to reach all the way with a normal cleaning stick. how do you deal with it? isn't it a big problem? some friends have often ear wax in their shure se iems.

2. maybe a silly question, but i haven't seen or read it yet: how to make letters or logos in the faceplate? printing on foil, cut out, put on faceplate and fill with lack 3? cut with vinyl cutter? or make a template (e.g. with vinyl cutter), fill with colour, remove template, finish with laque?

Dec 11, 2022 at 10:31 PM Post #14,564 of 16,068
Hi,have question.

I never used Sonion 38AJ007Mi/8a.
Because i dont know how to make crossover with it . Still kinda new guy in all this stuff.
Please if any one can give me good advice how to make crossover ill be grateful:)
Can’t really offer a crossover point unless you/ we know what drivers it is being paired with.

Dec 12, 2022 at 2:40 AM Post #14,565 of 16,068
Has anyone built a good set of bullet IEMs? Just trying to have some DIY fun and I'd like to put a couple my used 9mm casings to good use.
I did the usual google search and there's a couple of old build instructions, but I think the recommended drivers aren't even available anymore.
Any guidance and currently available BOM is appreciated. Thanks!

9mm case.jpg
lol imagine that being a new iem trend. NEWLY MADE BULLET IEMS WOW WHAT A REVOLUTION LMAO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back