Home-Made IEMs
Dec 12, 2022 at 7:11 AM Post #14,566 of 16,068
lol imagine that being a new iem trend. NEWLY MADE BULLET IEMS WOW WHAT A REVOLUTION LMAO
It is an old trend. There were a couple of companies that sold them. From what I could tell sound was not that good. I thought it would be interesting to try making a few that might sound good if tuned well. Actually there are many 'bullet' shape IEM on the market, they are not made from real bullet cases of course, just the general shape. One example is Intime IEM. They are made in Japan and have piezo and DD drivers and have very good sound. Anyway, I found a few more resources that have some build information that could help me to have some fun with this.

Edit: Here's another example of a well regarded 'bullet' shape IEM: Technics EAH-TZ700

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2022 at 9:22 PM Post #14,568 of 16,068
Does anybody tried to use HODVTEC/33AJ007i/9 like two independent driver? Is it an efficient setting like what they perform in parallel?
I have done it split, parallel and series....
I will suggest go series with these as you get better loudness control.
Splitting will be pain as adjusting crossover would be very hard

Dec 14, 2022 at 1:45 AM Post #14,569 of 16,068
I have done it split, parallel and series....
I will suggest go series with these as you get better loudness control.
Splitting will be pain as adjusting crossover would be very hard

I see.... thank you!
Was wondering if I can use it as 1 bass + 1 mid
E.g. HODVTEC 31618 half of it low pass at 4-500 another one as mid by cap+rez to high pass at 2-3k
ideally avoid the peak of mid....

Dec 14, 2022 at 7:14 AM Post #14,570 of 16,068
Why is better?
Can you please tell me how to wire this driver?
Thank you
The accupass rolls off very well making it suitable for drop in with other ba's. I've used it recently with a knowles HE....simply parallel, no crossover or filter on the sonion...just a longer 16 mm 2 tube. My he had a 330 filter at the ba nozzle..12mm tube. Very easy and great sounding with plenty of bass.

Dec 14, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #14,571 of 16,068
Does anybody tried to use HODVTEC/33AJ007i/9 like two independent driver? Is it an efficient setting like what they perform in parallel?
In every build I've done, all drivers are wired in parallel. I wouldn't use either of these dual woofers to produce good results in the upper mid to high range. As you mentioned, avoiding the peak. With stock balanced armatures it is not recommended to do anything more than a 1st order crossover due to electrical phase compensation you will have to engineer. It's easiest and more preferred to use a driver that is built to cover the spectrum you are trying to cover. Nothing of good quality will come from either of these drivers above say, 2k. This is why we use external frequency manipulation such as dampers, resonators, etc.

Dec 14, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #14,572 of 16,068
The accupass rolls off very well making it suitable for drop in with other ba's. I've used it recently with a knowles HE....simply parallel, no crossover or filter on the sonion...just a longer 16 mm 2 tube. My he had a 330 filter at the ba nozzle..12mm tube. Very easy and great sounding with plenty of bass.
The built in accupass is worth the little bit extra as it increases the amount of room available in the canal for custom IEMs. Just attach a #16 acoustic tube (2mmODx1mmID) and your done. A simple series resistor will work for volume reduction, or in some cases, an L-Pad. With the accupass though you don't get the peak pushed up the spectrum with the series resistor like you do with the 33 or the 37 or the HOD.

Dec 14, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #14,573 of 16,068
D3CB22C1-D8CE-4C53-A782-55F06E5E5951.jpeg

Is this a lpad for sonion 38dixj ?

Dec 15, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #14,576 of 16,068
so, i got a few questions.
im working on a project that is basically audiophile hearing aids. basically im building something similar to a reciever in canal hearing aid as a pair of tws iems. so, what im curious about is whether you folks have any advice on single ba or minimally sized multi-ba sets that would sit deep in the ear canal with a molded shell. i need the mems microphone i will be using to sit deep in the conch to get closest to natural pinna gain. so both small diameter and short length is important.
im currently looking at the rab-32257 with green filters for an er4xr like sound. but id love it if i could make something that has greater technical ability for critical listening and mastering as im a musician. anyway, any advice on compact options would be greatly appreciated!
im also curious whether anyone has info on the symphonium helios or hidition viento in terms of drivers. im curious as to what secret sauce theyve got to trade blows with 8+ ba or tribrid iems, other than the 4 way crossover?
lastly, im curious whether any folks have tried to use individual dacs for each group of drivers to create a digital crossover system?

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2022 at 10:25 AM Post #14,577 of 16,068
basically im trying to make something with similar or better technical performance to the blessing 2 dusks, with decent coherence in a formfactor that can fit inside my inner ear canal. price is no object, and im pretty sure in a pinch ill be able to make them with the crossover circuit inside the behind the ear hooks of the tws iems. so the main goal is to find a design that has a diameter of less than 0.5cm, doesnt need long acoustic tubes, and has decent performance. obviously im totally down for some experimentation, so suggestions are welcome even if they arent tested.
edit: sorry for the double post. havent posted on a forum in a while lol

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #14,578 of 16,068
so, i got a few questions.
im working on a project that is basically audiophile hearing aids. basically im building something similar to a reciever in canal hearing aid as a pair of tws iems. so, what im curious about is whether you folks have any advice on single ba or minimally sized multi-ba sets that would sit deep in the ear canal with a molded shell. i need the mems microphone i will be using to sit deep in the conch to get closest to natural pinna gain. so both small diameter and short length is important.
im currently looking at the rab-32257 with green filters for an er4xr like sound. but id love it if i could make something that has greater technical ability for critical listening and mastering as im a musician. anyway, any advice on compact options would be greatly appreciated!
im also curious whether anyone has info on the symphonium helios or hidition viento in terms of drivers. im curious as to what secret sauce theyve got to trade blows with 8+ ba or tribrid iems, other than the 4 way crossover?
lastly, im curious whether any folks have tried to use individual dacs for each group of drivers to create a digital crossover system?
Ive done something that may be of interest...I have used a Rab 32257....5 MM tube length, NO DAMPER, removed the vent cover. In parallel, I used a ci22295 with a 1mm ID tube, 20+ length (diffuse field) with a green damper ON the ba spout. This let me get the rab into the canal and run the ci from far away. I didn't use crossovers or a damper on the rab...I used diameters and tube length where possible. Very easy but very effective.

Dec 15, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #14,579 of 16,068
Ive done something that may be of interest...I have used a Rab 32257....5 MM tube length, NO DAMPER, removed the vent cover. In parallel, I used a ci22295 with a 1mm ID tube, 20+ length (diffuse field) with a green damper ON the ba spout. This let me get the rab into the canal and run the ci from far away. I didn't use crossovers or a damper on the rab...I used diameters and tube length where possible. Very easy but very effective.
hmmmm interesting. i think the ci would have to be in the canal also for my plan to work. but it's an interesting idea to play around with.

Dec 15, 2022 at 1:09 PM Post #14,580 of 16,068
welp. pretty sure it wouldnt be possible to fit the ci-22955 in the canal (unless i had an unusually large ear canal, which i do not lol). maximising the natural pinna gain is kinda optimal for best positional tracking in hearing aids, but the trade-off is the severely limited space for drivers. i guess thats why most reciever in ear hearing aids use a single small full-range ba. if i accept that im going to fill up the conch i may be able to tetris a 3-4 driver design. any recommendations for a lows/mids/highs combo?
edit: i think im gonna try making 2 versions, one with the rab-32257 only and inside canal design, and a second one that has multiple drivers but fills the conch. still not certain on which drivers to use tho.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back