Home-Made IEMs
Dec 15, 2022 at 10:56 PM Post #14,581 of 16,089
is the fed-30048 no longer available? i cant find them on aliexpress. been reading through a bunch of old recipes and i wanna try the finale 2 after reading all the folks gushing over it lol
edit: nevermind, i see i can get them from mouser

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2022 at 2:10 AM Post #14,582 of 16,089
hi @dhruvmeena96 ive been reading through some of your older posts. i saw you mention that the finale 2 is an old design now. do you have any recommendations for 1 or 2 ba designs that are fairly modern?
im thinking of giving your perfected RAB design a go as well. so im particularly interested in a 2 ba design i can cross compare with the RAB and my blessing 2 dusks.

Dec 16, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #14,583 of 16,089
does anyone know where to get 3mm ID iem nozzles? im having a hard time finding any nozzles on aliexpress. (i would complain about 3d printer folks filling up the "nozzle" results, but im very much one of them lol)
also if anyone knows where to get 1.2mm ID 2mm OD tubing, that would be helpful. i can use 1mm ID in a pinch, but rab-p calls for 1.2mm apparently.

Dec 16, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #14,585 of 16,089
"Sound mouth" is a good search term for nozzles
i didnt manage to find any with that search term, but i did find some with "earphone mouth" and even more with "earphone sound hole", so big thanks for the suggestion!

im gonna order some 3.37mm ID ones. a little larger than the 3mm recommended. but they look good

edit: now it looks like aliexpress was just being an arse, cos i found some with the sound nozzle in the title

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2022 at 3:20 AM Post #14,587 of 16,089
Can't sort by lowest price, aliexpress will show you what it wants to show you. Find a decent deal and shop the rest of that store is my usual strategy
i know lol. best match was taking one look at the word "nozzle" and throwing hundreds of listings for 3d printer nozzles. ignoring the fact that the actual search was "sound nozzle" or "iem nozzle"

Dec 17, 2022 at 4:54 AM Post #14,588 of 16,089
the finale 2 doesnt have the flatest of midranges. i was wondering what you folks think of adding a bit more of a crossover circuit to attenuate the ed-30761. try and push it more into bass shelf territory instead of covering up a lot of the lower midrange? either that or adjusting the sound path/damping to give it more of a low-pass effect.
i dont yet have a measurement rig, but id like to make one sometime next year. so at least until then, im wondering if any of you folks tried some of this stuff?

edit: (im also low-key curious as to whether anyone has done a rab-p like build for the fed)
edit2: (oh wait, thats basically dhruv's final 1)

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2022 at 5:41 AM Post #14,589 of 16,089
i think a first or second order crossover at 150hz might be enough to eliminate its interference in the lower mids. let the fed shine all the way to the end of the mids. i may be misunderstanding the purpose of the ed tho. its fr just looks all bass and lower mids. i feel like it may be better to swap it out for something with more of a deeper bass/subbass focus. maybe the sonion 38d1x subwoofers. tho that may be too big for my purposes anyway, depending on whether i go for entirely in the ear canal or partly in the conch design. i may do a partly in the conch design anyway cos that would be more accomodating for the long length of the fed's tubing.

Dec 17, 2022 at 7:54 AM Post #14,590 of 16,089
i think a first or second order crossover at 150hz might be enough to eliminate its interference in the lower mids. let the fed shine all the way to the end of the mids. i may be misunderstanding the purpose of the ed tho. its fr just looks all bass and lower mids. i feel like it may be better to swap it out for something with more of a deeper bass/subbass focus. maybe the sonion 38d1x subwoofers. tho that may be too big for my purposes anyway, depending on whether i go for entirely in the ear canal or partly in the conch design. i may do a partly in the conch design anyway cos that would be more accomodating for the long length of the fed's tubing.
I have built all the MASM designs and they are very accurate. For my taste though and in my opinion only, I found I needed to add some bass in order to achieve what I wanted. This isn't a knock on the designs, it's simply my preference. Thats when I began taking CI22955's and putting a green filter at the spout then attaching a long 1 mm tube as a diffuse field. I did this on all the designs where I could and the results give much more impact on the bottom end.

Dec 17, 2022 at 8:16 AM Post #14,591 of 16,089
I have built all the MASM designs and they are very accurate. For my taste though and in my opinion only, I found I needed to add some bass in order to achieve what I wanted. This isn't a knock on the designs, it's simply my preference. Thats when I began taking CI22955's and putting a green filter at the spout then attaching a long 1 mm tube as a diffuse field. I did this on all the designs where I could and the results give much more impact on the bottom end.
yeah. the tuning looks good on the finale 2, its just that it doesnt really approach the harman/ief neutral mids that i currently have a bit of a preference for. at least according to one persons measurements, it starts rising slowly at around 1khz, whereas id like to keep it to a bass shelf. so maybe going with ci22955s or 38d1x instead of the ed-30761 might push all that into a shelf, leaving the mids flatter. while giving more of a distinct kick in the bass. my two daily driver iems rn are the blessing 2 dusk and the letshuoer s12. the blessing 2 dusks sound waaaay more natural to my ears. (tho i managed to damage them, blockng the DD in the left ear), hence im eventually aiming for a tuning that is closer to them. plus im defo not adverse to some heavy in your face bass lol. just as long as it stays in the bass region.

edit: this is assuming the lower mids are decent on the fed. which i cant find a definitive answer on reading through this thread

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2022 at 8:45 AM Post #14,592 of 16,089
the big downside i see with both the 22955 and 38d1x is that they are the larger sizes of ba drivers, which just arent likely gonna fit inside an ear canal. so its really weighing up that trade-off. losing the bass that i can feel in my soul, or losing the size aspect that would make transparency mode, on my finished tws design, incredible. now if i can a decent subwoofer that matches the ed30781 in physical size, id be golden. but as bass is all about moving air, im not sure thats possible

Dec 17, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #14,593 of 16,089
now, with a crossover working as a low-pass for the ed-30781 and an L-pad lowering the relative volume of the fed, it may be possible to get some decent subbass in the same formfactor. but id be worried about how the ed holds up once raised to normal listening levels. it may end up distorted as all ****. or just have nasty bass characteristics. i dunno. either way, im not adverse to getting my hands dirty with electronics. last year i designed my own wireless steno keyboard, so im fairly familiar with kicad and circuit design in general. plus im already working on the tws aspects of this device, and let me tell ya, that is gonna suck to solder.

edit: i think for now i will just go with the standard final 2 and then do an alternate circuit for it once i get a measurement rig

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back