Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Oct 7, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #2,161 of 4,063
hello guys ,

would like to update the gustard u12 with a more performant DCC --- > any suggestion ?

I contacted denafrips for the iris DCC but apparently iris will not match with holo dac .
I foun don an other forum confirmation of not compatibility between gaia DCCand holo dac ...

That's impossible. All the Iris does it convert the signal from your PC to your DAC. It will work.

Oct 16, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #2,164 of 4,063
Can some one help me- deciding on maybe gtting out of my D90 by Topping and going R2R - really quick Denfrips Aries 2 or Holo Spring 2? Why

Oct 16, 2020 at 8:49 PM Post #2,165 of 4,063
Can some one help me- deciding on maybe gtting out of my D90 by Topping and going R2R - really quick Denfrips Aries 2 or Holo Spring 2? Why

I've not tried d90 or the aries.
But transitioning from an xsabre pro to holo spring 2, the sensation experienced is, music seems a little bit more relaxed and less hurried. Vocals and low end have more weight and density. For lack of a better word, musicality comes to mind (I know some folks loathe this word as a descriptor...)
I didn't immediately perceive the holographic sensation some people have reported with the spring 2, rather, I did get it much more with the Wavelight.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #2,167 of 4,063
anyone use Aries 2 and compared to Holo?

Oct 19, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #2,168 of 4,063

I chose Armature Asterion (which is rebranded Holo Spring) over Aries based on two things I read. First was that most people said Spring was better in NOS mode which is IMO the real reason to get a r2r dac in the first place. Secondly, the description of their difference in bass presentation in post #508 in the Aries thread sounded like I would not like the Aries' bass. The post says the Spring has a larger, "area"-like bass sound while the Aries has a tighter bass that sounds like it's coming from a small speaker in a specific location.

I figured I've had other dacs before that had that kind of difference between them in bass presentation and my preference is the wider, larger, room-filling type of bass sound so I went with the AA. Which I liked enough to get to the May as well.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #2,169 of 4,063
I chose Armature Asterion (which is rebranded Holo Spring) over Aries based on two things I read. First was that most people said Spring was better in NOS mode which is IMO the real reason to get a r2r dac in the first place. Secondly, the description of their difference in bass presentation in post #508 in the Aries thread sounded like I would not like the Aries' bass. The post says the Spring has a larger, "area"-like bass sound while the Aries has a tighter bass that sounds like it's coming from a small speaker in a specific location.

I figured I've had other dacs before that had that kind of difference between them in bass presentation and my preference is the wider, larger, room-filling type of bass sound so I went with the AA. Which I liked enough to get to the May as well.
You own both Holo Audio May Kitsune tuned, Armature Asterion?

Oct 19, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #2,170 of 4,063
You own both Holo Audio May Kitsune tuned, Armature Asterion?

Yes, I've got the AA set up in another room after getting the May. Can't really afford two Mays. And even if I did it doesn't really fit on my nightstand :dt880smile:

Oct 19, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #2,172 of 4,063
Oct 22, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #2,174 of 4,063
I am eyeing a Holo Spring Lev 2 as a step up from my current Ares2. The other Dacs I am considering are Chord Qutest and Denafrips Pontus. I believe all of them are great. I am just not sure which one I should get. Anyone here could share some more info?

Oct 22, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #2,175 of 4,063
It's a personal thing and for that money it would be good if you can spend some time listening to the DAC with the rest of your system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back