Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
May 27, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #2,146 of 4,058
How is the Spring 2 Level 1 compared to a Schiit Gungnir Multibit, when used solely via USB?

(No other Gadgets in between like most reviews have)

May 29, 2020 at 4:06 AM Post #2,148 of 4,058
Hey guys,

Still trying to decide on which Spring to get - I have the option of getting a Level 3 Spring 1 for $2k or the Spring 2 for $1.7k. Which would have the better sound quality or is it negligible and I should go with the cheaper option?
If you’re going through usb, spring 2.

If you’re going i2s, definitely kte gen 1 because its got nice upgrade components and Spring 2’s main change over the original is mainly the vastly improved USB section.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
May 30, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #2,150 of 4,058
Does anyone know if you use the XLR and RCA outputs at the same time?

Yes, you can.
I'm using xlr out to my headphone amp, and RCA out to my avr.

May 30, 2020 at 10:33 PM Post #2,151 of 4,058
If you’re going through usb, spring 2.

If you’re going i2s, definitely kte gen 1 because its got nice upgrade components and Spring 2’s main change over the original is mainly the vastly improved USB section.

wow no kidding - I got a pi2aes for this exact reason. Maybe I’ll hold off then. My only concern is that the voltage for balanced is not the standard 4V. Is there a concern of blowing my amp up if it expects the 4V input voltage?

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #2,152 of 4,058
The May has been out since December 2019. The published measurements were absolutely fabulous. I would have expected that by now the net would be flooded with enthusiastic reviews and reports. I wonder why this is not the case. I myself am seriously tempted.

Jun 5, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #2,154 of 4,058
The May has been out since December 2019. The published measurements were absolutely fabulous. I would have expected that by now the net would be flooded with enthusiastic reviews and reports. I wonder why this is not the case. I myself am seriously tempted.
I think many impressed by May got a spring I or II. The May is another price class, perhaps too steep for most!

Oct 1, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #2,156 of 4,058
I'm liking Spring 2 KTE more then the Chord Hugo TT2 mainly because I notice a shout every once in awhile where the Holo is smooth and warm.

I was trying an HDMI cable out of my computer into the i2s port but the DAC would not unlock so what do I need to do to get this going?

Oct 1, 2020 at 9:41 PM Post #2,157 of 4,058
I'm liking Spring 2 KTE more then the Chord Hugo TT2 mainly because I notice a shout every once in awhile where the Holo is smooth and warm.

I was trying an HDMI cable out of my computer into the i2s port but the DAC would not unlock so what do I need to do to get this going?

The hdmi ports have to be i2s config on both sides. High chance your pc port is the standard hdmi topology (?).

Either have a source with dedicated i2s out or use a ddc eg denafrips gaia, Singxer etc etc

I have tried the i2s and usb inputs into the Holo spring 2 and I find the i2s a whole lot better performing.

Oct 2, 2020 at 2:42 AM Post #2,158 of 4,058

PC HDMI is not audio I2s as Roasty explained

Oct 2, 2020 at 7:44 PM Post #2,159 of 4,058
Thanks for the info. Maybe next year I'll think about getting DDC.

Oct 7, 2020 at 4:11 AM Post #2,160 of 4,058
The U12 is pretty good in its own right TBH...

hello guys ,

would like to update the gustard u12 with a more performant DCC --- > any suggestion ?

I contacted denafrips for the iris DCC but apparently iris will not match with holo dac .
I foun don an other forum confirmation of not compatibility between gaia DCCand holo dac ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back