Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Oct 22, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #2,176 of 4,063
I'm liking Spring 2 KTE more then the Chord Hugo TT2 mainly because I notice a shout every once in awhile where the Holo is smooth and warm.

I was trying an HDMI cable out of my computer into the i2s port but the DAC would not unlock so what do I need to do to get this going?

Wow, that's such an accomplishment. I am thinking about either a Qutest or a Spring lev 2 which are a step down from your gears. But maybe you could offer me more about how would you describe the difference between Chord vs Holo?

Oct 22, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #2,177 of 4,063
It's a personal thing and for that money it would be good if you can spend some time listening to the DAC with the rest of your system.
I wish so. But unfortunately, its seems not possible. One is because of the pandemic. Second its because both Denafrips and Holo get very few distributors globally. So not really a possible to have an audition in the near future.

Oct 22, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #2,178 of 4,063
I wish so. But unfortunately, its seems not possible. One is because of the pandemic. Second its because both Denafrips and Holo get very few distributors globally. So not really a possible to have an audition in the near future.
Denafrips yeah, no way to trial one but you do have some idea from your Ares II. But there should be Holo dealers in Switzerland, no? The Holo is sold under several brand names.

Oct 22, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #2,179 of 4,063
Denafrips yeah, no way to trial one but you do have some idea from your Ares II. But there should be Holo dealers in Switzerland, no? The Holo is sold under several brand names.
There is one, but quite far for me. It's mainly the pandemic issue ATM. I am playing with my Ares II every day for like half-a-year. I wish it could be more resolving but like the musicality.

Oct 22, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #2,180 of 4,063
There is one, but quite far for me. It's mainly the pandemic issue ATM. I am playing with my Ares II every day for like half-a-year. I wish it could be more resolving but like the musicality.
Maybe you prefer R2R DACs? Seems to me Chord can be very analytical, not as warm some. But they are very resolving yeah. I didn't hear the Qutest but I heard the Hugo 2.

What about Rockna? It gets very good reviews along with the Holos.

I wonder if any shops are doing demos where they ship you the device to try out. Seems like gear that costs this much should come with good service.

Oct 22, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #2,181 of 4,063
This is puzzling. I searched the thread. Some say the Chord Hugo 2 get better depth, other say Spring 2 has. I do prefer the dac with better sense of depth. I will very intriguing when I can sense the soundstage depth through stereo.

Nov 4, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #2,182 of 4,063
I've not tried d90 or the aries.
But transitioning from an xsabre pro to holo spring 2, the sensation experienced is, music seems a little bit more relaxed and less hurried. Vocals and low end have more weight and density. For lack of a better word, musicality comes to mind (I know some folks loathe this word as a descriptor...)
I didn't immediately perceive the holographic sensation some people have reported with the spring 2, rather, I did get it much more with the Wavelight.
Can you elaborate a bit more? Did your impressions stay the same? Do you like the switch you made or not? What is your rig? Which setups did you use on the Sabre?

I have a xsabre Pro demo atm and while it's the best dac i've had so far i'm considering buying a Holo Spring 2 Level 2 because in all Dacs so far i miss a bit of emotions. I never had any R2R or Nos dac.

Nov 4, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #2,184 of 4,063
Can you elaborate a bit more? Did your impressions stay the same? Do you like the switch you made or not? What is your rig? Which setups did you use on the Sabre?

I have a xsabre Pro demo atm and while it's the best dac i've had so far i'm considering buying a Holo Spring 2 Level 2 because in all Dacs so far i miss a bit of emotions. I never had any R2R or Nos dac.

yes, i did enjoy the switch to R2R. so much so, i sold both the xsabre pro and benchmark dac3b.
i used the gsxmini and woo audio22 with the xsabrepro.

if u have xsabrepro and get the holo, you will get two different flavours of sound for sure. both are great dacs. give the holo a shot; you might love it or hate it. in the end, it will boil down to your own personal preference.

*edit

If it's emotion you're looking for, I find perhaps the xsabre is a bit too "clean" to evoke that sensation. It is, however extremely accurate and very versatile (input/output options and user settings). It is also built like a tank.

Rather than the Spring, have u looked at the May?

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #2,185 of 4,063
yes, i did enjoy the switch to R2R. so much so, i sold both the xsabre pro and benchmark dac3b.
i used the gsxmini and woo audio22 with the xsabrepro.

if u have xsabrepro and get the holo, you will get two different flavours of sound for sure. both are great dacs. give the holo a shot; you might love it or hate it. in the end, it will boil down to your own personal preference.

*edit

If it's emotion you're looking for, I find perhaps the xsabre is a bit too "clean" to evoke that sensation. It is, however extremely accurate and very versatile (input/output options and user settings). It is also built like a tank.

Rather than the Spring, have u looked at the May?
Yes but May is too expensive

Nov 15, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #2,186 of 4,063
I'm liking Spring 2 KTE more then the Chord Hugo TT2 mainly because I notice a shout every once in awhile where the Holo is smooth and warm.

Oh wow. What type of music do you listen to?

Nov 15, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #2,187 of 4,063
Dec 3, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #2,188 of 4,063
Hello everybody. I am a new owner of the Holo Spring 2 Level 1 (One week so far). I liked it with my Schiit Vali 2 but I'm having some troubles with the pairing of the Audio GD M9. Anybody have any success with the sound without the SU-1 and its variants? Or is it an essential part of getting the best sound out of it? (I'm using an AudioQuest Forest USB into the PC right now.)

It's very peaky and shouty in the treble regions right now (For certain albums). I also know that burn-in is essential for these too. I saw between 100-280 hours for some people. Anyone else using the Master 9 with their Spring DAC?

Dec 4, 2020 at 7:48 AM Post #2,190 of 4,063
I got the Master 9 as an upgrade. I am starting to hear some positive changes from burning in. It is sounding better so I think it's a good match.

Update:

I changed to my single ended copper cable and that solved the sound problem. I have to search for an all copper balanced cable cable. (The balanced cable I had was a silver-plated copper cable.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back