Holo Audio May DAC Speculation
Sep 2, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #46 of 1,280
If it is my money, ill go for KTE.
I have the capacity for L2 and for $700 more a KTE.

So will rather wait a bit for that $700 difference and enjoy Holo Spring's TOTL. Than spend now for an L2 and be hunted by the WHAT IF'S if have bought the KTE instead.

Sep 12, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #49 of 1,280
Hi, I've had my May KTE for about one and a half months and here are my brief impressions.

I can compare it to my previous dac, the Armature Asterion which is an upgraded (usb module, power button on front) Holo Audio Spring rebranded for the French/EU markets. I've been using the May mostly with my Little Dot mkVI+ balanced tube amp and my extensively modified M1060Cs (and also with the other HP:s in my signature and the Audeze LCD2CCB's that I recently sold).

The first thing that strikes about the May compared to the AA is the much increased soundstage depth/clarity which is simply on another level. There is more clarity, detail and separation everywhere. The next thing that drew my attention was the superlatively controlled, detailed and textured bass that is the best that I have heard. The delta sigma dacs I've had don't come close.

While tube re-rolling after installing the May I found that the tubes with the best treble detail I've got (Shuguang “Nature Sound” 6SN7-T and 6SL7-T) that had sounded slightly coarse, dry and harsh with the AA are none of that with the May and they're just detailed and airy instead (the Nature Sound 6SN7-T is now my favourite driver tube with the LDmkVI+).

I ordered the May semi-blindly after having the AA and deciding that it is what I want the best version of. It is the most expensive hifi product I've had (actually it's the most expensive non-vehicle, non- real estate property I've owned) and it doesn't disappoint. It's got more of everything good like is often said about absolute high-end products. Here it holds true. It has the same kind of natural sound as the AA but with more of everything and the sound still being natural. That's the reason why one would want one.

P_20200724_173828.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2020 at 8:44 PM Post #51 of 1,280
I have been comparing the may to my previous dac, musical paradise mp-d2(1500 as configured) with my Abyss ab1266 tc and audio gd master 9 amp.

Before I start I want to provide a little bit of background. I started this hobby with iems. In the portable world, I have listed to all totl dap, cables, iem, and portable amps under the sun. However, the market for full size electronics are much much bigger and I have only one dac to compare it with. Since my older dac is far from mainstream, my comparisons probably hold no usable information for many. But since this dac has very little coverage, I will write mine.

The tone between the two dacs are very similar with a natural holographic sound. Out of the box, I listened quickly to some tracks on Tidal(which didn't help) and didn't notice any changes. I was afraid I could have used the money on a cable or amp which changed a tone more noticeably. To better compare the two dacs, I plugged in both dacs to my pc and connected both to my amp. With this setup I could go from one dac to another without cable changes.

The first thing I noticed was the bass. It was the most controlled impactful bass ive heard on my headphones. I was planning to change my amp because of the lack of body on the master 9(its a very flat amp) but with the addition of the dac, I don't feel the need anymore.

The midrange was smoother and cleaner but more forward on the may. I hadn't noticed before but the mpd2 had a slight distortion or haze in the vocals.

Compared to the may, the mpd2's highs sound a little flatter with less texture and was a bit dryer

While the quality and quantity change in the bass was the most noticeable, I can most appreciate imaging and sound stage from the May. When playing fast and complex tracks, the mpd2 tends to flatten out to a wall of sound while on the may, the different sounds tend to float in their spaces around my head. the stage on the may is also larger in width, but significantly deeper.(this may be from the changes in the bass where it is easier to feel the bass fill up the stage). Hight of the stage tended to be similar.

While these are the things I noticed during my critical listening sessions, throughout the day, my headphones were "disappearing" more often. All the changes mentioned above were small incremental changes, but when added up, they push my system over the edge to where it is able to trick my brain. With my goal to get my system to sound as natural and real as possible, the changes the May brought was substantial. With diminishing returns, the cost is high for that small push over the edge. But to those already interested in this dac, I'm guessing that last 1% is very valuable.

While I wish I could compare this to the terminator and r7he, and the Dave to give more practical purchase decision making information, all I can say is that the May is a neutral smooth dac with outstanding imaging/staging. It is free of digital sheen and is full of ambiance and air. Compared to a distant memory of running my headphones on the Hugo TT, the hugo might have had a tad more microdetail but was nowhere close to sounding as natural or fluid.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask :)

Sep 26, 2020 at 4:53 AM Post #52 of 1,280
@honeyjjack

-By any chance do you have a wattage meter? (ex: Kill a Watt) if so, could you check how many watts the May KTE consumes? I know on the website it's marked as 60 watts, however it can be different from what the customer gets.

-Do any of the boxes feel particularly warm to touch?

Thanks for your impressions! I'm so very curious about the Holo May. You noted "Most Controlled impactful bass" which i'm really wondering about since I feel like my Rocka Wavelight is lacking juuuuust a tad on the bass impact. I'm thinking that maybe the Holo May can fill that void.

Sep 26, 2020 at 6:24 AM Post #53 of 1,280
I sadly do not have a wattage meter :frowning2: I have the May placed on top of my amp which gets hot. The May in this configuration runs hot but just cool enough to keep your hands on them. The amp I cant keep my hand on for over a couple seconds. I bet this config is not the best but due to space issues it will have to do for now. The Wavelight seems like a r2r in the same price range. I wonder how it would compare.

Sep 30, 2020 at 7:33 AM Post #54 of 1,280
@honeyjjack

-By any chance do you have a wattage meter? (ex: Kill a Watt) if so, could you check how many watts the May KTE consumes? I know on the website it's marked as 60 watts, however it can be different from what the customer gets.

-Do any of the boxes feel particularly warm to touch?

Hi, I checked the temperature by leaving a thermometer on top of the box and leaving the dac on overnight. The meter said 37 degrees celsius. I have the LD mkVI+ balanced tube amp stacked on top of it which has intake fans on bottom and if I have the amp turned on, the dac box temperature drops two degrees to 35.

The box feels warm but not very hot like a tube amp or a cramped dap could or would.

Also checked the power consumption over a few minutes in various modes of operation with a wattage meter and the consumption was between 42 and 45 watts.

Sep 30, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #55 of 1,280
Hi, I checked the temperature by leaving a thermometer on top of the box and leaving the dac on overnight. The meter said 37 degrees celsius. I have the LD mkVI+ balanced tube amp stacked on top of it which has intake fans on bottom and if I have the amp turned on, the dac box temperature drops two degrees to 35.

The box feels warm but not very hot like a tube amp or a cramped dap could or would.

Also checked the power consumption over a few minutes in various modes of operation with a wattage meter and the consumption was between 42 and 45 watts.

Ah excellent! Thanks @CopperFox That is definitely what I'm looking for!

Hmmm I'm more and more inclined to switch to a May now as it looks like it'll fit my tastes more.

Oct 6, 2020 at 6:38 AM Post #56 of 1,280
I welcome everyone!
I am the owner of Holo May Level 2. Made a review / comparison from memory with previous versions of Holo Spring - I had both the first and second versions of Spring.

If anyone is interested in my Russian-language review, please go here.
And also my second impression, after several days of warming up: here.

Google translator to help you.
I hope someone will find my experience useful.

Oct 6, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #57 of 1,280
I welcome everyone!
I am the owner of Holo May Level 2. Made a review / comparison from memory with previous versions of Holo Spring - I had both the first and second versions of Spring.

If anyone is interested in my Russian-language review, please go here.
And also my second impression, after several days of warming up: here.

Google translator to help you.
I hope someone will find my experience useful.

Thank you for that review. The big takeaway I had from your review is that the May DAC is very neutral sounding compared to the Spring DACs, which was unexpected. I had been expecting more of the same house sound and is part of what enticed me about the May DAC.

Would you mind sharing what equipment you auditioned it with (e.g. amp, headphone or speakers, etc.)?

Oct 6, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #58 of 1,280
The big takeaway I had from your review is that the May DAC is very neutral sounding compared to the Spring DACs, which was unexpected.

That's right - the DAC is really neutral.

Would you mind sharing what equipment you auditioned it with (e.g. amp, headphone or speakers, etc.)?

Ear tract: iMac 2017> Roon + Tidal Hi-Fi> Holo Audio May> Balanced Beta 22> Abyss AB-1266 Phi CC.
Cable set: USB - RAL, interblock - RAL XLR, power - Sergst tops.
Acoustic triphonic: Airpulse A100 + sub Bowers & Wilkins PV1

2.jpg

Oct 13, 2020 at 12:40 PM Post #60 of 1,280
That's right - the DAC is really neutral.

Ear tract: iMac 2017> Roon + Tidal Hi-Fi> Holo Audio May> Balanced Beta 22> Abyss AB-1266 Phi CC.
Cable set: USB - RAL, interblock - RAL XLR, power - Sergst tops.
Acoustic triphonic: Airpulse A100 + sub Bowers & Wilkins PV1

2.jpg
What rack is that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back