Holo Audio Red Streamer
Mar 28, 2024 at 8:09 AM Post #1,652 of 1,846
1711627711836.png

Thank you for the link but I just don't see it on the pages you referenced. It certainly could be me...

Mar 28, 2024 at 8:14 AM Post #1,653 of 1,846
1711627711836.png

Thank you for the link but I just don't see it on the pages you referenced. It certainly could be me...
It is the first one but mistakenly labeled as 2020216 instead of 20240216... Unfortunately that didn't work for me (device boots but software cause force shut down because it thinks i have wrong serial number...) If that didnt work for you also, you could download the 20221228-2G and do all the updates... Mine worked this way...

Mar 28, 2024 at 4:45 PM Post #1,656 of 1,846
HQe is already included in the HQPlayer OS. So you can use the Red as Roon endpoint or also stream via NAA to it (also in HQPlayer)
For me, it doesn't makes any sense to install HQPlayer on a RPi4 board.
Only low level filters for pcm are working there without dropouts.
The only argument for the HQPlayer OS on the Red, can be that you'll get with it newer drivers btw. more updates than with the NAA image.

Mar 28, 2024 at 5:27 PM Post #1,657 of 1,846
So there is going to be a firmware update available in a couple weeks which will restore the ability to enable multiple services at a time.

The user will be able to choose 'performance mode' which provides slightly lower latency, but can only use one service at a time. Or "Compatible mode" which will allow you to use multiple services as before

Mar 28, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #1,658 of 1,846
So there is going to be a firmware update available in a couple weeks which will restore the ability to enable multiple services at a time.

The user will be able to choose 'performance mode' which provides slightly lower latency, but can only use one service at a time. Or "Compatible mode" which will allow you to use multiple services as before
And hopefully most current version of NAA…

Mar 28, 2024 at 6:19 PM Post #1,659 of 1,846
it seems I need to learn alot to optimize red, and I feel a bit overwhelmed, i did not anticipate when buying the red that I need to be that knowledgeable bout all he tech talk here, thought it would be more plug and play

so i got the red so from what i understand is i need to flash a different software on the red

my goal is to have the best sound quality of using the red with my spring 3 and using roon using usb

to be honest i have no idea from where to start

is there a newbie guide to follow

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 6:33 PM Post #1,660 of 1,846
it seems I need to learn alot to optimize red, and I feel a bit overwhelmed, i did not anticipate when buying the red that I need to be that knowledgeable bout all he tech talk here, thought it would be more plug and play

Well the Holo Red is also very easy to plug & play - just use the default firmware and do updates there via the web/browser interface. The very latest firmware from this week also features a new performance mode that improved sound quality.
There is also a new user guide here: https://www.kitsunehifi.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/03/Red_User_Guide_20240326.pdf

The other option (to flash a SD card with another image like HQPlayerOS etc. - which is also described in the user guide) is just if you are willing to invest some more time and are somewhat computer savvy - in return you will be able to further tweak the potential of the Red and its sound quality.

Mar 28, 2024 at 6:42 PM Post #1,661 of 1,846
For me, it doesn't makes any sense to install HQPlayer on a RPi4 board.
Only low level filters for pcm are working there without dropouts.
The only argument for the HQPlayer OS on the Red, can be that you'll get with it newer drivers btw. more updates than with the NAA image.
Do you own the Holo Red? It supports DSD1024 and PCM1536K.
Sure very intensive filters should be running on HQPlayer Desktop, which can then be transfer via NAA to the Holo Red.
And if you own a Red you should really compare the Red OS vs. HQPlayerOS which makes a difference in sound quality. Also many users report about that in the main thread over at Audiophilestyle forum.

Mar 28, 2024 at 7:27 PM Post #1,662 of 1,846

so i got the red so from what i understand is i need to flash a different software on the red

my goal is to have the best sound quality of using the red with my spring 3 and using roon using usb

You don't need to flash anything different. You can just use the included red os

Mar 28, 2024 at 8:14 PM Post #1,664 of 1,846

Hahloe

How are your boxes connected?

Mar 28, 2024 at 10:31 PM Post #1,665 of 1,846
Received my Red yesterday, very pleased so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back