Holo Audio Red Streamer
Mar 29, 2024 at 12:12 PM Post #1,681 of 1,911
Do you own the Holo Red? It supports DSD1024 and PCM1536K.
Sure very intensive filters should be running on HQPlayer Desktop, which can then be transfer via NAA to the Holo Red.
And if you own a Red you should really compare the Red OS vs. HQPlayerOS which makes a difference in sound quality. Also many users report about that in the main thread over at Audiophilestyle forum.
Sure, I'm owning since a longer time the Red, the May and HQPlayer.
Also used different distributions (RedOS, Ropieee, Jussi's NAA,...) for the Red.
And surely my HQPlayer is installed on a dedicated PC with an Intel i9.
Mostly I'm using upsampling (and filters for some cans) to DSD256 or DSD512, but for me (again) it don't makes sense to install an embedded HQPlayer on the Red. That's all, what I've written...

Mar 29, 2024 at 2:37 PM Post #1,682 of 1,911
greetings

can someone tell me is this how I should set up my red os latest update which is used via usb to holo spring 3, using ethernet on red

on roon what settings shall i dial in, listening to tidal via roon

using nos on spring 3

for the time being I would like kindly help in dialing the settings for roon and red using usb and ethenet, and I have no intent for some time to flash another software

update : definitely I am not liking connecting the red to spring 3 using the settings in the pics, its veiled and too v shaped and mids are sucked out

when I remove the red and use the same usb cable straight to spring 3 the sound is way way better

I dont know what settings I am dialing in wrong

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-03-29 at 20.35.22.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-03-29 at 20.35.22.jpeg
    93.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024 at 9:15 AM Post #1,684 of 1,911
@Sound Eq
I just updated my Red tonight to 2024.03.27 and this is exactly how I have the Red configured.
I'm using USB → Holo Audio UAC2.0 Gen 2.1 Enhanced to my Holo Spring 3 KTE without SQ issues whatsoever. Hope this helps.

Screen Shot 2024-03-30 at 1.16.48 AM.png
i switched to try out sueezebox and i see its upsampling is limited to 192, is that correct

Mar 30, 2024 at 3:27 PM Post #1,686 of 1,911
As far as I understand it--those are my Roon Audio choices for either DDC or streaming mode without powering off/on disconnecting/connecting USB (again--along with switching the source input on my Spring DAC).
I'm starting to wonder if anyone at all really knows how this unit is configured between DDC and streaming mode--and whether or not the directions on the Holo site are in fact correct?
reading many pages just led me to know that such devices are not user friendly, miss a simple plug and play product

it would just be great if somone does a simple write up of how to use it for example with roon and a spring 3 dac to get the best out of it

Mar 30, 2024 at 4:08 PM Post #1,687 of 1,911
greetings

can someone tell me is this how I should set up my red os latest update which is used via usb to holo spring 3, using ethernet on red

on roon what settings shall i dial in, listening to tidal via roon

using nos on spring 3

for the time being I would like kindly help in dialing the settings for roon and red using usb and ethenet, and I have no intent for some time to flash another software

update : definitely I am not liking connecting the red to spring 3 using the settings in the pics, its veiled and too v shaped and mids are sucked out

when I remove the red and use the same usb cable straight to spring 3 the sound is way way better

I dont know what settings I am dialing in wrong
You have told the hardware to convert DSD to Pcm, which it will do and will be your input format, unless you want DSD.
You set the rest via Roon in the settings such as upsampling, Mqa off, bit depth.
Then it should work without any problems.
The Roon software then takes over this part for every song you listen to until you set something else.
With the Hq Player you can use any filter that is almost infinite.
Roughly speaking, it's a sound bender, not quite like an EQ, but it goes roughly in this direction where something deeper goes in.
I'll leave reservations outside for now, because they don't contribute to the essentials.
This would also be the case if you use Audirvana or other players, which need to be adjusted if they allow it.
Not as blunt as the streaming provider apps where you can't set anything, the players are slightly more complex but sufficient.
The HQ player is more comprehensive and offers gimmicks that you pay for.

Mar 30, 2024 at 4:18 PM Post #1,689 of 1,911
You have told the hardware to convert DSD to Pcm, which it will do and will be your input format, unless you want DSD.
You set the rest via Roon in the settings such as upsampling, Mqa off, bit depth.
Then it should work without any problems.
The Roon software then takes over this part for every song you listen to until you set something else.
With the Hq Player you can use any filter that is almost infinite.
Roughly speaking, it's a sound bender, not quite like an EQ, but it goes roughly in this direction where something deeper goes in.
I'll leave reservations outside for now, because they don't contribute to the essentials.
This would also be the case if you use Audirvana or other players, which need to be adjusted if they allow it.
Not as blunt as the streaming provider apps where you can't set anything, the players are slightly more complex but sufficient.
The HQ player is more comprehensive and offers gimmicks that you pay for.
Thanks for explaining I did not do anything intentional as I am not understanding anything or how this works for best playback

What would u change in red settings and what setting would u dial in in roon to get the best playback using spring 3 and USB cable

I am not planing to use hq player

I just want to stream tidal via roon

Mar 30, 2024 at 4:24 PM Post #1,690 of 1,911
reading many pages just led me to know that such devices are not user friendly, miss a simple plug and play product

it would just be great if somone does a simple write up of how to use it for example with roon and a spring 3 dac to get the best out of it
Disregard that post I made--I was incorrect and forgot to go back and strike through it. Those are just 2 different Roon zones.
It's not complicated--check out the newer manual below (if you haven't already) it's a little easier to understand, or at least it was for me.

Attachments

• Holo Red Manual.pdf
    8.9 MB · Views: 0
Mar 30, 2024 at 4:32 PM Post #1,691 of 1,911
Disregard that post I made--I was incorrect and forgot to go back and strike through it. Those are just 2 different Roon zones.
It's not complicated--check out the newer manual below (if you haven't already) it's a little easier to understand, or at least it was for me.
is roon bridge in roon better than suqeezebox

with all respect, I am finding myself to be in zone that is not for me :)

all this manual is jiberish to me :)

maybe I should have just bought a lumin t3 and not worry about all this stuff

my brain is just cooked now from reading posts here and the manual to me is like an ancient language I am not able to understand at all :)

so I rest my case and will pray for someone who will write me what settings to dial in both roon and red os

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024 at 4:37 PM Post #1,693 of 1,911
Mar 30, 2024 at 4:55 PM Post #1,694 of 1,911
Thanks for explaining I did not do anything intentional as I am not understanding anything or how this works for best playback

What would u change in red settings and what setting would u dial in in roon to get the best playback using spring 3 and USB cable

I am not planing to use hq player

I just want to stream tidal via roon
Well, it depends.
In Roon you can only select the bit depth and upsampling.
Which one you choose is your personal decision.
I listen to 32 bit and 96 khz on the Gustard R26 and that's enough for me.
Try out several settings until you have decided for yourself.
I would add a tip for the bit depth on Spring 3. I wouldn't go below 24 because it plays up to 20bit.
The Gustard can only do 15 bits.
I would therefore set it to a minimum of 24 bit and play with the sampling whether 96, 192, 394 khz and more or even DSD is up to you.
Also because amplifiers and headphones also play a role if the part is only smaller, it has an influence on it.
I2S is somewhat more resolving and more delicate than USB.
This is also a matter of taste for the listener.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back