Holo Audio Red Streamer
Mar 28, 2024 at 10:50 PM Post #1,666 of 1,853
I just purchased an (used) Holo May and Holo Red. Am having a problem getting usb connection working. I2S worked out of the box. Did some searching but don't see anything that fits as a resolution...

Red only has Roon service selected. Both I2S and USB cables between the Red and May. Only other cables in the Red is the network and power.

Roon sees the Red and happily sends media which I can hear from May only via I2S, nothing when USB input selected. Display shows DSD512x and never changes (content being sent is 64x). Roon not upsampling or anything. Red DSD set to Native.

Rebooted, disconnected power for several minutes etc. Nothing.

Ideas?

Cheers,
Robert

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 11:12 PM Post #1,667 of 1,853
I just purchased an (used) Holo May and Holo Red. Am having a problem getting usb connection working. I2S worked out of the box. Did some searching but don't see anything that fits as a resolution...

Red only has Roon service selected. Both I2S and USB cables between the Red and May. Only other cables in the Red is the network and power.

Roon sees the Red and happily sends media which I can hear from May only via I2S, nothing when USB input selected. Display shows DSD512x and never changes (content being sent is 64x). Roon not upsampling or anything. Red DSD set to Native.

Rebooted, disconnected power for several minutes etc. Nothing.

Ideas?

Cheers,
Robert
https://www.kitsunehifi.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/03/Red_User_Guide_20240326.pdf

Page 7. Change the device

1711682005818.png

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 11:40 PM Post #1,668 of 1,853
Wow. That is very strange, but I now see it as a separate entry under Roon in the Red homepage and enabled it. I swear that was not there before. So Roon sees these two interfaces as separate devices, so I now have two Reds in Roon. Weird, but OK I guess.

So a couple questions if you don't mind..

When listening to USB and then switching to I2S on the May, Roon no longer even sees the USB Red. And in fact if I hit refresh on the Reds homepage the USB entry under Roon is no longer there either. I have to set the May to USB and refresh the Reds homepage for the USB entry to show up again - and then Roon sees it again too... Kinda makes comparing the two inputs difficult!

One other thing. On the Red home page I have both entries set to Volume Control None and DSD Mode to Native. But when Roon is actually sending DSD material (DSF files) and I look at this page the one being used has changed from Native to PCM?

Cheers and thank you!
Robert

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 2:34 AM Post #1,670 of 1,853
Mar 29, 2024 at 5:41 AM Post #1,671 of 1,853
Excellent idea to store all those versions
That's correct--here you go:
Screen_Shot_2023-11-06_at_11.38.39_PM.png

Once you activate USB, all other outputs are DEACTIVATED!

Mar 29, 2024 at 8:04 AM Post #1,673 of 1,853
Do you've also the version 2023.04.15 found?
Added - thank you @subcoded

I would really like to get the latest version added but it appears everyone is updating within the Red interface. If past performance is indicative of future results, there will be an update and people will be scrambling to get the previous version.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 9:30 AM Post #1,675 of 1,853
Once you activate USB, all other outputs are DEACTIVATED!
This is not what I am observing. Almost the opposite in fact.

On both the Red's homepage and within Roon I only see the USB if the May is set to the USB input. If I change the input on the May to I2S, the USB option in Roon dissappears and also no longer is visible on the Red's homepage. So that's pretty odd in my mind and I'm struggling to make sense of that.

Note that the opposite isn't true - when the USB input is selected on the May, both USB and I2S are displayed options on the Red's home page and both devices are also available in Roon.

Cheers,
Robert

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 9:46 AM Post #1,676 of 1,853
This is not what I am observing. Almost the opposite in fact.

On both the Red's homepage and within Roon I only see the USB if the May is set to the USB input. If I change the input on the May to I2S, the USB option in Roon dissappears and also no longer is visible on the Red's homepage. So that's pretty odd in my mind and I'm struggling to make sense of that.

Note that the opposite isn't true - when the USB input is selected on the May, both USB and I2S are displayed options on the Red's home page and both devices are also available in Roon.

Cheers,
Robert

This is how it works. The USB input is only active when the input is selected on the May. When it is not selected, it is basically turned off. When it is turned off, the Red won’t see it.

Mar 29, 2024 at 10:02 AM Post #1,677 of 1,853
This is how it works. The USB input is only active when the input is selected on the May. When it is not selected, it is basically turned off. When it is turned off, the Red won’t see it.
Thank you very much for confirming what I am experiencing is expected behaviour. Seems odd to me, but so be it...

Any idea about my other question regarding how the Red's DSD setting, which I set to Native, changes to PCM when its actually processing a DSD stream? I mean, the May is showing its getting 64x or 128x or whatever, but the Red's homepage switching to PCM seems weird and confusing.

Cheers,
Robert

Mar 29, 2024 at 10:16 AM Post #1,679 of 1,853
Thank you very much for confirming what I am experiencing is expected behaviour. Seems odd to me, but so be it...

Any idea about my other question regarding how the Red's DSD setting, which I set to Native, changes to PCM when its actually processing a DSD stream? I mean, the May is showing its getting 64x or 128x or whatever, but the Red's homepage switching to PCM seems weird and confusing.

Cheers,
Rober

I am not sure to be honest. Don’t expect the Red will do conversion from PCM to DSD or visa versa. DSD Native or DoP I understand but PCM is unclear for me.

Mar 29, 2024 at 10:30 AM Post #1,680 of 1,853
Right, the Red certainly is not converting anything. I mean Roon can be configured to convert DSD to PCM before sending it out, but I don't have Roon doing any conversion at all. And the May is set to NOS and is correctly displaying what is expected. It just seems super weird that the Red's homepage setting for DSD changes like that when it's actually forwarding to the May.

Oh well, its seems to be working and sounding great. It's not like I'm fixated on some web page.. Lol.

Thanks again for the information.
Cheers,
Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

Back