Holo Audio Red Streamer
Apr 28, 2024 at 11:16 AM Post #1,846 of 1,911
New Red OS Update.... 2024.04.21.
1000002677.jpg

Apr 28, 2024 at 1:11 PM Post #1,847 of 1,911
New Red OS Update.... 2024.04.21. 1000002677.jpg
I wonder why they include HQPlayer NAA 5.0.0-59 when version 5.0.1-60 was released on April 3rd?

Apr 28, 2024 at 2:28 PM Post #1,848 of 1,911
I will sort for holo red purchase. But I haven’t yet developed the correct scheme for using it. I'm currently testing roon (trial) and bought hqplayer a few days ago.

Initially, I wanted to give up PC completely. I bought wiim pro plus, which is connected to hugo tt 2, and everything was fine. But after purchasing hqplayer, everything changed, I really liked its sound.

May KTE will arrive in 2 weeks.
I'm considering buying holo red as a Wiim transport replacement. I only listen to streaming services tidal and qobuz. There is no own music.

I liked roon and its integration with hqplayer. I currently have a Hugo TT 2 connected via a USB cable. The sound is very different from normal through wiim.

Question - why do I need holo red? If I can also connect May KTE to a PC via USB.

Will the difference in sound really be heard if the signal (PC > roon > hqplayer > network > red > may USB) from the PC goes over the network to holo red, which in turn is connected via usb to May KTE.

Apr 28, 2024 at 3:29 PM Post #1,849 of 1,911
I will sort for holo red purchase. But I haven’t yet developed the correct scheme for using it. I'm currently testing roon (trial) and bought hqplayer a few days ago.

Initially, I wanted to give up PC completely. I bought wiim pro plus, which is connected to hugo tt 2, and everything was fine. But after purchasing hqplayer, everything changed, I really liked its sound.

May KTE will arrive in 2 weeks.
I'm considering buying holo red as a Wiim transport replacement. I only listen to streaming services tidal and qobuz. There is no own music.

I liked roon and its integration with hqplayer. I currently have a Hugo TT 2 connected via a USB cable. The sound is very different from normal through wiim.

Question - why do I need holo red? If I can also connect May KTE to a PC via USB.

Will the difference in sound really be heard if the signal (PC > roon > hqplayer > network > red > may USB) from the PC goes over the network to holo red, which in turn is connected via usb to May KTE.
I'm using Spring 3 KTE with Holo Red via I2s with no dubts in my system sound a lot better then Roon Rock (on fanless i5 PC) via USB direct and also from the Red as a roon endpoint streamer and via USB to the DAC.

Apr 28, 2024 at 3:45 PM Post #1,850 of 1,911
I'm using Spring 3 KTE with Holo Red via I2s with no dubts in my system sound a lot better then Roon Rock (on fanless i5 PC) via USB direct and also from the Red as a roon endpoint streamer and via USB to the DAC.
Thanks for your feedback.

Do you use hqplayer? If so, through what channel are you transmitting data to Red? Via roon or directly with hqplayer?

Apr 28, 2024 at 4:12 PM Post #1,851 of 1,911
Thanks for your feedback.

Do you use hqplayer? If so, through what channel are you transmitting data to Red? Via roon or directly with hqplayer?
I tested HQplayer upsampling, interesting but at the end I'm back to NOS setting in my Holo Spring 3 KTE DAC, If you love acoustics music the natural and organic sound I think is the best in my taste. Holo Red add resolution and trasparency (and also a big soundstage), Also life licence to Roon, It's a must for my, best integration with my ripped CD and streaming service, very complete interface to explore a galaxys of music and artists.

Apr 29, 2024 at 12:48 AM Post #1,852 of 1,911
Tonight I noticed there was a new OS release on the Red configuration page (2024.04.27)--so after my listening session I installed the update and while installing it got stuck on 98%--waited 1/2hr and closed the page. Reopened the Red configuration page only to see 2 more options:

Compatibility Mode - Allow multiple services at a time

Performance Mode - Only one service at a time

What are the differences between these two new modes listed above? Mine defaulted to Compatibility Mode when I reopened the page.

Scrolled to the bottom of the page and instead of seeing OS Release 2024.04.27 I now see 2024.04.21?
Is anyone who installed the OS 2024.04.27 now seeing 2024.04.21 after installing? Remember--my install only went to 98% and I finally closed the page after a 1/2hr of waiting.

Screen Shot 2024-04-29 at 12.32.12 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-04-29 at 12.46.43 AM.png

EDIT:
PS: I do have playback using either of the new modes mentioned above.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2024 at 1:22 AM Post #1,853 of 1,911
After rethinking my question regarding the 2 new modes--am I correct in thinking Compatibility Mode is for selecting multiple streaming services at a time--and Performance Mode is for selecting a single streaming service only? If so--would there be any sound quality differences between the 2 modes (not the streaming services)?

Apr 29, 2024 at 11:18 PM Post #1,856 of 1,911
After rethinking my question regarding the 2 new modes--am I correct in thinking Compatibility Mode is for selecting multiple streaming services at a time--and Performance Mode is for selecting a single streaming service only? If so--would there be any sound quality differences between the 2 modes (not the streaming services)?
Yes. Performance will only run one service at a time, compatibility mode will allow multiple to run at a time.

Apr 29, 2024 at 11:33 PM Post #1,857 of 1,911
Yes. Performance will only run one service at a time, compatibility mode will allow multiple to run at a time.
Thank you for your response--I tested my thinking this afternoon and realized this is exactly what their differences are.
Would you mind letting me know the date of the latest OS update your Red configuration page is showing?

Apr 30, 2024 at 11:43 AM Post #1,858 of 1,911
Would you mind letting me know the date of the latest OS update your Red configuration page is showing?
The OS version is 2024.04.21. BTW, if you click on the grayed "log" button next to the version you will be shown a change log. There's seems to be a glitch in the updater where it doesn't show 100% completion (mine only showed 90%). If you refresh the browser window at the point the updater stops, you will see that the updater had actually completed.

May 1, 2024 at 12:29 AM Post #1,859 of 1,911
The OS version is 2024.04.21. BTW, if you click on the grayed "log" button next to the version you will be shown a change log. There's seems to be a glitch in the updater where it doesn't show 100% completion (mine only showed 90%). If you refresh the browser window at the point the updater stops, you will see that the updater had actually completed.
Could have sworn my update was 2024.04.27--but I guess I was mistaken because my newly installed update shows 2024.04.21--same as yours. My instal only went to 98%, so I waited a 1/2hr and it didn't move, so I closed the page then reopened and the new OS was installed as well. Thank you for your responses--I appreciate it very much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back