Holo Audio Red Streamer
Apr 24, 2024 at 9:35 PM Post #1,831 of 1,883
I have had gentooplayer on the red (don`t ask me which kernel) and Euphony Stylus on my Intel NUC. That was the best sound that i could get from the RED.
I`m now on a new DAC (Mola Mola Tambaqui) and use the RED as DDC (i2s). The Red and the Tambaqui are connected with the Tubulus Concentus I2S Cable.
I can highly praise this cable - it is a no brainer for I2S (IMHO)
We are on the same page. For me, Gentooplayer is the ultimate OS/Endpoint software to go for RPI base hardware.

Gentooplayer by itself already beat all other OS as end point streaming software. On top, you can further optimize better sound by
1) Real time kernal, CLTO kernal (additional cost)
2) RAM disk mode (come with Gentooplayer)
3) Profile (cpu core assignment optimization, also come with Gentooplayer)
4) Diretta built in (addional cost, but to me also a must!)
5) choice of music server (come with Gentooplayer, I use LMS with UPNP plugin)

My setup as follows:
RPI4B + Gentooplayer CLTO kernal + LMS (upnp plug-in) + USB M.2 SSD 1TB ->
RPI5B + UPNP + Diretta host ->
RPI5B + Gentooplayer CLTO kernal + Diretta Target ->
Tubulus Concentus USB Cable ->
Holo Red DDC ->
Tubulus Concentus i2s Cable V2 ->
Holo May KTE I2S

Likewise, now my goto cable are Tubulus! I tried to go back to my prevoius DH lab and Ansuz, can't. always back to Tubulus.

Result: Audio bliss.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 2:33 AM Post #1,832 of 1,883
We are on the same page. For me, Gentooplayer is the ultimate OS/Endpoint software to go for RPI base hardware.

Gentooplayer by itself already beat all other OS as end point streaming software. On top, you can further optimize better sound by
1) Real time kernal, CLTO kernal (additional cost)
2) RAM disk mode (come with Gentooplayer)
3) Profile (cpu core assignment optimization, also come with Gentooplayer)
4) Diretta built in (addional cost, but to me also a must!)
5) choice of music server (come with Gentooplayer, I use LMS with UPNP plugin)

My setup as follows:
RPI4B + Gentooplayer CLTO kernal + LMS (upnp plug-in) + USB M.2 SSD 1TB ->
RPI5B + UPNP + Diretta host ->
RPI5B + Gentooplayer CLTO kernal + Diretta Target ->
Tubulus Concentus USB Cable ->
Holo Red DDC ->
Tubulus Concentus i2s Cable V2 ->
Holo May KTE I2S

Likewise, now my goto cable are Tubulus! I tried to go back to my prevoius DH lab and Ansuz, can't. always back to Tubulus.

Result: Audio bliss.
Thanks for sharing, and in which way the gentoo players improve your Sound Quality and also the Tubulus compared with other I2s signal cables? More transparent, more dynamics, detailed? Texture? bass?

Apr 25, 2024 at 3:51 AM Post #1,833 of 1,883
Thanks for sharing, and in which way the gentoo players improve your Sound Quality and also the Tubulus compared with other I2s signal cables? More transparent, more dynamics, detailed? Texture? bass?
I am a very demanding in terms of sound, I want everything balance, quiet dark background of sound. Gentoo give you improvement in every aspect, focus, airy, texture, detail, dark background, staging, depth and width and height, transparent (speaker disappear), extended high without the fatigue, bass is full and texture, not muddied not blur, use with Holo May, strong point of May, live recording is like you are in the hall.

Tubulus compare to dhlab silver sonic hdmi 2.1, tubulus is what is describe above, dhlab is more rough, up front, narrower in everything, not that dhlab is bad just relatively speaking, Tubulus offer you much more in every aspect. Same for Tubulus USB vs Ansuz USB.

Apr 25, 2024 at 4:12 AM Post #1,834 of 1,883
Does GenToo support Tital streaming?

I didn't have good collection of music files, use tidal most of the time. Getting GenToo only for Tidal is worth?

Apr 25, 2024 at 1:02 PM Post #1,835 of 1,883
Hello I bought a Holo red from audiophonics and the microsd card is provided but a new one in original packaging so without any OS. Where can I find the HoloOS ?

Apr 25, 2024 at 1:24 PM Post #1,836 of 1,883
Hello I bought a Holo red from audiophonics and the microsd card is provided but a new one in original packaging so without any OS. Where can I find the HoloOS ?

HoloOS is pre-installed in the microsd card

Apr 25, 2024 at 5:16 PM Post #1,838 of 1,883
it works thanks. I'll first try Holo red OS, to compare with my rpi4 with roopie XL, then I may try out gentooplayer.... Do you have any recomandations using the red with a Hugo TT2 ?

Apr 26, 2024 at 4:36 PM Post #1,839 of 1,883
I am a very demanding in terms of sound, I want everything balance, quiet dark background of sound. Gentoo give you improvement in every aspect, focus, airy, texture, detail, dark background, staging, depth and width and height, transparent (speaker disappear), extended high without the fatigue, bass is full and texture, not muddied not blur, use with Holo May, strong point of May, live recording is like you are in the hall.

Tubulus compare to dhlab silver sonic hdmi 2.1, tubulus is what is describe above, dhlab is more rough, up front, narrower in everything, not that dhlab is bad just relatively speaking, Tubulus offer you much more in every aspect. Same for Tubulus USB vs Ansuz USB.
Thanks for your feedback.

your architecture sounds really complex, do you think also a standard i5 fanless PC roon rock installed can sound better installing on Holo Red the gentooplayers instead the Holo OS Red? Probably with the CLTO kernal as a roon bridge? (I see the option on Gentooplayers)? Where did you find the knowledge/documentations for this?

Apr 26, 2024 at 10:35 PM Post #1,840 of 1,883
I would love a support group for GentooPlayer . my understanding is it is NOT for new linux users.

Apr 26, 2024 at 10:39 PM Post #1,841 of 1,883
Possibly interesting for one or the other:
It seems that I can NOT access the Gentooplayer web interface from my Mac Mini M1 - for whatever reason.
From my Windows PC it works without any problems.

I have now received a test key, I am curious.
So how did you like gentoo player vs Dietpi?
I am Currently / have only used DietPi

Apr 27, 2024 at 4:12 AM Post #1,842 of 1,883
Apr 27, 2024 at 4:15 AM Post #1,843 of 1,883
Apr 27, 2024 at 4:22 AM Post #1,844 of 1,883
Thanks for your feedback.

your architecture sounds really complex, do you think also a standard i5 fanless PC roon rock installed can sound better installing on Holo Red the gentooplayers instead the Holo OS Red? Probably with the CLTO kernal as a roon bridge? (I see the option on Gentooplayers)? Where did you find the knowledge/documentations for this?
It's not that complicated once you understand how each component work. Of course you can simplify it by putting server + host together (one box)-> target (another box). Or even put everything together (without using diretta) in single RPI box.

I don't opt to use pc cos I don't run anything that require that much processing power. A LMS music server run perfectly great on RPI4. Of course each and everyone can pick your own option. Gentooplayer can run both x86 and RPI base hardware.

By the way I must declare I don't work for Gentooplayer and I don't even have any benefit from Gentooplayer. I paid in full about 5x donation (3x rpi4, 2x rpi5)+ diretta etc.

Apr 27, 2024 at 4:44 AM Post #1,845 of 1,883

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back